Career Officer
# 101
04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
For the news forum, call it the Captain's Table Daily Telegraph

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Community Moderator
# 102 A Topical Taxonomy of Sub-Fora
04-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Okay, if we accept the paradigm that subforums should be topically-oriented and that it's okay to mix feedback (Dev-focused) and discussion (Community-focused) as long as the topics are specific enough, I have a more radical proposal to make.

A Topical Taxonomy

Information [Cryptic-to-Community]
. News
. Release Notes
. Dev Tracker

Discussion, Feedback, and Support [Community-to-Cryptic, Community-to-Community]
. Ten Forward (General Discussion)
.. Role-Play
. Powers and Mechanics (Feedback and Discussion)
.. Space (PvE)
.. Space (PvP)
.. Ground (PvE)
.. Ground (PvP)
.. Captains and Bridge Officers
. PvE Gameplay
.. STF's
.. Fleet Actions, PvE Queues, and Events
.. Featured Episodes and Cross-Faction Content
.. Builds
. PvP Gameplay
.. Maps and Arenas
.. PvP Queues and Events
.. Builds
. Federation Discussion
.. Federation Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Federation Fleets
. Klingon Discussion
.. Klingon Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Klingon Fleets
. Romulan Discussion
.. Romulan Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Romulan Fleets
. Shipyard (Feedback about Stats, Features, Equipment, and Art)
.. Federation Ships
.. Klingon Ships
.. Romulan Ships
.. Cross-Faction Ships
. Duty Officer and Commendation System
. Fleet Holdings and Reputation System
. Controls and User Interface
. Star Trek Online Art
. The Foundry
. Technical Support (Support Issues not covered by another topic)
.. PC and Connectivity Issues
.. Graphical Issues
.. Bugs
. C-Store, Lobi Store, Vendors, and Promotions

Test Servers [Cryptic-to-Community, Community-to-Cryptic]
. Tribble
.. Discussion and Feedback
.. Release Notes and Bug Reports
. Redshirt

Feel free to tear it apart.

You'll notice a few things about this.

One, I got rid of the Academy. Guides and questions would belong in specific topic areas.

Two, liberal use of "child" sub-fora.

Three, "Powers and Mechanics" has been separated out into its own group; all of those technical balance questions, feedback, and debates would go in there.

Four, builds go in either PvE or PvP Gameplay since they tend to be specific to one or the other and because the scope of builds includes ships, skills, gear, and bridge officers.

Five, all Faction-specific gameplay and discussion is grouped per-Faction, with the exception of ships.

Six, the Shipyard is no longer about builds or gameplay mechanics (which get covered in other topics) but rather feedback about specific ships and ship equipment.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 103
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Okay, if we accept the paradigm that subforums should be topically-oriented and that it's okay to mix feedback (Dev-focused) and discussion (Community-focused) as long as the topics are specific enough, I have a more radical proposal to make.

A Topical Taxonomy

Information [Cryptic-to-Community]
. News
. Release Notes
. Dev Tracker

Discussion, Feedback, and Support [Community-to-Cryptic, Community-to-Community]
.. Role-Play
. Powers and Mechanics (Feedback and Discussion)
.. Space (PvE)
.. Space (PvP)
.. Ground (PvE)
.. Ground (PvP)
.. Captains and Bridge Officers
. PvE Gameplay
.. STF's
.. Fleet Actions, PvE Queues, and Events
.. Featured Episodes and Cross-Faction Content
.. Builds
. PvP Gameplay
.. Maps and Arenas
.. PvP Queues and Events
.. Builds
. Federation Discussion
.. Federation Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Federation Fleets
. Klingon Discussion
.. Klingon Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Klingon Fleets
. Romulan Discussion
.. Romulan Content (Missions & Episodes)
.. Romulan Fleets
. Shipyard (Feedback about Stats, Features, Equipment, and Art)
.. Federation Ships
.. Klingon Ships
.. Romulan Ships
.. Cross-Faction Ships
. Star Trek Online Art
. The Foundry
. Technical Support (Support Issues not covered by another topic)
.. PC and Connectivity Issues
.. Graphical Issues
.. Bugs

Test Servers [Cryptic-to-Community, Community-to-Cryptic]
. Tribble
. Redshirt

Feel free to tear it apart.

You'll notice a few things about this.

One, I got rid of the Academy. Guides and questions would belong in specific topic areas.

Two, liberal use of "child" sub-fora.

Three, "Powers and Mechanics" has been separated out into its own group; all of those technical balance questions, feedback, and debates would go in there.

Four, builds go in either PvE or PvP Gameplay since they tend to be specific to one or the other and because the scope of builds includes ships, skills, gear, and bridge officers.

Five, all Faction-specific gameplay and discussion is grouped per-Faction, with the exception of ships.

Six, the Shipyard is no longer about builds or gameplay mechanics (which get covered in other topics) but rather feedback about specific ships and ship equipment.
I'd like to shoot for less forums than we have now, as things are already too spread out Subforums will be limited to PvP Boot Camp and the Role Play subforums, for now.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Republic Veteran
# 104
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Community-Focused subforums are either Player-to-Player or Cryptic-to-Player communication. It should be clear that these are not intended to be monitored by the Devs for Gameplay feedback. Mods like me should be looking at these for feedback threads/individual posts and relocating them where they need to go.
I don't think this approach you've outlined is viable, it's far too clinical and results in an abundance of redundant subforums as well as making it more difficult for the players and devs alike.
Besides feedback from Players to Cryptic, is better for Cryptic and the players, if it is discussed first among the community and "screened" for insanity and drivel. Popular/well discussed ideas will gain more traction and end up being more likely to be viewed and considered by Cryptic, IMHO.

Quote:
The Academy was always intended to be for Player-to-Player communication, for example. This is where all of those guides, builds, and tips ought to be put. I concede that we might need to break out "child" forums for various subtypes of "helps". This is a very specific kind of Player-to-Player communication and general discussion topics don't belong here. Questions that only Cryptic can answer belong in feedback subforums.

If you pull out the Academy, where will all of that Player-to-Player stuff go? Cluttering up a feedback subforum.
Again entirely too clinical, I also think it's in error viewing it as clutter. There will be questions posed by players, that is unavoidable, but there will also be better feedback from the more concentrated discussions possible in a less wide spread forum. People will be able to focus on fewer but deeper topics.

Quote:
Now perhaps I'm wrong about this. Maybe it's okay to lump Cryptic-Focused and Community-focused threads together into related subjects. Well then, if that's the case we should get serious about reorganizing it like that. Lose the idea of "Feedback" and "Discussion" subforums and make it all topical. Maybe encourage people to tag their subject lines as [Feedback] and [Discussion], to help the Devs find what they're looking for.
While Prefixes are good for certain categories, I don't see the benefit in this clinical divide between Feedback and Discussions. It overcomplicates the forum needlessly.
Republic Veteran
# 105
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I'd like to shoot for less forums than we have now, as things are already too spread out Subforums will be limited to PvP Boot Camp and the Role Play subforums, for now.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Less is more. To use a popular phrase.
Career Officer
# 106
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
How will threads from forums that don't survive be handled? I assume they will just be integrated instead of deleted.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Community Moderator
# 107
04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
Besides feedback from Players to Cryptic, is better for Cryptic and the players, if it is discussed first among the community and "screened" for insanity and drivel. Popular/well discussed ideas will gain more traction and end up being more likely to be viewed and considered by Cryptic, IMHO.
I don't disagree with that. But how do you make the ounce of gold easier for the Devs to find when the dross is measured in metric tons?

If topics were consolidated into single-threaded conversations, I would agree that the more discussed ideas would float to the top. But duplicate threads abound.

There's also a certain level of tension between two not entirely aligned priorities.

Cryptic's priority is to mine the forums for feedback that can be used to improve the game.

The Community's priority is to voice their opinions, some of which are either mutually exclusive or compete for attention.

I'm trying to get to where the balance point is and what works best for both Cryptic and the Community. I can honestly say that I don't know.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Community Moderator
# 108
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
A Topical Taxonomy - Take Two

Information
. News
. Release Notes
. Dev Tracker

Discussion and Feedback
.. Role-Play
. Space Powers and Mechanics
. Ground Powers and Mechanics
. Captains and Bridge Officers
. Shipyard
. Missions, Events, and Episodes
. PvE Gameplay
. PvP Gameplay
.. PvP Boot Camp
. Federation Discussion
. Federation Fleets
. Klingon Discussion
. Klingon Fleets
. Romulan Discussion
. Romulan Fleets
. Star Trek Online Art
. The Foundry

Technical Support
. PC and Connectivity Issues
. Graphical Issues
. Bug Reports

Test Servers
. Tribble Discussion and Feedback
. Tribble Release Notes and Bug Reports
. Redshirt Discussion and Feedback
. Redshirt Release Notes and Bug Reports

Better?
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 109
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
How will threads from forums that don't survive be handled? I assume they will just be integrated instead of deleted.
I should be able to mass-move them to the forum that's best suited for them

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Republic Veteran
# 110
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
I'm trying to get to where the balance point is and what works best for both Cryptic and the Community. I can honestly say that I don't know.
It probably isn't there and one side has to give in to compromise (likely the community).
Closed Thread