Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #6
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Systems Designer Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton reveals details about upcoming Trait System revamp in this entry of the Legacy of Romulus News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Rihannsu
# 2
04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new Trait system. When I first joined STO, I had no idea the ramifications of the traits I selected on my First/Main character, and have long since wanted to respec those traits. And now I'll be able to do so!

Having more traits to play with sounds like fun, too!

Finally, I appreciate that you guys are giving out a free trait respect. It's "expected" with this kind of major overhaul, but it's still nice and something I'm thankful for. Likewise, I like the idea that Gold Members get a discount on future respects.

Questions:
1) To overcome trait restrictions in the past I did make some characters as "Aliens" even though I wanted them to be race X (Andorian, for example). Will there be a "Race" respec that lets us change our existing Aliens to brand-name races?

2) So you guys are aiming to make all races competitive, does this mean all races will be able to select Accurate, Elusive, Efficient, and Leadership (some of the more popular/effective traits)?

3) Will there be any Trait Respecs offered as part of Veteran rewards?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.

Last edited by lordhavelock; 04-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 3
04-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton should be put on revamping Bridge Officers and the whole Captain trainable skill debacle next.
Rihannsu
# 4
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
@lordhavelock

At questions 2 there, from what I have seen, any trait that any race could choose, like accurate and elusive, seem to be open to anyone. On the other hand, things like leadership (which was excusively human) seem to be bundled into the race trait bundle that takes up one trait slot. Those this is just me looking quickly on Tribble, and who knows what they might change.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Career Officer
# 5
04-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Accurate and elusive still look like must-haves. Free crit overflow, and a bit of survivability. Along with crippling fire.. sweet. Loving the new icons too.

Quote:
With all the changes we?re making to the trait system, all existing characters will be given a free trait respec when Legacy of Romulus goes live, and all newly made characters will start with one trait respec so that players can fully customize their traits after character creation. Additional trait respecs will be available in the C- Store, and Gold players will be able to purchase both trait and reputation respecs in the Dilithium Store at a discounted rate. We?ll also be adding a bundle of skill, reputation, and trait respecs in the C- Store at a discount.
Awesome.

Quote:
We also want to add traits that you can unlock via gameplay; whether that?s for completing a certain episode series or for touring the galaxy, only the future will tell.
I can't help but wonder (or should that be want?) if there would ever be a way to gain access to another class's traits, i.e a Tac getting access to Conservation of Energy, or an Eng or Sci getting Crippling Fire. Maybe for getting an accolade for doing x (absurd) amount of exotic damage on a non-sci character would get that character access to that particular trait.

Maybe some traits available through DOFFing too?
----

Last edited by brigadooom; 04-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 6
04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
I kind of wish that "race" traits were rolled into the default traits of the class instead of having to compete with the typically much better general traits. Unique abilities of aliens was kind of a hallmark of Star Trek, and the passive race traits don't really capture that very well. Borg Neural Blast is kind of meh, and has a fairly long cooldown as an example, hard to pick that over the other much better traits.

Also surprised to not see a requirement to take so many ground and space traits, like we had the forced split when the Skills system got revamped. Space traits are mostly pure awesome while ground traits are mostly pure meh, really discourages anyone who isn't into ground combat from taking any ground traits at all.
Lieutenant
# 7
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Really liked the new Trait system on triblle, but i have 1 question.
I have normal Trill. If I buy Joined Trill from Z-Store, can I make my normal Trill - Joined?
Captain
# 8
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
A good theory to try and expand the game, but this still seems to have missed most of the actual issues with traits, sadly. This is probably the one element that based on what's been leaked to Tribble that has disappointed me so far. The lack of a meaningful space trait revamp is a real shame as it remains Accurate, Elusive, and a bunch of junk.

I still like the basic concept of the revamp though, and do think it's at least a start.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Republic Veteran
# 9
04-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I have a question about the trait respecs. I read in the blog that Gold members of the game will be able to get additional trait respecs through the dilithium store at a discounted rate... does this mean that Silver players will also have the trait respecs available in the dilithium store? or is it only available via the C-store for silver players?

The reason why I asked is because it was somewhat confusing where it says that Gold players will be able to get additional respecs at a discounted rate on the dilithium store. This leads me to believe that Silver players will also get the respecs on the Dilithium store but at cost.
Empire Veteran
# 10
04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
This looks fine and there are many design decisions i agree with. Some traits (especially the space sci and tac career-specific ones) need some attention though.