Career Officer
# 81
04-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I'd be inclined to call it "Nuts and Bolts" but that doesn't seem very Star Trek (and may not be immediately obvious)....

Oh, how about "Main Engineering (Classes, Powers, Traits, Mechanics, etc)"?
How about "Nuts and (stem)bolts

Otherwise, I like the overall layout as posted by Bran...
- For the news section, yes a neutral name would be nice and "Q Continuum Daily News" or "Captain's Table Telegraph" as suggested are good examples.
- I do wish for each factions to retain their sub-forum and it seems it will be that way for the convenience of the devs anyway... Feds will not care so much as it's raining in Qo'nos or Klingon care how much Tribble are loose on SFA campus ground.
- Leave how "Feedbacks" is, after all, a dev working on ships mechanics will know where to pick suggestions off instead of browsing a giant feedback overall forum while another dev wanting to change a trait will not want to read through 100s of posts about shield mechanics.
- I agree names for fleet administartion station, use location names... after all, you called it STATION, so go for Earth Spacedock, First City and Mol'Rihan.

Overall, nice reorganization. There will never be a perfect layout but this one starts to be the best setup thus far.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)

Last edited by redshirtthefirst; 04-10-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 82
04-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Information Network

.News
.Dev Tracker
.Update Notes
.C-Store and Promotions

Feedback & Discussions

.The Academy (New players, newbie questions)
.General Discussion (All things not covered by another category)
.Classes, Ships & Mechanics (classes, Ships, BOFFs, traits, powers, builds, etc.)
.Events and Queue content (STFs, Fleet Actions, queued and calendar events, non-story missions etc.)
.Duty Officer System
.Fleet Holdings System
.Reputation System
.Federation Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
.Klingon Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
.Romulan Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Controls and User Interface
.Art, Graphics and Sound

Off Duty

.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
.Qo'noS
.New Romulus

The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
.The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Support

.Gameplay issues
.Graphical Issues
.PC & Technical Issues

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
.Tribble - Bug Reports
.Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
.Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
.Redshirt - Bug Reports
.Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Also, I've reached out to the content devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.
Unfortunate, it would make things simpler and more concentrated for the players. Especially in the light of the Story Episodes converge after a point, and content remains similar. It may or may not also serve as an indirect incentive for players to try other faction content, if they read about it, which they aren't likely to if it's separate from the area they usually visit.

.The Shipyard
.Captains and Bridge Officers (classes, traits, powers, builds, etc.)

The problem with these two is that they cover much of the same areas, people will be asking for builds, but that will encompass both sections usually, as it involves both ground and space layouts, BOFF setups for both, and so forth. But it would also likely be too much if lumped together in a Classes, Ships and Mechanics section. Or would it? I've merged the two in the above suggestion layout.

Last edited by aexrael; 04-10-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Ensign
# 83
04-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Latest News & Information
- Alpha Quadrant News
- Release Notes
- C-Store & Promotions
You know that Klingon and Romulan space is in the beta quadrant, don't you?
Community Moderator
# 84
04-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Maybe "Captains and Bridge Officers" should be " Captains, Bridge Officers and Mechanics"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
And you'll have people wondering why they can't be Mechanics in the game

I'm going to vote in favor of a subforum called "Engineering Deck" to be described as discussion of gameplay mechanics and balance.

Under Academy, I still think you should have a separate subheading for Player Guides.

. The Academy
.. Player Guides

Scrolling past all of those stickies to find recent posts is a bit frustrating.

Not sure if the current forum software can handle it, but putting a "jump link" to the Support forums under The Academy might help people looking for help of a more technical nature.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Community Moderator
# 85
04-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Oh, almost forgot.

I think you should change this:

.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

To this:

.Ten Forward
.."To Boldly Go..."

Role Play Central doesn't sound very Trek to me.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Empire Veteran
# 86
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Hi Captains,

Thanks so much for the feedback in this thread. I've compiled it and have come up with the following organization based on it:
Information and Discussion

.<Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)
.Release Notes
.Dev Tracker
.Gameplay Questions (Yes your choice is more canon but you need to have a subforum with "questions" so that people don't post them in random sections)
..Guides. (former stickies, there should be no sticky in the former academy)
.Star Trek Online General Discussion
.Ten Forward
.Role Play Central (why in ten forward? It should be visible on the main board, don't be afraid!)

Support (If you rename the academy, this section could be moved so that support questions don't get posted there).

.Gameplay Bugs
.PC & Technical Issues
.Graphical Issues

Feedback

.Federation Gameplay
.Klingon Gameplay
.Romulan Gameplay
.PvE queues, Feature Episodes and Events
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.The Shipyard
.Builds: Captains and Bridge Officers
.Duty Officer System
.Fleet Holdings System
.Reputation System
.Controls and User Interface
.The Art of Star Trek Online
.C-Store and Promotions

The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
.The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
.Qo'noS
.New Romulus

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
.Tribble - Bug Reports
.Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
.Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
.Redshirt - Bug Reports
.Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback
This is by no means final, so I'd like to continue discussing the above, as well as other ideas.

Also, I've reached out to the content devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
My suggestions in red and some comments. I think clarity should be valued over canon names.

Last edited by diogene0; 04-10-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 87
04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Scrolling past all of those stickies to find recent posts is a bit frustrating.
That's why one of you lot should take the time to make an Index Sticky. You are welcome to copy/paste the code off this and use it as the foundation. It may need a check over to see if any of the threads linked have been outdated in the past 9 months, and whether any new ones have been posted around the forum.
Republic Veteran
# 88
04-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Subspace News Service!
Empire Veteran
# 89
04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
I asked the content team and it's easier for them to find and act on feedback when it's separated as there are many aspects of gameplay that is unique by faction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
well, you could do a pve sections, and make a fed, rom, and kdf subsection for more specific issues. their own full forum section just doesn't seem necessary
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 90
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
In regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
well, you could do a pve sections, and make a fed, rom, and kdf subsection for more specific issues. their own full forum section just doesn't seem necessary
I can empathize with that, but if the content team is requesting it and it makes it easier for them to find and act on feedback, we should consider keeping it separate. In the end, players are posting in the feedback forums so that the devs read and consider their feedback -- if this makes it easier for them to do that, it's a win-win for all

====

For the RP Subforum, what would you think of "Captain's Table"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Closed Thread