Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Survivor of Remus
As the thread title suggests, I have some Lobi burning a whole in my inventory and I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Jem'Hadar Assault Wide-Area Minigun or the Ferengi Energy Whip.

What are your experiences with these weapons?

I see quite a few toons in the game carrying the Ferengi Energy Whip but I'm not sure if it's because it's a good weapon or if people are just getting it because it looks cool.

For those players who have the Jem'Hadar Assault Wide-Area Minigun, does it do extra/residual damage after the actual shot similar to the standard Jem'Hadar weapons?
Ensign
# 2
04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I cant speak for the mini gun, but the whip is a vanity item, its almost useless as a combat weapon but it looks really cool.
Lieutenant
# 3
04-14-2013, 01:58 PM
AFAIK, the minigun is arguably better because it does maybe 60% the damage of the energy whip, but spread out over three targets. Good for groups, weak against individual enemies or bosses.

Last edited by pyrophile; 04-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Survivor of Remus
# 4
04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the Minigun might be a good weapon to give one of my BOFFs in an away team so they can law down suppressing fire on multiple targets while I focus my fire on the bosses.
Empire Veteran
# 5
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
You're probably better off saving up and buying a uniform or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 6
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Ferengi whip is basically a sniper rifle primary shot with a stun pistol's secondary performance. It's effective at surprisingly long range but it lacks the Exploit that helps sniper rifles overcome their low DPS.

In depth opinion on the Jem Minigun here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=541271
Commander
# 7
04-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Miniguns are the worst weapon in the game, hands down. The stupidly long animation lock on the secondary fire will get you killed, because it prevents you from running, using hypos or other abilities. Best thing to do with a minigun is right click it and discard and never buy another.

If you're looking at this weapon for its AoE capabilities, pulsewaves, splitbeam rifles and full auto rifles will serve you better, even if they are not always hitting multiple targets. Even a wide beam pistol is better than this piece of junk.

If you had to choose between the two, go for the whip. At least you can mess with people in social zones with it.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Career Officer
# 8
04-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
Miniguns are the worst weapon in the game, hands down. The stupidly long animation lock on the secondary fire will get you killed, because it prevents you from running, using hypos or other abilities. Best thing to do with a minigun is right click it and discard and never buy another.

If you're looking at this weapon for its AoE capabilities, pulsewaves, splitbeam rifles and full auto rifles will serve you better, even if they are not always hitting multiple targets. Even a wide beam pistol is better than this piece of junk.

If you had to choose between the two, go for the whip. At least you can mess with people in social zones with it.
Pretty much this; the concept is fine, but the spin-up time is too long in ground combat where time is of the essence.

In fact, i will go a smidge further and say that as far as exploit weapons go, the Split Beam rifle is the best insofar as it's exploit triggers instantly (read: has no warm up animation). Unlike the HDBR or SR, it will exploit immediate. You give up some damage, but you get it NOW. It's a trade off and works for my play style.

That said, I have used the energy whip successfully in many engagements. Go for it first, as it will likely be pulled off the lobi store and become part of some future "Ferrengi Rep System".

Last edited by badname834854; 04-15-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Captain
# 9
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
The assault gun is GREAT, but only against large groups.

If you're going to wade into a pit of death, that's the gun you use was you walk in, then swap to a pulsewave.
Captain
# 10
04-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
That said, I have used the energy whip successfully in many engagements. Go for it first, as it will likely be pulled off the lobi store and become part of some future "Ferrengi Rep System".
Isn't this the exact opposite of a reason to go for it first? If you believe you can get it WITHOUT coughing up a bajillion Lobi at some upcoming date, why get it now?

Honestly? The thing to do with your Lobi is just to sit on them. It doesn't ACTUALLY burn you if you don't spend them, you know.