Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
right now I have 134 skills is flow capacitor and 124 power in Aux on my B'rel sci build torp boat.

I was thinking of replacing photonic officer 2 with Tach beam or energy siphon?

worth it or not?

Thanks.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,409
# 2
04-10-2013, 07:47 PM
as a guy who has a specialized shield draining vesta i can tell you this.


NO.


it is not worth it.

enjoy your science
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,059
# 3
04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Don't listen to Mai... yes its worth it.

A few Things.

1) combo it with CPB.
2) some people will be more resistant then others... but this is true of every skill. Honestly you will be suprized how often people DONT have 9 points in insulators. Even if they do you still do good dmg with it... despite what some claim. Your not going to drop some sci ship wth 15k per facing down to zero... but don't expect to. Choose your targets wisely... only pick on those guys when your strips will relieve them of the last 10-20% they have.
3) If you have doff room.... look at the Tachyon doff. Its not popular. however it is effective it does kill turn... as a test I ran 3 one night and the effect was pretty funny.

Bottom line test it out for yourself.... it costs you nothing to test it out for awhile and make your own mind up.
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,965
# 4
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Don't listen to Mai... yes its worth it.
lol, what does mai know about shield stripper builds right
______________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
I just wanted to say, I've never seen a more disturbing avatar
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 638
# 5
04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
It's also very useful if you combo it with the doffs that reduce turn rate. While an escort can just race out of range, it's a very unpleasant surprise when they're trying to maneuver, or that Bortas is trying to line up a shot.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,059
# 6
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
lol, what does mai know about shield stripper builds right
Not much I guess.

What does he know about the B'rel ? 100% completely nothing... ask him what his klink toons name is.

Seriously he was going on about how shocked he was about how many people didn't have heavy insulator spend around 2 months ago....

I guess something changed since then ?
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 871
# 7
04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
I guess something changed since then ?
People stopped running shield stripper builds so people put less points into power insulators. If heavy shield stripper builds became popular again then you'd see more points being put into insulators until shield stripping became irrelevant.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,059
# 8
04-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
People stopped running shield stripper builds so people put less points into power insulators. If heavy shield stripper builds became popular again then you'd see more points being put into insulators until shield stripping became irrelevant.
You over estimate the value of PI.

Is it worth trading CPB and Tac beam out for real useful Sci Debuffs in a premade... no but frankly with exception of when it was completely op stripping was always bad team play. Yes stripping with no resists was op... its why teams like FS ran nothing but sci ships.

This op wasn't asking about premades though... or he wouldn't be in a brel.

As far as roaming kerrat or the pug FvKs that pop... Stripping even if your target has 9 points in works believe it or not. If you are packing enough punch on the torps... you don't need a full strip.

As long as you can get someone to around 10-20% shielding... you can punch through with double HYs.

Everyone like MAI that says stripping is dead... is completely coming at it from the Fed Premade angle imo. Seeing as Mai doesn't even have a klink toon (unless something changed there to)... I would say he really doesn't have any clue no.
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 871
# 9
04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
You over estimate the value of PI.
I don't think I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
This op wasn't asking about premades though... or he wouldn't be in a brel.
Shhh... don't let MT hear you say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
As far as roaming kerrat or the pug FvKs that pop... Stripping even if your target has 9 points in works believe it or not. If you are packing enough punch on the torps... you don't need a full strip.
All that I technically need to do against Kerrat players or random pugs is roll my face across the keyboard really fast. Why should I base anything off of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Everyone like MAI that says stripping is dead... is completely coming at it from the Fed Premade angle imo. Seeing as Mai doesn't even have a klink toon (unless something changed there to)... I would say he really doesn't have any clue no.
I would say the he does have a clue, that outside of cheese dependent teams there usually isn't that much difference between fed and klingon premades, and there are better ways to deliver an alpha strike in a BoP anyway.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,059
# 10
04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
All that I technically need to do against Kerrat players or random pugs is roll my face across the keyboard really fast. Why should I base anything off of them?
You should pop in once in awhile... your right most nights the level of skill isn't high. That's not always the case though. Lots of good battles there over the last 3 years... your missing out.
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 AM.