Career Officer
# 401
04-09-2013, 08:38 AM
The GM's used to listen to the one silence wrongfully. I presume they check the status of your ban and did their research. Now they have just become either ignorant, complacent, lazy or they just don't care about their customers except for their money.

Either which way you put it they are not going to help you anymore which is very sad and very poor customer service.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
Career Officer
# 402
04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
So people are now in game as moderators ?

So if people roleplay God and ban other people no one will feel sorry?Can you speak for yourself?
Not sure how you misinterpreted what I said, but yes the silencing system is a form of moderation -- if a certain number of people put someone on ignore within a certain time window, that person is temporarily suspended (silenced) for 24 hours from talking in chat or by mail. As for my response, the poster had said he been silenced for the thousandth time -- ask yourself what's more likely, a vast conspiracy of people silencing him day after day, or rather he's doing something that is frowned upon over and over and still hasn't gotten the idea. As I said before, the simplest possibility is the latter.

It's hardly God roleplay since it's a temporary measure and no single person is silencing anyone else -- it requires a certain number of people. The poster made it clear he was saying offensive things ('hey, <fill in fleet name> sucks!' or that the person just sucks in general) and that's why he had gotten silenced in the past. He gave no indication he was going to stop doing that. As such, I don't think anyone is going to really miss that kind of behavior -- but if you do, you are more than welcome to speak up. I hope that doesn't leave any confusion this time.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)

Last edited by phyrexianhero; 04-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Captain
# 403
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
As for my response, the poster had said he been silenced for the thousandth time -- ask yourself what's more likely, a vast conspiracy of people silencing him day after day, or rather he's doing something that is frowned upon over and over and still hasn't gotten the idea. As I said before, the simplest possibility is the latter.

Is not like there are troll fleets who do that for fun or that thing can and is an exploit.

Hope you know that things happen everywhere for no reason both in game and in real life.

Quote:
It's hardly God roleplay since it's a temporary measure and no single person is silencing anyone else -- it requires a certain number of people. The poster made it clear he was saying offensive things ('hey, <fill in fleet name> sucks!' or that the person just sucks in general) and that's why he had gotten silenced in the past. He gave no indication he was going to stop doing that. As such, I don't think anyone is going to really miss that kind of behavior -- but if you do, you are more than welcome to speak up. I hope that doesn't leave any confusion this time.
So in a MMO (multiplayer with multi humans) is hard to get a team to spam chat bans?
What has his opinion to do with the ability to chat in fleet chat or PM or Mail?Its like only 12 year olds play this game.
Do you know that theres a chat command that allows you and your friends ban anyone even if that person is offline ,you only need their handle?Do you know that if something can be exploited it WILL be exploited because thats how humans work.

I already said that I dont blame those who exploit this...its their way of getting fun from game ,but I blame Cryptic for allowing exploits that ban people .I am against all types of bans...check eve online ,people seem happy with no bans policy.Btw I dont have any person on my ignore list simply because I know the s*** system can lead to bans.I am a player not a judge to decide what is spam and who deserves a chat ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
The GM's used to listen to the one silence wrongfully. I presume they check the status of your ban and did their research. Now they have just become either ignorant, complacent, lazy or they just don't care about their customers except for their money.

Either which way you put it they are not going to help you anymore which is very sad and very poor customer service.
lol Ive seen people who were banned for a hour because they were making gorn jokes....so seriously ,they need to send those GM (aka Gorn Managers) to a vacation to relax

Last edited by adrianm63; 04-09-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Lieutenant
# 404
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Obviously you cannot understand a few things here, person who seems to back this idiotic form of "moderation".

I linked an item in ZONE chat TWICE and have been silenced for it for like the 10th time, quit reading to much into what someone says, you are just wasting digi space.

If ME linking an item twice is frowned upon, the other 27,000 people doing it AT The SAME time and not getting silenced is bull.

I see you are trying to explain this, form of moderation. I think it is dumb. and by a few other postsers here, they think it is dumb as well. if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along. It is an assinine system they have in place. They need to get rid of it, plain and simple.

Have i been silenced for other things? Yes i have been. have i learned my lesson not to do it? Of course.

This system is plain stupid. I have played many other MMO's, that didnt have such a frustrating system in place.

Crytpic should be smart and do away with it.
Career Officer
# 405
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamujiin View Post
Obviously you cannot understand a few things here, person who seems to back this idiotic form of "moderation".

I linked an item in ZONE chat TWICE and have been silenced for it for like the 10th time, quit reading to much into what someone says, you are just wasting digi space.

If ME linking an item twice is frowned upon, the other 27,000 people doing it AT The SAME time and not getting silenced is bull.

I see you are trying to explain this, form of moderation. I think it is dumb. and by a few other postsers here, they think it is dumb as well. if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along. It is an assinine system they have in place. They need to get rid of it, plain and simple.

Have i been silenced for other things? Yes i have been. have i learned my lesson not to do it? Of course.

This system is plain stupid. I have played many other MMO's, that didnt have such a frustrating system in place.

Crytpic should be smart and do away with it.
Cryptic should make changes -- I think a ton of people have said as much in this thread, including myself (most notably: make it so you can still mail, PM, and talk to friends and fleet).

Keep in mind that when you're silenced it's because a certain number of people put you on ignore within a time window -- you may have done some things earlier that got you a number of ignores, and the time you double linked an item in zone chat was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Ten times is a very large amount. I've actually never personally heard of anyone being silenced more than 3 times ever. As you pointed out, people link items all the time in zone chat -- either they're all getting silenced as well or they're not getting a sufficient number of people to ignore them to get them silenced.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice: "if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along."
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Rihannsu
# 406
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post

Are you mentioning STO GMs or from some other game?

April 2010, 2 mons after launch, cruising in Sirius headed down to K7, said hello to someone in Zone in passing, next thing I know, ZAP - you've been silenced for 24 hrs. Submitted a ticket with chat logs as reference. Didn't hear a peep out of any GM's. Automated reply to the ticket 3 days later - "your issue has been resolved". Lesson learned, don't chat in Zone.
Commander
# 407
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Thirdly: while GMs can theoretically do something about it, the silence lasts 24 hours and it seems that it is almost always over before they can do an investigation on it.
Actually...

I e-mailed a GM once when I got silenced. I was basically told, "Because we're nice, we'll turn off the chat ban early. But we'll do this ONCE. And NEVER again."

It's a load of crock, that's what it is.

Remember: Working as designed.

And Neverwinter is launching with this system at the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
Do you know that theres a chat command that allows you and your friends ban anyone even if that person is offline ,you only need their handle?Do you know that if something can be exploited it WILL be exploited because thats how humans work.
Quoted for truth. You don't even have to be logged in in order to be chat banned. That's how poorly this entire system works.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.

Last edited by somebob; 04-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Career Officer
I get first place again in CE.. not sure why but I was excited, so i typed in group chat "I got first, yay" and then posted the items i had.. which were a console and shield, and then soon after as someone asked me a quesstion.. Ive been silenced... Really.

24hrs of silence, because I said I came in first in CE.. wow... this system of muting people needs to be looked at desperatly.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Lieutenant
# 409
04-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
This would be a clear form of harassment and said users involved would ultimately be in serious trouble. Just fair warning.
Then perhaps something should be done about the people that ARE abusing it, hmmm?

Years now, people have been asking Cryptic to rework it so it can't be abused over in Champions Online....but no. Standard response is "working as intended."

Now it seems those same abusers are spreading the wealth to the other current release of Cryptic's. Can't wait to see how long it takes until Neverwinter has more than one person silenced.

Oh, that's RIGHT!! Neverwinter, in its beta testing stage has ALREADY HAD ONE PERSON COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SILENCED.
Commander
# 410
04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcmercy View Post
Oh, that's RIGHT!! Neverwinter, in its beta testing stage has ALREADY HAD ONE PERSON COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SILENCED.
Frankly I'm glad people are starting to make a fuss over in NW about it.

Maybe (yeah right) then people will realize how stupid this whole thing is and get Cryptic to change/remove it.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.