Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lieutenant
# 101
04-12-2013, 02:22 AM
I do agree with the battles althrough some PVE mostly starbase 24 has really nice long intensive battles, of which you need to think about were you are going to avoid getting surrounded, from every direction.

That is very good fun, nuts the the STF one shot borg torp kills, of which you never see coming till you blow up....

As for esp missions sometimes I m glad about this as some can take up to 30 -45 minutes a pop.
Ensign
# 102
04-12-2013, 06:32 AM
I agree with the original poster.

The development team should do something to make the ship battles more epic. For example my Constitution Class Cruiser the Florida was able to single highhandedly take out 7 birds of prey.

In the tv show 7 birds of prey for a Constitution Cruiser would had been a formidable challenge, while in the game its easy.

I would also add the ability to get attacked in sector space travel, and the ability to declare a red alert without being attacked.

Other then this the game is very good and has been designed very well.
Career Officer
# 103
04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbafloyd View Post
I agree with the original poster.

I would also add the ability to get attacked in sector space travel, and the ability to declare a red alert without being attacked.

Other then this the game is very good and has been designed very well.

Oh, the good old days, where the roaming enemy fleets pulled you in to combat.
Lt. Commander
# 104
04-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecangetlost View Post
Oh, the good old days, where the roaming enemy fleets pulled you in to combat.
Yea. I remember those. I believe those were wildly unpopular and thus got removed (made it optional engagement)
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Captain
# 105
04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I loved the fact that enemies would roam around and engage you while you were traveling between planets/zones. I wish it were an optional on/off tab in the game. That way I wouldn't need to read twitter while my ship auto-flies to my next Mission.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 106
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
personally I like the battles as they are now, the only thing I would change are the torpedoes: their impact is ... unreal ... they should be more explosive!
Commander
# 107
04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I am in agreement with this post because being a Star Trek fan since the original show was a new show, yes I am that old, I am constantly thinking in STO that pretty much every single mission I have violated the Prime Directive. If I was a Starship captain in STO for real I would be in a Federation prison by now, either that or I would have settled on some Roman Planet and become first citizen like Captain Merrik did in the original Episode "Bread and Circuses"
Lt. Commander
# 108
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Fly in a cruiser, you'll feel plenty 'Star-Trek' like.
Lieutenant
# 109
04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I kind of agree, space battles just don't feel massive enough, the ships we are flying are huge with firepower that could lay waste to a planet. Sound effects are a big part of the problem, weapons fire and explosions should have a deep rumble, more kaboom and less pew pew if you understand what I mean.
As for zooming to the bridge this has been discussed ad-nauseum and for the most part seems outside of the game engines abilities. It's never a good idea to compare this game with a different Star Trek product and think that features of one could work with another.
As for 360 degree motion, while I agree, it's space, so there is no limitation on degrees of freedom, but it should be remembered that you rarely see in the movies or tv series scenes where a ship is flying inverted or at right angles. All of the motion scenes always give a sense of up and down, banking instead of rolling, ascending instead of flying straight up, more like the limited maneuverability of large aircraft or submersibles as opposed to the aerobatics of a fighter jet, rolling into a dive on a target is something you normally don't see the big ships doing.
Sounds??? You're in space. There is no air so sound from an enemy ship could not travel at all.
Lieutenant
# 110
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree with many peoples posts.
First of all the game is not very trekey to begin with. While trek focuses on building characters and on diplomacy this is more of a 'shoot um up' game
That said, I am in favor of expanding combat to 3d. if its supposed to take place in space then why shouldn't your ship be able to fly vertically?
The ground graphics of sto are quite good in my opinion but the graphics in space leave something to be desired. If I knock a ships shields out and fire my phasers I expect it should leave jagged path of scorched armor or even cut into the enemy ship a bit. If my torpedo hits a ship on a pylon while their shields down I expect the pylon to take massive damage or even break off. If an attack busts through any enemy's shields and armor I want the outside of the ship singed of and to be able to see the deck 'skeleton' of the ship. Also, if you take damage, you ship should show that exterior damage until you respawn. No phaser marks just fading away like someone is out on your hull with a bucket of paint.
Someone mentioned being able to pilot the ship from the bridge. I agree that that would be a good option to have but that would raise the question of how to display enemy ships. in relation to you on the view screen. My solution would be to have the normal 'behind ship' view displayed on the bridge's view screen. You would view the battle normally but with the added realisticness. of a bridge's surroundings.
There have also been a few posts advocating to more randomness in the game with enemies you might not anticipate popping up as you fly through space. I agree though it is helpful and nice to know what is coming random enemies seems more of a challenge and more realistic.
I do agree with having regenerative shields but hull damage should, in my opinion be almost impossible to heal. what are the engineering teams you send out going to do? Replace 10% of your damaged 30ft square hull plates in a matter of seconds?
Also please do away with sector space. the transition from warp to impulse in my opinion should be seamless.
That's all I have, sack