Captain
I'm trying to buy some Zen with my Debit card, but there doesn't seem to be any option for it. It's an Interac card for my CIBC account.

Can somebody help?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 2
04-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Is it a VISA Debit card or just a regular Interac Debit card? If the latter, than no, unfortunately you won't be able too use it for online purchases for most places. However, as your already a member of CIBC you should request a VISA debit card. It is NOT a credit card but grants your debit card the same privileges like a credit card. So online purchases, including through PayPal become accessible. Best of all, you can only use it if there is money in your personal account, so no silly interest charges that regular credit cards bring.

On another note, there may be a way of using your regular interac debit card with PayPal. I personally like this service very much as it is very secure. I have used it for years. It ties in with your personal bank account and hence you can send or receive money through PayPal and pay for services like that found here in STO. Normally I use a credit card to sign up but I think you might be able to use the interac debit card. Not sure though.

Final Option: Buy a game card from your local pharmacy or grocery store.

Cheers!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Captain
# 3
04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
Is it a VISA Debit card or just a regular Interac Debit card? If the latter, than no, unfortunately you won't be able too use it for online purchases for most places. However, as your already a member of CIBC you should request a VISA debit card. It is NOT a credit card but grants your debit card the same privileges like a credit card. So online purchases, including through PayPal become accessible. Best of all, you can only use it if there is money in your personal account, so no silly interest charges that regular credit cards bring.

On another note, there may be a way of using your regular interac debit card with PayPal. I personally like this service very much as it is very secure. I have used it for years. It ties in with your personal bank account and hence you can send or receive money through PayPal and pay for services like that found here in STO. Normally I use a credit card to sign up but I think you might be able to use the interac debit card. Not sure though.

Final Option: Buy a game card from your local pharmacy or grocery store.

Cheers!
Unfortunately, when I try PayPal and select Canada as my country the option of using a debit card disappears.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll see about getting that VISA card.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 4
04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
CIBS is the only Canadian Financial Institution that I have heard of that does this. Like I said, it literally is just a regular interac card but with the VISA logo on it and it grants you the purchasing powers (i.e. Signing up with PayPal, for example) that you need. Dunno the costs involved but when they were advertising it here in Montreal last year it was supposed to be straight forward and free.

Best of luck.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)