Captain
# 91
04-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Cmdrscarlet--I have to admit, it's hard for me to see how, as Kathryn's vendetta becomes clear, discontent and suspicion would NOT emerge. I know I would have no confidence in her as my CO, if I became aware of the events you have described. Especially the one where she (rather sadistically) had the ship ram that drone. The fact that the order was followed without protest, or the ship's CMO forcing her off duty for a psych eval is one I haven't gotten.
Damn. I was hoping not to read a post like this but I'm not surprised. Yet, I did ask for it didn't I

One man's sadism is another man's "hell yeah" (I'm not sayig I'm sadistic ). At the same time, I didn't write about the consequences after that moment intentionally because I could see it go several ways:
* the crew accepts their Captain as she is
* the crew is loyal to a flaw for reasons unexplained
* the crew IS questioning loyalty/sanity of the Captain but go along because of "duty"
* the crew suggested she go to counseling and is actively seeking it but it's a process
* the crew was gathered for their similar distaste for Orions (not supported)
* the crew sees a more judicial approach from Kathryn in all other things thus creating a whacky balance

I have not settled on the Truth and on a ship of 799 other crew there may be other possibilities. So a post from a BOff could be revealing and that was technically done in the "Haven" piece - yet that was more snapshots and added ambiguity due to the varied PoVs.

Hmm. Am I thinking too much? As I write a response I don't mean to read defensive. I need to develop Kathryn more in order to explain events in these LCs. So, I either need to make longer posts or have a separate thread.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 92
04-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Damn. I was hoping not to read a post like this but I'm not surprised. Yet, I did ask for it didn't I

One man's sadism is another man's "hell yeah" (I'm not sayig I'm sadistic ). At the same time, I didn't write about the consequences after that moment intentionally because I could see it go several ways:
* the crew accepts their Captain as she is
* the crew is loyal to a flaw for reasons unexplained
* the crew IS questioning loyalty/sanity of the Captain but go along because of "duty"
* the crew suggested she go to counseling and is actively seeking it but it's a process
* the crew was gathered for their similar distaste for Orions (not supported)
* the crew sees a more judicial approach from Kathryn in all other things thus creating a whacky balance

I have not settled on the Truth and on a ship of 799 other crew there may be other possibilities. So a post from a BOff could be revealing and that was technically done in the "Haven" piece - yet that was more snapshots and added ambiguity due to the varied PoVs.

Hmm. Am I thinking too much? As I write a response I don't mean to read defensive. I need to develop Kathryn more in order to explain events in these LCs. So, I either need to make longer posts or have a separate thread.
If you make a separate thread, I'd read it, but then, I have my own characters that are starting to nag at me (after a long dry spell it's almost pleasant having story ideas again) and now I'm wondering what the next challenge is going to be...and if I can hold off long enough before starting a story of my own on a separate thread.

I actually suspect, in the context of the war, that her sanity might be questioned, but the orders obeyed merely and simply based off wartime mentality combined with a strong sense of duty (among senior officers) and a "hells Yeah! We Rock" mentality among the lower ranks. Nothing succeeds like success, after all.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.

Last edited by patrickngo; 04-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Captain
# 93
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
It sounds like you have a lot of possibilities that could account for it--though I guess I think there would need to be something, given that she did violate Starfleet protocol without there being any clear and present danger (such as a drone attacking people). Some reason why she got off the hook for that--either a past event, or some sort of present/future repercussion. Many of those options above could work.

And I sure hope I didn't sound like I was accusing you of sadism. :-/ That was definitely not my intent to appear as if I thought badly of you.

I just meant that Kathryn chose a method of execution that was designed specifically for shock and revenge, like the 24th century equivalent of chaining someone to the back of one's car and dragging them down the interstate. Something that, if I were in that universe and saw it in a holonovel, I might well be saying, "Hell yeah!" depending on the context, but if I saw it "IRL," I'd be horrified. Not sure if that makes sense?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)

Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 94
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Right, since I haven't had much time to write at all during this week, and since I've been sufferig a bit of writer's block, I have a quick question: what would the readers among you prefer to see, a story from the Federation or KDF perspective?
Career Officer
# 95
04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
@ironphoenix113 - great adaptation of the battle of Starbase 24! The dialogue was sharply written, particularly between Bryan and General D'ald. You could have expanded the actual battle a little bit more but I liked the descriptions you gave of Bryan orchestrating the assault and the Athena in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
@ sander233 - could you aim for shorter entries? The pirate one was the perfect length.
Uhh...

*checks progress of entry for LC41, currently 19 pages in MS Word*

Maybe for LC42?

"Look at all the pretty lights!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 96
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I've gotten as far as the crew of the Bastard - pardon me, the Bastogne - preparing to board the station to rescue the hostages, and I seem to have run out of steam. I think I may need to introduce a character or two. I'll try to finish this up by deadline, but no promises...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Lt. Commander
# 97
04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I'd say that those sorts of things should only be taken as options--not obligations for the authors. We all have our own styles and a right to those styles.
Aren't all of our comments merely suggestions? But to be courteous I will keep my comments to myself for this round since you aren't interested. No worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Uhh...

*checks progress of entry for LC41, currently 19 pages in MS Word*

Maybe for LC42?
Note that I haven't said anything negative about your entries. Part of me is sad that I don't always get to finish them because they are so long...so take that as a sort of compliment. The weekend is coming so there is hope for me though.
Career Officer
# 98
04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
Note that I haven't said anything negative about your entries. Part of me is sad that I don't always get to finish them because they are so long...so take that as a sort of compliment. The weekend is coming so there is hope for me though.
No problemo.

I think I may have mentioned before I'm used to writing novels and just now getting into the short story format. My first novel was over 650 pages, though, so I am at least limiting myself a little.

"Look at all the pretty lights!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 99
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
@ sander - I'm interested in your work, may I have the name of your novel?

@ ambassadormolari - Flip a coin because I'll read whatever comes out of your imagination!

@ ironphoenix113 - Awesome entry! I'll add to the chorus that the top-level version of a fleet battle was different and interesting. As cumbersome as Star Trek space battles tend to be, even the big fights against the Borg and Dominion on the show had some much happening that it's all a blurr. Writing it as you did gave the same impression: you know what's happening, but the details are lost or unnecessary *because* of the bigger picture.

@ superhombre777 - Man, you must hate Section 31 Actually, even the few missions I have played have really had me look at Drake as more than just a protagonist in a game. I snarl at his portrait because he represents the "necessary evil" in Starfleet - which I admit shouldn't exist in my mind Anyways, well done and thank you for the timeline - that is very influential to me with my current project.

Speaking of which ...

@ gulberat - No way did I think you think I'm sadistic. The Lone Drone piece was designed to show Kathryn's cruelty. I thought it was a "hell yeah" moment but in hindsight I think I would be mortified as well ... THEN I think about my own loathing for anything "Borg" in Star Trek. Borg + Kathryn's vendetta against an Orion gang = extreme action. Still, you and patrickngo had me thinking hard about my situation.

I'm planning to write an origins story in an attempt to explain Kathryn. I think sprinkling in flashbacks during the LCs may cause some confusion, may not get the point of her personna right, and will ultimately drag out her motivations along the way. IOver five LCs I've given the readers how Kathryn is "now", but very little about "what happened" to explain current events. Kathryn is not meant to be cruel - she is to be a strong leader, warrior and capable Captain in Starfleet but who is flawed. Yet, the flaw should not be crippling to negate everything else she is.

Naturally, this process will take some time to develop and reveal as I want to "get it right". Maybe I'm thinking too hard on the subject, but "Kathryn" has been with me since 2005 and I've not finished her tale as a hero/vigilante in City of Heroes - I'm basically starting over in STO.

Thank you all for your feedback over the LCs, it is really appreciated ^_^
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 100
04-11-2013, 10:10 AM
@cmdrscarlet: I never saw Kathryn as cruel - because judging by what was revealed in the "Lone Drone" story, she was at one point captured by Orion slavers, possibly even enslaved herself. She's not cruel, I don't think - she's angry. And possibly suffering from undiagnosed PTSD, because not every counselor is telepathic or empathic (Lt. Brel, on the Bastogne, is Bajoran).

I can empathize with her point of view, assuming my read is correct - and I look forward to her origin story, to see if I'm right. Basically, I've seen her as a grown-up and "fixed" version of the girl in the Mass Effect storyline "I Remember Me" (available to a Shepard who was a colonist).

@shevet: Really good story. I won't say why, because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet. GO and do so, y'all.

Favorite line: I check my settings. I did have it on stun. Pity.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts

Last edited by jonsills; 04-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.