Captain
# 41
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
and anyway... what about Foundry missions? Can foundry authors decide if a text popup decloaks the player? Is that tech in there at all? Or will jheinig go through those as he has time too !??!

I appreciate it that he goes in there and fixes stuff, at what it sounds like on his own time / out of his own motivation. But that will never fix everything.
Quoted for truth.

We need that stuff in the Foundry ASAP!

Then again, I can see how it would fail to fix a VERY small percentage of boff dialogues. But it's better than nothing!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 42
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoav160 View Post
It's only been two years now. I am not sure if they know how to even fix it for as long as this has gone on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
"is not "broken" inasmuch as it is working the way it was designed to do"

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EigIujKxDcE

not to be nitpicky about words... but you can say that about EVERYTHING.
every bug in a game was coded and therefore "designed" by someone.
of course code is working as designed...

i mean hooray for jheinig that he does SOMETHING about it at all...

but still BOOOO @ dStahl for shrugging it off as "working as intended" and not putting bug fixing time for it on the schedule... even with ROMULANS now on there ?!

*sigh*

i get it, it is easy but annoying and time consuming work and "nobody got time for dat", but damn it, just get some intern to do it already.

and anyway... what about Foundry missions? Can foundry authors decide if a text popup decloaks the player? Is that tech in there at all? Or will jheinig go through those as he has time too !??!

I appreciate it that he goes in there and fixes stuff, at what it sounds like on his own time / out of his own motivation. But that will never fix everything.
I kind of got my hopes up that it was fixed, especially since the Romulan ships will have cloaks.
No excuse for my outburst, but it was frustration at how long this bug has been going on.

It is still a bug, no matter how many devs say it is now working as intended.

Glad it is at least being looked at by a dev, sad though that it does not seem a priority (despite the new faction) and is being done in a devs own time

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Republic Veteran
# 43
04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
They should honestly give themselves and foundry authors the ability to tag which dialog decloaks you and what doesn't... This would give more control and direction for their missions.. But it also would take going back retroactively fixing all the other missions in the game..
Lieutenant
# 44
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
I kind of got my hopes up that it was fixed, especially since the Romulan ships will have cloaks.
No excuse for my outburst, but it was frustration at how long this bug has been going on.

It is still a bug, no matter how many devs say it is now working as intended.

Glad it is at least being looked at by a dev, sad though that it does not seem a priority (despite the new faction) and is being done in a devs own time
Eeeeh, I agree with your gneral premise that this feature is stupid, but it's -not- a bug. It does exactly what it was intended to do. It was a conscious design decision. "I'm gonna call it a bug because I don't like it" just makes you look petulant.

The fact is, the devs in the early days didn't want to design missions so that Klingons could ambush everything in the game, so they put in a feature where pretty much anything and everything kills the cloak. It's dumb, limiting design, but it isn't a bug, and consequently was designed to work very robustly. Bugs are easier to fix than bad features, because A) A bug isn't -supposed- to happen, which means you don't generally have code that both reinforces and depends on that bug continuing to operate, B) Bugs are inherently undesirable for the devs, so it's easy to get time and money allocated to fixing them, whereas altering features is a heavier decision, and C) Nobody's ego rides on a bug sticking around. Somebody made a -decision- to have boff dialogue kill cloaks. Maybe that person is still with the dev team, maybe they're not, I don't know, but odds are at least -somebody- that worked on that feature or defended that feature in the past is still around, and taking the feature out means circumventing that person's personal pride in their past decisions. In other words, altering a feature, even a bad one, usually means bruising the ego of a co-worker. Given the wealth of other possible priorities, it wouldn't surprise me if even devs that agree with us are more inclined to work on other things.
Captain
# 45
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Cloaking is a PvP mechanic anyway, really. Which isn't to say the "Dialogue uncloacks things" issue has never bothered me (it IS silly and annoying), but it's really... completely unimportant beyond roleplaying uses in PvE.

I understand why it annoys people, but I also get why it's really not high on the priority list. Being decloaked by dialogue is annoying... but I've never failed a mission due to it. Ever.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 04-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Captain
# 46
04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Whether the cloaking issue is a bug or a feature doesn't matter. What matters is that it's very unpopular among players, and ideally should be changed at the earliest opportunity.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q