# 91
04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm partial to "Quark's Bar" myself, for the RP forum
Career Officer
# 92
04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
For the RP Subforum, what would you think of "Captain's Table"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I'd suggest Holodeck, but you guys already use that for the name of the Live Server.
Super Moderator
# 93
04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrenos View Post
I'm partial to "Quark's Bar" myself, for the RP forum
Honestly like Quark's Bar more than Captains table as well.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Super Moderator
# 94
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
That's why one of you lot should take the time to make an Index Sticky. You are welcome to copy/paste the code off this and use it as the foundation. It may need a check over to see if any of the threads linked have been outdated in the past 9 months, and whether any new ones have been posted around the forum.
I have done post indexes before on other forums, for my own topics.

Let me tell you why I'm not volunteering to do it here.

One, it takes a lot of time to update the index with new posts/threads and culling out the outdated ones. You have to find them, get the link, and update the index post by hand. It's a lot of work even if you're just updating an index for stuff you personally post, let alone what everyone else posts here on a daily basis.

I have enough work just being a Mod.

Two, it's ridiculously easy for links to get broken for various reasons.

Three, if the person who created the index quits updating it, then it's dead. Then some other poor soul is stuck creating a new one. Same deal with the actual posts/guides that you link to. Rinse and repeat.

Four, the forum itself IS an index, and it's a lot more efficient than anything you or I could cobble together by hand. It just needs to be organized correctly and that's what we're talking about right now.

If a future version of the forum software allows users to create a "Favorites" list of threads that they can share, that would be way better.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 04-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Super Moderator
# 95
04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
Honestly like Quark's Bar more than Captains table as well.
I'm good either way.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Empire Veteran
# 96
04-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
In regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.

Thoughts?
the truth is, you could stick anything that will fit in any of your equipment slots and do any of the pve just fine. you don't have to actually make good builds, have good equipment, and create good synergy unless your trying to build a ship that will do well in pvp. so thats why then best mechanics, tactics, and build advice ends up there. best part is, everything that works in pvp will work great in pve, except maybe a sci/sci build to control other player ships.

i haven't seen much in the other sections that is supposed to address these things that i would call good advice, good information or good builds. its all in the pvp section, because you cant get away with sub par wile pvping. the best information is just there.

if the devs arent looking in the pvp section to find out what people are talking about regarding these things, they are looking at the wrong places. i know at least borticus checks the place out.

Quote:
I can empathize with that, but if the content team is requesting it and it makes it easier for them to find and act on feedback, we should consider keeping it separate. In the end, players are posting in the feedback forums so that the devs read and consider their feedback -- if this makes it easier for them to do that, it's a win-win for all

====

For the RP Subforum, what would you think of "Captain's Table"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
those separate sections are going to be dead zones. im sure they would like to be in charge of monitoring sections that hardly get any posts and almost no traffic. combined they should get a good amount of traffic and an amount of threads created that will still be pretty easy to keep up with.

i think the forum setup needs as much thought to dev preference, as to how many redundant niche sections that would create, and how little that will actually help players, trying to connect player questions with player traffic that can answer those questions. it all sounds like a product ruined by comity wanting arbitrary things, because thats what they like, but not what their consumer would like. if theres to many redundant sections, the forum becomes useless.

Information and Discussion

.Game News
.Release Notes
.Dev Tracker
.Star Trek Online General Discussion and Feedback
.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

Feedback

.PVE Story Gameplay
.PVE Qued content Gameplay
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Space and Ships Game Mechanics Help
.Ground and Captain Game Mechanics Help
.Duty Officer System
.Reputation and Fleet Holdings Systems
.Controls and User Interface
.The Art of Star Trek Online
.C-Store and Promotions

ditch the academy too, the game mechanics section should cover everything. the qued content is all basically cross faction, and so is a lot of the story content. really, very little of the story will be unique per factions going forward. the fetured episodes are cross faction, and now the cardasian sector is cross faction. only the kdf war and rom sector missions for fed are unique, the fek'lar and house of martok missions for kdf is unique, and the romulan up to 10, and then beyond that a bit is unique for romulans. how could you possibly justify a section for just the fek'lar and martok missions?
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Rihannsu
# 97
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
...if theres to many redundant sections, the forum becomes useless.
I totally agree.

Quote:
Information and Discussion

.Game News
.Release Notes
.Dev Tracker
.Star Trek Online General Discussion and Feedback
.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

Feedback

.PVE Story Gameplay
.PVE Qued content Gameplay
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Space and Ships Game Mechanics Help
.Ground and Captain Game Mechanics Help
.Duty Officer System
.Reputation and Fleet Holdings Systems
.The Art of Star Trek Online
.C-Store and Promotions
Frankly, I'd even say PvE Story/Q'd content could be merged, but >shrug< either way, I love this set up. Streamlined. Easy to find things/know where to put things.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Republic Veteran
# 98
04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
ditch the academy too, the game mechanics section should cover everything.
Ditching the Academy makes sense if it's not going to be organized properly and just a dumping ground for random questions and outdated stickies.

Quote:
In regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.

Thoughts?
I don't think it makes sense to separate Space and Ground. It seems like a needless irritation for the players, having to divide their questions in two separate threads, when they ask for help/discuss/suggest ect.

New suggestion

Information Network

.News
.Dev Tracker
.Update Notes
.C-Store and Promotions

Feedback & Discussions

.General Discussion (Discussion of news, dev blogs, general stuff not covered by other sections)
.PvE Gameplay (Classes, Ships, BOFFs, traits, powers, builds, mechanics etc.)
.PvE Queued Content (STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar, events, non-story missions)
.Story Missions (All three factions, it is what makes the most sense, despite separate developers in charge of different faction missions, ideally players could label their threads with prefixes of [ROM][FED][KDF] designating the type of content in the thread, some forums already have this feature implemented, but setting it manually can work too)
.Duty Officer System
.Fleet Holdings System
.Reputation System
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Art, Graphics and Sound

Off Duty

.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
.Qo'noS
.New Romulus

The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
.The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Support

.Gameplay issues
.Graphical Issues
.PC & Technical Issues

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
.Tribble - Bug Reports
.Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
.Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
.Redshirt - Bug Reports
.Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback
Republic Veteran
# 99
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Does the STO forums support Prefixes for threads Branflakes? See example, they also use vBulletin.
Super Moderator
# 100
04-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Feedback Vs. Discussion Vs. Player Guides/Tips

AND

Dev-Focused/Community-Focused

These are make-or-break paradigms for the forum reorg as I see it.

Right now, we have people posting similar topics in different subforums... basically wherever they want based on what they think the subforum is about.

"Oh, I'm posting my Uber-BoP build... it belongs in the Klingon Shipyard!"

I disagree.

We've got people posting Guides, Tips, and Builds in Feedback subforums. Frankly, they don't belong there.

It strikes me that these forums are mostly intended by PWE/Cryptic to be focused on Feedback first, Cryptic-to-Community communication second, and Player-to-Player third.

"Feedback" is not Player-to-Player. It's Community-to-Cryptic. Off-topic discussions that aren't "Community-to-Cryptic" don't belong in Feedback subforums, IMO. This is where the Devs go to find specific feedback and it shouldn't be cluttered up with anything that isn't a Community-to-Cryptic issue.

By the same token, we do need a few subforums that are more Community-Focused.

There's also the fact that players are going to post in the first available subforum that seems to fit what they want to talk about, even if it doesn't. This is why order of subforums, naming of subforums, and description of subforums is very important.

Community-Focused subforums are either Player-to-Player or Cryptic-to-Player communication. It should be clear that these are not intended to be monitored by the Devs for Gameplay feedback. Mods like me should be looking at these for feedback threads/individual posts and relocating them where they need to go.

The Academy was always intended to be for Player-to-Player communication, for example. This is where all of those guides, builds, and tips ought to be put. I concede that we might need to break out "child" forums for various subtypes of "helps". This is a very specific kind of Player-to-Player communication and general discussion topics don't belong here. Questions that only Cryptic can answer belong in feedback subforums.

If you pull out the Academy, where will all of that Player-to-Player stuff go? Cluttering up a feedback subforum.

People who are serious about feedback should seek out an appropriate Feedback subforum. And the Mods should be looking in these subforums for off-topic threads and relocating those.

Now perhaps I'm wrong about this. Maybe it's okay to lump Cryptic-Focused and Community-focused threads together into related subjects. Well then, if that's the case we should get serious about reorganizing it like that. Lose the idea of "Feedback" and "Discussion" subforums and make it all topical. Maybe encourage people to tag their subject lines as [Feedback] and [Discussion], to help the Devs find what they're looking for.

Last edited by bluegeek; 04-10-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Closed Thread