Republic Veteran
# 111
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
in regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.
The content team wants Space and Ground, and the Systems Team wants Fed/klin/rom separate sections.

What constitutes "Federation Gameplay" that the Systems team wants separate from "Klingon Gameplay" and "Romulan Gameplay"? Is it story missions? Uniforms? Ships? player races?
Republic Veteran
# 112
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Latest iteration of suggestions.

Information Network

.Dev Tracker
.News
.Update Notes

Feedback & Discussions

.C-Store and Promotions
.PvE Core Gameplay (Classes, BOFFs, traits, powers, mechanics etc.)
.Shipyard (Ships, consoles, ship weapons ect)
.PvE Non-Story Missions (STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar, events, ect.)
.PvE Story Missions (Players could label their threads with prefixes of [ROM][FED][KDF] designating the faction it is related to)
.Duty Officer System
.Starbase System
.Reputation System
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Controls and User Interface
.Art, Graphics and Sound

Off Duty

.Ten Forward (Offtopic)
..Role Play Central (Roleplay)

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
.Qo'noS
.New Romulus

The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Feedback & Bug Reports
.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database

Support

.Gameplay issues
.Graphical Issues
.Technical Issues

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
.Tribble - Feedback & Bug Reports
.Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
.Redshirt - Feedback & Bug Reports

Threads posted in the 'Feedback and Bug Reports' forums must be designated by either Prefix [Bug] or [Feedback].
Career Officer
# 113
04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Dunno about how to organize the forums, but a small suggesstion I have had in mind for some time now is the constant complains in some threads by people telling "The devs don't see this, the devs don't know this etc etc".

You should add a function that everytime a dev have visited a thread, the thread should have a marking on it (or something) That way everybody know that you have seen the thread and recieved the information even if a reply is not necessary.

Just my 2 cents
Community Moderator
# 114
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apulse View Post
Dunno about how to organize the forums, but a small suggesstion I have had in mind for some time now is the constant complains in some threads by people telling "The devs don't see this, the devs don't know this etc etc".

You should add a function that everytime a dev have visited a thread, the thread should have a marking on it (or something) That way everybody know that you have seen the thread and recieved the information even if a reply is not necessary.

Just my 2 cents
I would assume this is coming back as the NW forums have this as well and it's pretty much the same update (obviously different coloring)

EDIT: Actually Brandon actually said they are for sure coming hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branflakes
You may have noticed that Neverwinter has recently upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin (our forum software) -- STO will be making the upgrade in the future. We know that your forum persona is important to you, so we want to make sure you know everything that you should do before the change, as well as what some of the new features are:
  • You will need to re-upload your signature and avatar. VB4 uses a separate database, so you'll need to add these back in once the upgrade is complete.
  • You will want to save your private messages as they may be lost in the upgrade.
  • You will want to bookmark any threads you are subscribed to as subscriptions may be lost in the upgrade.
  • You will be able to report posts for breaking the community rules. This system worked well in the past, and with VB4, this feature will return.
  • Threads that contain Dev Posts will be marked.
  • Other improvements to the forum system, including some that are listed as outstanding in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=276161
EDIT 2: Unless you mean actually visited a thread, that tends to be an issue because the dev's do read almost every thread (I know Brandon does for sure hehe), and it'd clutter things up. Plus then people would take that as they can post there and a dev would notice which is highly inacurrate.

Now I'm going back to what i was doing that doesn't require my brain lol.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

Last edited by askray; 04-12-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Career Officer
# 115
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Is it really necessary for "Star Trek Online Discussion" and "General Community Feedback" to be separate? Because they appear to host essentially the same types of threads.
Republic Veteran
# 116
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
In regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.
If we look at the two Federation and Klingon Gameplay forums objectively, they are pretty much unambiguous in their content. It's topics which would be covered by either "The Shipyard", "The Captain + BOFF" section or PvE missions either story or non story.

Does it really make sense for the Content and system teams, to have separate Faction Gameplay forums when the topics are better categorized under specific content types, such as ships, or such as the classes/captain?

Does it really make sense to have the arbitrary "Ground" vs "Space"?
Community Moderator
# 117
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I like most of aexrael's suggestions outside of the Feedback and Discussion heading, and I'm even on-board with some of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post

Feedback & Discussions

.C-Store and Promotions
.PvE Core Gameplay (Classes, BOFFs, traits, powers, mechanics etc.)
.Shipyard (Ships, consoles, ship weapons ect)
.PvE Non-Story Missions (STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar, events, ect.)
.PvE Story Missions (Players could label their threads with prefixes of [ROM][FED][KDF] designating the faction it is related to)
.Duty Officer System
.Starbase System
.Reputation System
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Art, Graphics and Sound
I would not put C-Store and Promotions at the top of the list. Doesn't necessarily have to be at the bottom, but it shouldn't be all the way at the top.

I'm on board with "Core Gameplay" if we drop the PvE off the front. Core Gameplay should be about common systems.

I don't think a division between story and non-story missions will really help the Dev team, nor provide much benefit for the Community.

You've dropped the faction-specific forums entirely and per BranFlakes the Dev team wants to see them. I do, too, although I do see your point that they may not be entirely necessary.

You've also dropped the Space/Ground divisions. Based on the fact that Space and Ground mechanics, look and feel, combat, and missions are very different, I see why the Devs would want those called out. Might make sense to have a "Core Space Gameplay" and a "Core Ground Gameplay".

Based on how they work, the Fleet Advancement and the Reputation systems both work alike and the same Devs are responsible for them. I see no point in separating Starbases and Reputation into different areas, but I'm open to any insight that I might be overlooking.

Finally, you've completely dropped any kind of "catchall" feedback forum. I think we need that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 04-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 118
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I like most of aexrael's suggestions outside of the Feedback and Discussion heading, and I'm even on-board with some of those.

I would not put C-Store and Promotions at the top of the list. Doesn't necessarily have to be at the bottom, but it shouldn't be all the way at the top.

I'm on board with "Core Gameplay" if we drop the PvE off the front. Core Gameplay should be about common systems.

I don't think a division between story and non-story missions will really help the Dev team, nor provide much benefit for the Community.

You've dropped the faction-specific forums entirely and per BranFlakes the Dev team wants to see them. I do, too, although I do see your point that they may not be entirely necessary.

You've also dropped the Space/Ground divisions. Based on the fact that Space and Ground mechanics, look and feel, combat, and missions are very different, I see why the Devs would want those called out. Might make sense to have a "Core Space Gameplay" and a "Core Ground Gameplay".

Based on how they work, the Fleet Advancement and the Reputation systems both work alike and the same Devs are responsible for them. I see no point in separating Starbases and Reputation into different areas, but I'm open to any insight that I might be overlooking.

Finally, you've completely dropped any kind of "catchall" feedback forum. I think we need that.
You're right that the c-store section doesn't really feel appropriate at the top, it was really only listed there due to starting with C, but alpha sorting felt inappropriate.

About the space/ground division, it in part makes the Shipyard redundant then. It may be better to forego the shipyard section and brand the two sections Core Gameplay Ground and Space respectively as suggested.

Regarding separation of starbases, doffs and reputation, that was due to the Systems team requesting it be setup that way, tough given the low traffic, it probably doesn't make sense to separate them, since it should be easy enough to pickup the relevant threads for anyone browsing the forum.

Either way it presents two alternatives.

A) Feedback & Discussions

.Core Gameplay Ground (Classes, ground BOFFs, traits, powers, ground items etc.)
.Core Gameplay Space (Ships, ship items, traits, space BOFFs, powers ect.)
.Core Gameplay Other (Duty Officers, Starbases, Reputations)
.Missions (Journal Story Missions, STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar events, ect.)
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Zen-Store and Promotions
.Art, Graphics and Sound

B) Feedback & Discussions

.Core Gameplay Ground (Classes, ground BOFFs, traits, powers, ground items etc.)
.Core Gameplay Space (Ships, ship items, traits, space BOFFs, powers ect)
.Missions (STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar events, ect.)
.Federation Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.Klingon Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.Rumulan Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Art, Graphics and Sound
Community Moderator
# 119
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
B) Feedback & Discussions

.Core Gameplay Space (Ships, ship items, traits, space BOFFs, powers ect)
.Missions (STFs, Fleet Actions, calendar events, ect.)
.Federation Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.Klingon Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.Romulan Gameplay (Journal story missions, ...?)
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.Art, Graphics and Sound
I could get behind something like this.

They could even rename the "Core Gameplay" to something more Trekkish.

Core Gameplay Ground -> Away Team
Core Gameplay Space -> The Final Frontier
Core Gameplay Other -> Lower Decks
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Republic Veteran
# 120
04-21-2013, 04:50 AM
I was thinking, regardless of what Branflakes/Cryptic decides on, the best course of action for any new sections is probably to hide the existing ones from regular members and establish the new sections.
Then move the first 1-2 pages worth of threads from the old sections to their new respective sections.
That way you keep the new sections free from irrelevant/offtopic posts and lay the foundation for a cleaner forum and easier search options.

Over time more threads can be moved to their respective section as Bran/mods have some downtime.
Closed Thread