Rihannsu
# 1961
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deokkent View Post
So we're doing the new event CE, it's all nice and good; spamming the spacebar until the entity starts absorbing energy. And what do people do? Keep shooting at it close range.

People have no situational awareness.
well, properly built cruisers and science vessels can survive the shockwave the entity releases, and they need to keep shooting it if they want any chance at 1st, because, you know, DPS is king and all that other rot...

i'd be facepawing more over people completely ignoring large fragments, because those things HURT, and to add injury to injury, the explosion goes right through shields
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Commander
# 1962
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
...if they want any chance at 1st...
The amazing thing is some of the...brain trusts...in the game will get themselves blown up every time the shockwave goes off and still somehow manage to score 1st place, despite respawn timers. Meanwhile, those of us who keep the add count down, avoid the shockwave, and control shards get the screws. It's so thoroughly irritating that after getting my second shard today, I considered not even doing the event at all in protest. Getting hit or killed by that shockwave should automatically disqualify you from placement in CE, period. Or, at least, count shard/tholian/MU summon kills. Ugh.

As far as my worst STF experience...well, after today I have a new one. I just bought and kitted out an MU star cruiser, and decided to run CSN to acclimate myself to cruiser play and test my build out in a decent environment. Four players guarding the Kang, the optional failed not because the timer ran out but rather the Kang got taken out (mind you, at the point the Kang got taken out I had taken down two cubes on my own), and I end up chewed out because I apparently let assimilated ships past me.

I don't think my cruiser play and gear setup was too bad four a first outing all things considered. I ended up soloing all three cubes, only got blown up once because I was mouse-looking around trying to figure out where the hell the other four players were rather than minding my self-heals.

Last edited by theodrim; 04-12-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Captain
# 1963
04-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Recently on Khitomer in Stasis (Elite) had a failure because 3 people did not know how to properly play the mission. 2 of those had EV suits and died so many times and 1 of them was a Sci with a medic kit. 1 person left because of the frustration of bad players. I had to go in the room to lower the shield because the 3 remaining did not know what to do their. I would lower the shield but the 3 remaining had trouble destroying the generators because of pathetic damage. I had to tell the tactical players that 1 of them needs to use Strike Team to boost the teams attack and even with that they still had trouble and 1 of them left.

People need to stop entering elite missions with crappy gear and not knowing what to do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 1964
04-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbailey View Post
well it seems some days publicelitestf is full of idiots that have not done elite stfs before and its very fustrating, it feels like ur pugging it lol
Exactly. Thank goodness I've done enough T5 projects to get my ships good space sets/weapons and tweaked my build to fit what I was planning on doing so I all I have to do now is focus on fleet stuff.
Career Officer
# 1965
04-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
The amazing thing is some of the...brain trusts...in the game will get themselves blown up every time the shockwave goes off and still somehow manage to score 1st place, despite respawn timers. Meanwhile, those of us who keep the add count down, avoid the shockwave, and control shards get the screws. It's so thoroughly irritating that after getting my second shard today, I considered not even doing the event at all in protest. Getting hit or killed by that shockwave should automatically disqualify you from placement in CE, period. Or, at least, count shard/tholian/MU summon kills. Ugh.
Just a quick tip on this for anyone annoyed at people ignoring the shockwave. If you pack heals on your ship, use them on the people that get smashed up. They tweaked the scoring to now include healing done as a factor. I was able to get first place by running my sci heal/CC boat. I pack HE3 (heals over 30K total with 125 aux) and Aux2Structural (can be fired off every 15 seconds). I flew around and just healed everyone and ended up beating them all out over whatever dps they tried to do by sitting still and taking the shockwave in their face. So when I'm flying my sci ship, I love seeing those people now haha.

Edit: Picture proof of sci heal boat first place trophy.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 04-12-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Captain
# 1966
04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
EVA suit in ground stf elite, now that's a good one (as in perfect fit for this thread).
I'm sorry you had to live through that, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang View Post
i'd be facepawing more over people completely ignoring large fragments, because those things HURT, and to add injury to injury, the explosion goes right through shields
It's a good thing that the mission is a whole lot easier and can be pugged without too much worry. At this point you don't even have to worry about those fragments, as long as you have fire at will, torpedo spread or scatter volley.
I want an official persistent officer title.
**~Reality under scrutiny~**
@haudace
UFP Fleet: Operation Omega Task Force | KDF Fleet: KHG Klingon Honor Guard

Last edited by deokkent; 04-12-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Commander
# 1967
04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Just a quick tip on this for anyone annoyed at people ignoring the shockwave. If you pack heals on your ship, use them on the people that get smashed up. They tweaked the scoring to now include healing done as a factor. I was able to get first place by running my sci heal/CC boat. I pack HE3 (heals over 30K total with 125 aux) and Aux2Structural (can be fired off every 15 seconds). I flew around and just healed everyone and ended up beating them all out over whatever dps they tried to do by sitting still and taking the shockwave in their face. So when I'm flying my sci ship, I love seeing those people now haha.
Ugh. Maybe it's just my vindictive nature when it comes to bad play, but I'd rather see that shockwave's damage hotfixed through the roof and actually penalize players for gaming the mechanics. I just see that as a band-aid, allowing players to be competitive by enabling the bad play of others.
Career Officer
# 1968
04-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
Ugh. Maybe it's just my vindictive nature when it comes to bad play, but I'd rather see that shockwave's damage hotfixed through the roof and actually penalize players for gaming the mechanics. I just see that as a band-aid, allowing players to be competitive by enabling the bad play of others.
I totally understand that. Bad players should be penalized for bad play. However I'd like to offer a different point of view to it though, if you don't mind.

I played FFXI for many years and they had content there called "Campaign." The short version of it is that Campaign was a system where NPC armies would attack various outposts and bases throughout the world and we players had to band together to defend our bases or attack enemy bases. Rather than being a DPS fest they had all kinds of calculations like physical damage dealt, physical damage taken, magical damage dealt, magical damage taken, healing done, etc. Basically this made people play as their classes were intended rather than just OMGDPSEVERYTHING. Tanks tanked, healers healed, and the DPS guys did their thing. We all got rewarded for doing our jobs as they were meant to be played.

Now to come back to STO...I see the new healing calculation added in as a step in this direction, one that I dearly want this game to go in. Rather than just award the deeps for their work, we now have something that awards us healers for our work. Instead of everyone just sitting there and taking care of their own ships we now have people actually playing in a more authentic team setting. Cruisers can tank for us (and even take that shockwave), we sci's can keep everyone running with our heals, and the deeps can just do whatever the deeps always do. Is STO at the point where FFXI was years ago as far as rewarding team play? No not at all, it's not even close. But from my perspective this is a step in the right direction. A small step no doubt, but a step nonetheless.

Anyways my intention isn't to try to sway your mind or argue, just to offer another perspective. As I said earlier, I totally understand your frustrations about this. I really do. STO has a long way to go before it has the rich team scoring mechanics of FFXI, but in the meantime perhaps looking at this in a different light may help.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Commander
# 1969
04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
well, properly built cruisers and science vessels can survive the shockwave the entity releases, and they need to keep shooting it if they want any chance at 1st, because, you know, DPS is king and all that other rot...
Unless there was a very specific bug in the two instances of CE that I checked this in, energy weapons do 1 point of damage per hit whilst the Entity is in absorbtion mode. You could grind maybe 200-300 extra out of it by firing on it whilst it's absorbing. That's very rarely going to decide a position.

If you want to shoot it, use your torps and cutting beam. They still hurt it. I usually go after some fragments or down a Tholian or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
*Snip*
I really wish they'd rebalance PvE to allow for better balance between the ship classes rather than the current DPS dominant meta we have now. Best Sci ship by a mile is the Vesta, because it can equip DHCs and has the turn rate to use them.

It's good to know that you get points for healing in CE, but it's still only three missions I can think of off the top of my head (the other being Starbase Blockade & NWS) where anything other than pure DPS is actually necessary.

Last edited by skhc; 04-13-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Career Officer
# 1970
04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhc View Post
I really wish they'd rebalance PvE to allow for better balance between the ship classes rather than the current DPS dominant meta we have now. Best Sci ship by a mile is the Vesta, because it can equip DHCs and has the turn rate to use them.

It's good to know that you get points for healing in CE, but it's still only three missions I can think of off the top of my head (the other being Starbase Blockade & NWS) where anything other than pure DPS is actually necessary.
Won't get any argument from me on that lol. I'm a sci captain main and I hate the "balance" (rather, the lack of) we have right now. I did eventually pick up the Vesta to stay somewhat relevant, but yeah we need a complete balance pass for sure.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009