Career Officer
# 11
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I thought Sela and the Tal Shiar weren't getting along, at least that's what I remember from the Romulan Front story line. So I guess that's getting retconned when they shuffle missions around for the May update then?
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulisvel View Post
I thought Sela and the Tal Shiar weren't getting along, at least that's what I remember from the Romulan Front story line. So I guess that's getting retconned when they shuffle missions around for the May update then?
In the Romulan Front, Taris still had control of the Tal Shiar, was allied with the Iconians, and opposed Sela.

But you take Taris out of the picture entirely and she ends up in Facility 4028*. By Cutting the Cord, Sela is clearly if not in control of the Tal Shiar then on good terms with them, as she came to their rescue after you kill Hakeev, and their Iconian buddies in turn came to hers.

Basically, she's consolidated.

*-in the 2800 she was one of the two notable prisoners sprung from there using Iconian technology, suggesting that she's still valuable to the Iconians even with Sela to take her place. I suspect that after Facility 4028 the two are allies, if not willingly then because the Iconians said to play nice.

Last edited by hevach; 04-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Captain
# 13
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
I believe they have already changed/updated the Romulan Front missions. Not sure if there was any story changes though. They are the next missions I am doing on Tribble, soon as I level up my fed toon some more, So I will definitely be looking into this.

But yes, my understanding was Sela and the Tal Shiar were not on the best of terms. Plus, why would Sela overthrow Taris if they are in fact all serving the same Masters (ie The Iconians). Would be interesting to see how this all stacks up when ever they unlock the Roms on Tribble.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
04-11-2013, 12:43 PM
The Romulan story for Romulans comes before the Romulan story we have now
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
So this blog got me thinking...

Old School Romulans are notoriously xenophobic...
The Tal Shiar is often likened to the SS/Gestapo of Nazi Germany...
Sela became the empress, backing the Tal Shiar...
...even though Sela is half human.

Sela = Space Elf Hitler?

Raptr profile
Republic Veteran
# 16
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Just some Sela Propoganda! I'd love to see ship stats!

[6/24 23:12] [Combat (Self)] Your Thalaron Pulse deals 126254 (48978) Radiation Damage to Tactical Cube. Hehe. Suck it Borg!
[10/8 15:47] [Combat (Self)] Crystalline Entity deals 98082 (147136) Kinetic Damage to you with Warp Core Breach. WUT? I blame Kurland for this and all other problems in STO.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
But yes, my understanding was Sela and the Tal Shiar were not on the best of terms. Plus, why would Sela overthrow Taris if they are in fact all serving the same Masters (ie The Iconians). Would be interesting to see how this all stacks up when ever they unlock the Roms on Tribble.
In the original missions, Taris was allied with the Iconians but Sela was not. Taris is captured by the Federation in those missions. The next we hear on Sela is in Cutting the Cord, where she comes to the aid for the Tal Shiar, and then the Iconians come to her rescue.

Only thing that changed is that Taris was gone. The Tal Shiar had lost, and Sela consolidated her control.

Right now, it fits. However, LoR is giving us a pre-Cloaked Intentions Romulan front from both the Klingon and Romulan perspectives, so we'll see if some retcon is needed to make it all fit.

Last edited by hevach; 04-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Captain
# 18
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
I thought Sela and the Tal Shiar weren't getting along, at least that's what I remember from the Romulan Front story line.
That's just what she wanted you to think.

For anyone who wants to learn more of STO's backstory, I direct you to this article.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Rihannsu
# 19
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
wow that is a complete disappointment I stopped reading 3 lines in. What a waste of a dev blog to bring stuff EVERYONE knows and has already been said. nice fluff piece to fill up space..
Captain
# 20
04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrenos View Post
The rest of the backstory is copy-and-paste from either TNG, or the Path to 2409. Where's the Legacy of Romulus NEWS?
Noting that they are actually sticking to the Path to 2409 could be considered news. However, we've had more in this snippet than the Path to 2409, which basically says: "Sela became Praetor and peace was had throughout the land!" And then: "Sela is now Empress, and probably a total dictator." Now we know that she has indeed allied with the Tal Shiar, and even the Iconians, although I suspect Hakeev mislead her as to their true nature. I just don't see her allying with a force like that.

Which brings me to my next question: why did she bring the Tal Shiar to power? She had her own group of allies - the fleet that followed her into exile and the Hirogen. Why give the Tal Shiar power? Was it to make sure they were on her side? Was it to use their known draconian policies to contribute to her "oppression"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
That's just what she wanted you to think.

For anyone who wants to learn more of STO's backstory, I direct you to this article.
Do the accolades have the supplemental logs that were posted on the website before? This doc does: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...CW9cmvqCn2aIQk