Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
Hello,

I am an enthusiast of this game, I loved it since my day one a little more than a year ago. I'm also a subscriber and proud.

While I'm aware that there could be a gazillion posts asking the same thing as mine, I want to, no I need to say it all the same:

----> This game needs a solid increase in pvp game content. New maps, new battle modes.<----

It's just amazing to see what the players have done with so little (PvP boot camp, guides etc.), but that is also because of the very high level of this game's pvp mechanic (space, a little more than ground). Cryptic succeded in creating a system where position, maneuvers, skills and a ton of other customization options count toward winning the day. Nothing like the many equipment-centric and ultimatly boring pvp systems of other games.
Cryptic here has all the cards in hand to set itself even more apart and possibly ahead of many other games also by investing in this aspect of STO.

I will continue to do pvp, because I like it nevertheless, and also because it's a steady Dil income, wheter you win or lose (this could also be reworked, not the Dil gain, that's too important, but maybe there's another way to reward winning players a bit more. Maybe another reputation tier, they seem to work pretty well after all) but I would like to see a ton more players joing in. That can be achieved only by what I stressed before: more maps, more battle modes.

Thank you for reading Cryptic.
I wrote this post because there was no mention of pvp whatsoever in the upcoming expansion or in the subsequent season ... although I really hope to be wrong on this one.

Live long and prosper.
Captain
# 2
04-09-2013, 03:34 AM
Don't worry, we've been trying to tell them the same thing for 3 years now.

And we always get the same canned response: "PvP updates are in the pipeline"/"PvP isn't in a state where we'd like it to be, and we'd love to improve it!"

Fun fact: PvP has actually lost content. Way back when, Cryptic decided to remove a map and entire game type (Space Assault) because they felt that not enough people played it.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Career Officer
# 3
04-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Wow... that's disturbing xD

Thank you anyway, I'm happy to see that this has been stressed a lot.
Obviously not knowing their economic strategy I can't figure out why they have not already put their hands on this very urgent matter.

But they do. So Cyrptic if you are out there, this is a remiiiiiiindeeeeeeer!!

Empire Veteran
# 4
04-09-2013, 03:42 AM
our hope hinges on the rumored pvp dev foundry tool that was developed for neverwinter, retrofitted to work with sto too. its apparently basically impossible to add to pvp without such a tool, and soon we will have one. maybe. so soon might actually be true this time.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 5
04-09-2013, 03:45 AM
WOW I didn't know there was a PVP feature for the Neverwinter foundry... that's amazing!

This sheds some hope for this matter
Captain
# 6
04-09-2013, 03:53 AM
As great as that sounds how would that even work?

PvP population could not support dozens if not hundreds of new maps being generated by such a toolset.

To be effective, only Cryptic should leverage it. Release it to the community could be devastating.
Empire Veteran
# 7
04-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Why do people want new (space) maps? It's not like people use terrain or anything - most of the time everyone ends up on the ceiling anyway.

Now, new mechanics, like capture the flag, might be interesting. On the other hand, nobody ever played the old assault maps.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 8
04-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
Why do people want new (space) maps? It's not like people use terrain or anything - most of the time everyone ends up on the ceiling anyway.

Now, new mechanics, like capture the flag, might be interesting. On the other hand, nobody ever played the old assault maps.
The same 3 maps over and over and over again have gotten old - especially when one of them (Solar Wind) causes massive lag for some people.

But, I agree fully. New mechanics are very much needed as well.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Captain
# 9
04-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Did the old Space Assault map even work? The only times I ever tried it, it was busted.

On topic: I'd agree that we need more stuff. I'd particularly like to see a ground cap' and hold map (how hard could that be, when we already have it for space?).
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters

Last edited by capnmanx; 04-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Commander
# 10
04-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Oh Yes, Please! With Sugar on top!

I love to pvp and with so many very cool looking environments to draw upon I cannot understand why pvp is stuck with those 3 very tired maps.