Captain
# 81
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
Well, previously, I hadn't really had an "avatar" for her yet. I thought it might lead to some interesting interactions with the crew. Rather than talking to her over the intercom, I thought it would give her a unique perspective, with her not only being the ship itself, but also now seeming more like a member of the crew as well. I believe where I wrote the retrofit for the ship-wide holo projectors in the supplement I wrote to my Lone Drone entry. I'd have to check to be for certain. Anyway, as I said, feel free to use my idea I'd take it as more of a compliment than anything if you were to do that.
Ahh, that might've just been me misreading then... I'd always envisaged Athena as having a holographic presence, so when I read 'new', (and given how I figured Claire would go for the most statistically common appearance) I thought she might have chosen to alter her appearance And absolutely, I'll be sure to feature Claire in future LCs where the opportunity presents itself Next on my 'to do list' is a little 'in between' bridging piece before the next LC is presented...
Rihannsu
# 82
04-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Ahh, that might've just been me misreading then... I'd always envisaged Athena as having a holographic presence, so when I read 'new', (and given how I figured Claire would go for the most statistically common appearance) I thought she might have chosen to alter her appearance And absolutely, I'll be sure to feature Claire in future LCs where the opportunity presents itself Next on my 'to do list' is a little 'in between' bridging piece before the next LC is presented...
You're not the only one with a to-do list Mine (at present) consists of:

Bryan's parent's racism
Bryan's half-sister (NOT saying anything about that one at present. Read, and you shall see)
Write more about the crew off-the-clock
Give some more details about Bryan's affinity for tactics

The list goes on, but I can't say much more without spoiling to much. I fear mentioning the second plot may have been, but alas, I cannot change what I say. Well, actually, the edit feature allows me to do just that. Eh, I'll just leave it for now
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 83
04-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Ironphoenix--very nice battle sequences there! A lot of us ignore the "admiral" rank and write as captains, so it was interesting to see what the battle looks like at the admiral level!

Cmdrscarlet--I have to admit, it's hard for me to see how, as Kathryn's vendetta becomes clear, discontent and suspicion would NOT emerge. I know I would have no confidence in her as my CO, if I became aware of the events you have described. Especially the one where she (rather sadistically) had the ship ram that drone. The fact that the order was followed without protest, or the ship's CMO forcing her off duty for a psych eval is one I haven't gotten.

Please bear in mind that above all it's your choice. I just find myself thinking the ambiguity could be appearing because it would be a natural consequence of a Starfleet captain taking the actions you have described to satisfy her vendetta.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Lt. Commander
# 84
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Here's a new thought - since several of us have been around for a while, why don't we suggest "stretch" topics to help each other out? I'm talking about breaking away from recurring themes, new points of view, different characters, etc. I'm thinking this is a polite way to help each other grow as writers.

@ cmdrscarlet - could you write a story focused on a different crew member? I can't remember much about your other bridge officers.

@ marcusdkane - what is Palmer's weakness?

@ sander233 - could you aim for shorter entries? The pirate one was the perfect length.

Hopefully I will think of more comments along these lines for other people. Feel free to suggest things for me.
Captain
# 85
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I'd say that those sorts of things should only be taken as options--not obligations for the authors. We all have our own styles and a right to those styles.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 04-10-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Captain
# 86
04-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Sharp action, and some quirky humor, nice polishing
Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week, and Aric the very rare Caitian Assault Squad Officer was born. I run on quite a bit of COD4 when writing about MACOs, but really I find that it contrasts neatly with Starfleet's much more clean culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@khayuung - I hope you can appreciate that I'll provide feedback when your piece is finished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Same here. I struggle trying to read works-in-progress.
No problem guys! Thanks for even reading it, when I really am just writing whatever I feel like writing about. XD

Just a little word about the Yamato and her named crew. You can see that Minase plus most of the officers on her ship isn't S31, only her flag officer is. You also notice that she and her bridge officers all are not only humans, but they are also Japanese. There's a reason for this xenophobia. Ever since she discovered Yuung's S31 affiliation, and that he holds as much clout as Drake in the orbat charts, Iori has been wary about new crew transfers and things that go bump on her ship. Being placed in command of the Yamato in 2412 meant that she needed more hands, but at the same time, she wanted to have enough faces who aren't S31 so that she can continue to act as the watcher of the Task Force. So she picked some juniors from Starfleet whom she grew up with in Edo Bay, Japan, and they recommended their friends, which led to this strange, atypical make-up amongst the senior staff.

Yuung allows it because its practical. That has always been his principle: Ideals work until they stop doing so, because that's when realism takes hold. Which was why Mother recruited him, amongst other attributes like being utterly forgettable, never standing out and always getting the job done.

Sevens tend to be rather informal with one another because 3 years ago, all their captains and admirals (with the exception of Nishizumi) were Ensigns of the same class fresh out of Starfleet. Even Nishizumi of the USS Dreamriser was a couple years their junior back in the Academy.

I also write in the perspective of a Task Force as it allows me to focus on a single ship or a fleet of them, keep shuffling perspectives, change ships, and introduce and send away characters at will, giving the vibe of a bustling active series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 04-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Captain
# 87
04-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week

I do the exact same thing for mine. That's where Willie Wurz came from. Yes, I actually have her as a tactical doff in my roster.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 88
04-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
You're not the only one with a to-do list Mine (at present) consists of:

Bryan's parent's racism
Bryan's half-sister (NOT saying anything about that one at present. Read, and you shall see)
Write more about the crew off-the-clock
Give some more details about Bryan's affinity for tactics

The list goes on, but I can't say much more without spoiling to much. I fear mentioning the second plot may have been, but alas, I cannot change what I say. Well, actually, the edit feature allows me to do just that. Eh, I'll just leave it for now
Them's some meaty topics That's not saying too much at all, it's not spoilers, just a quick outline of what's to come
Captain
# 89
04-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
what is Palmer's weakness?
Cruising bath-houses for strange

Joking aside, I'd say her biggest weakness is self-imposed isolation and a fear of loss. A relationship with a fellow officer early in her career ended with their death in duty, and that's not something she's willing to allow happen again. While the door of her quarters is 'always open' (as it's the closest thing she has to a ready room) she would never have social functions, or visit the crew lounges...
Captain
# 90
04-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week, and Aric the very rare Caitian Assault Squad Officer was born. I run on quite a bit of COD4 when writing about MACOs, but really I find that it contrasts neatly with Starfleet's much more clean culture.
It works nicely, as you say, it's a good contrast to Starfleet polish Have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Caitans, but I did think Aric was rather cool