Lt. Commander
# 1 Carrier pets
04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Would they be overpowered if they were immune to damage from warp core breaches/exploding ships?

I love carrier gameplay, and aside from certain cases, I can manage my fighters pretty well. However, no matter how hard I try, I can't manage to avoid losing most of them every time a borg cube (or other big ship) explodes.

The two things I'd love to see is a pet window showing the health and allowing selection (like your team icons) of all my existing fighters (or saucer if you separate, or worker bees if you deploy those, whatever), and making them immune to those explosions.

Currently the only way to save them from that is to pull them off the target at 20% (or higher) and running away, which is kind of... unacceptable if you're actually trying to kill something. In the case of saucer separation and other deployables, you don't even have the option to pull them off their target, you have to simply let them die and eat the cooldown.
Career Officer
# 2
04-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Don't need to be immune, just need to be smart enough not to sit there waiting for the boom. Cryptic needs to program the AI to stay outside of blast range after the target drops below 20% or so.

If they can't do that, then I guess, yeah, make them immune.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2013, 10:45 PM
The pet AI is terrible. It's the reason I stopped flying a Vesta altogether, and now regret the purchase not to mention the DIL I spent on the purple Peregrine's only to see they were just as fail as the Runabouts because they park themselves onto the nearest warp core breach like moths to a flame.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Republic Veteran
Guys, don't forget, you can just keep pumping those pets out... what real carrier do you know of that has an unending supply of fighters? Anyway, just imo, but i pump em out for their primary attacks (jhas pets) at least if they get damaged enough, they ram
Career Officer
# 5
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Don't need to be immune, just need to be smart enough not to sit there waiting for the boom. Cryptic needs to program the AI to stay outside of blast range after the target drops below 20% or so.

If they can't do that, then I guess, yeah, make them immune.
this^^^^^^^^

and is it me or do the pets half A$$ follow you like going to full impulse ?
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 6
04-10-2013, 12:22 AM
I suggested that pets be immune to warp core breach a long time ago. People who flew carriers liked the other idea, but there was a curiously large number of people who thought this would be overpowered. I honestly don't get it. Is the lack of AI features that leads to pets mass-suiciding on exploding ships actually meant to be a balancing mechanic? I kind of doubt it.
Empire Veteran
# 7
04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
There was suppose to be new ui for pets coming out like two years ago to fix the warp core problem.
Also, the ui for all frigate suck recently.

Anyways I guess new featured projects are more important.
Empire Veteran
# 8
04-10-2013, 10:26 AM
All Hanger Support needs to be given a situational Evasive Maneuvers that they automatically use when their selected target has 0 HP to either return to the Carrier or speed off to the next selected target.

The only Hanger Support that I've seen kind of deal with Warp Core Explosions half way decently are the ABOP, they kind of try to get out of dodge before the big bang and they are sturdy enough to sometimes survive the splash damage.

The ABOP also look pretty badass when they come flying out of a Borg cubes warp core explosion