Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,332
So for a while now I've been pondering the nature of the story in the tutorial for Federation characters. I expect at some point Cryptic will want to go back and remaster the tutorial to take advantage of new tech and assets that have been developed since the creation of the game. There are a number of aspects I personally would like to see improve, but recently something occurred to me that I think could really improve one of the major weakness in the plot of the tutorial.

I'm referring to the circumstances of your promotion to command.

A quick refresher: Currently you (the player) start out as a mid-level ensign assigned to beam over to assist the U.S.S. Khitomer (as a one man away team) which is under attack by the Borg. You do enough to turn the tide and are called back to your ship. When you get back, you find that the entire command structure has been decimated and despite being an ensign, you are now in command. (This last part is explained in a single dialog box.)

I've always found this to be a little hard to swallow. (The Borg show up, kill every officer and then promptly leave while you're away.) Up until now, we've accepted this as an unavoidable plot hole.

But I've thought of a better way. This is my proposal: Flip it around, You start out on the Khitomer and then are sent to rescue the ship that will eventually become your first command.

Quote:
You start out as a mid level ensign on the U.S.S. Khitomer. The ship responds to a distress call from the Vega Colony which has been attacked by the Borg. The Khitomer arrives to find the outer system littered with the remains of the fleet. One of the ships, the U.S.S. [Player Ship] is sending out an automated distress call. A sensor scan shows sporadic lifesigns and plenty of Borg.

You are assigned to an away team to beam over along with a couple of other officers. Upon beam down, you are attacked by a Borg attempting to assimilate the transporter room. Your away team is injured but you manage to take the Borg down. You are unable to contact the Khitomer due to Borg interferance. Luckily the sickbay is close by and you make your way there and activate the EMH. You then proceed to use the transporter to tag and transport the injured away team to the sickbay. Your away team out of danger, you proceed through the ship rescuing and picking up surviving crew members. These will become your new crew. You ultimately end up at the bridge trying to retake the ship and my fight the assimilated former captain. With the ship back now your control, you reestablish contact with the Khitomer which leaves to take on the main Borg fleet, while you and your new command continue the tutorial mostly as it did before.

At the end Admiral Quinn is so impressed with your retaking of the [Player Ship] that he gives you command.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 04-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
# 2
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Thats not bad if we are keeping our existing tutorial. But wasn't it said before that they would like to revamp it entirely, even moving that whole Vega Colony Borg story somewhere else?

I'd personally rather have the type of start I thought I'd have when rolling a new Starfleet character. Academy. I'm an Academy student nearing graduation, learning the ropes on Earth; how to move, how to interact with the UI mission system etc. Holodeck combat/diplomatic scenarios & short ingame videos briefing beforehand and on skills etc (akin to the Champions Online powerhouse vids). My first BOFF is my best pal. My first space mission is in a shuttle or runabout. Retune the Azura mission for shuttle combat (I've managed it on Elite in a shuttle but it takes a while ^^).

However, without another 10 or so episodes about how I get a hold of a Miranda it certainly falls flat.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,332
# 3
04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
The only tutorial revamp I've heard about is some tweaks Captain Geko mentioned to the instructions to clear up some problems new players were having. I'm not expecting they jump on this right now, I just wanted to get my suggestion in before they DO decide to revamp the Fed tutorial.

The one thing I do like about the current tutorial (and even Champion's tutorial) is that it's high energy. I see the tutorial as the pitch for the game. If you can't get the player emotionally invested in the game by the end of it, they're not all that likely to stick around. There are a number of other MMOs (I'm looking at you SWTOR) that have tutorials that drag. I really hope they came convey the same energy in the new KDF and RR tutorials.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 04-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,217
# 4
04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I like it.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
# 5
04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
All of these plot seem better then before yet having a chouse of how it works out would be nice.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 6
04-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Honestly, I like it better that you start out in the ship that you eventually get to command rather then on another ship.

Yes, the borg suddenly up an leaving is kind of odd, but frankly it makes more sense that you are accidentally thrown into command, then thrown in automatically.

This is one of the reasons I never skip the tutorial no matter how many new characters I create. The tutorial never says how long you have been an ensign, so the mid-level is more the players guess, then hard fact. but it makes more sense then skipping the Tutorial, where you are definitely a new ensign, fresh off the academy graduation and just given command.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,332
# 7
04-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Honestly, I like it better that you start out in the ship that you eventually get to command rather then on another ship.

Yes, the borg suddenly up an leaving is kind of odd, but frankly it makes more sense that you are accidentally thrown into command, then thrown in automatically.

This is one of the reasons I never skip the tutorial no matter how many new characters I create. The tutorial never says how long you have been an ensign, so the mid-level is more the players guess, then hard fact. but it makes more sense then skipping the Tutorial, where you are definitely a new ensign, fresh off the academy graduation and just given command.
This would mean that you earn command vs. ending up with command as a matter of convenience. As to mid level, I only meant that you're important enough to be sent on an away team, but not important enough to be a member of the senior staff. I had thought that it might be cool if the Khitomer was actually a random ship name, but not important.

@greendragoon
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 8
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
This would mean that you earn command vs. ending up with command as a matter of convenience. As to mid level, I only meant that you're important enough to be sent on an away team, but not important enough to be a member of the senior staff. I had thought that it might be cool if the Khitomer was actually a random ship name, but not important.
The problem is it makes more sense the way it is currently.

In the current Tutorial. You are in command because you are the most senior officer assigned to the ship. The Khitomer really doesn't have jurisdiction to take it away from you.

In the suggested Tutorial, Why would you leave an ensign in charge. Even if there is no one else on the ship, why have an ensign command a ship when there are more qualified and senior officers on the Khitomer. Plus I am not sure that the Khitomer has jurisdiction to just assign someone to another ship.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,217
# 9
04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
The problem is it makes more sense the way it is currently.

In the current Tutorial. You are in command because you are the most senior officer assigned to the ship. The Khitomer really doesn't have jurisdiction to take it away from you.

In the suggested Tutorial, Why would you leave an ensign in charge. Even if there is no one else on the ship, why have an ensign command a ship when there are more qualified and senior officers on the Khitomer. Plus I am not sure that the Khitomer has jurisdiction to just assign someone to another ship.
Maybe the Khitomer gets destroyed while you're saving the [ShipName], so you're the only one left?
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,332
# 10
04-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Maybe the Khitomer gets destroyed while you're saving the [ShipName], so you're the only one left?
I like this. Maybe a Borg cube shows up while you're retaking the player ship and the Khitomer covers your escape. Something that prevents the Khitomer from coming to your aid.

Of course if you wanted to make it really dark, you could fight and destroy an assimilated version of the Khitomer at the end.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 04-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 AM.