Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Ensign
I use a relatively weak machine: Intel Core2Duo E4500 2.2 GHz with an Nvidia 210 graphics card.

I can get the game to run completely smooth, given certain acceptable compromises in graphics, which to my taste, don't hurt the enjoyment of the game.

This is true to the current holodeck build.

This is also true to the current build of tribble - with the exception of the appearance segment of character creation - In this phase, in order for the player to get the maximum out of the appearance of his character, the system automatically the graphics to maximum, and I get that.
However - in the old build, this background was a simple flat wallpaper, so all the computations were for the presentation of just the character, and even my weak machine could handle it with no problems.
In the new character creation you have this excellent 3d rendered background with the players ship and all, which stays in the appearance phase when the system resets to full graphics - and in my weak system everything just drops to an unusable crawl.

What I suggests is that when a player sets his graphics settings below a certain point (most probably because he has a slow machine) have the system put a flat wallpaper as a background, just for the appearance phase (while keeping the character body in 3d and setting graphics to full - just for it) in order to keep the game functional even for the slow machines.

Thanks

*Potemcy = Potency
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
04-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion47 View Post
I use a relatively weak machine: Intel Core2Duo E4500 2.2 GHz with an Nvidia 210 graphics card.

I can get the game to run completely smooth, given certain acceptable compromises in graphics, which to my taste, don't hurt the enjoyment of the game.

This is true to the current holodeck build.

This is also true to the current build of tribble - with the exception of the appearance segment of character creation - In this phase, in order for the player to get the maximum out of the appearance of his character, the system automatically the graphics to maximum, and I get that.
However - in the old build, this background was a simple flat wallpaper, so all the computations were for the presentation of just the character, and even my weak machine could handle it with no problems.
In the new character creation you have this excellent 3d rendered background with the players ship and all, which stays in the appearance phase when the system resets to full graphics - and in my weak system everything just drops to an unusable crawl.

What I suggests is that when a player sets his graphics settings below a certain point (most probably because he has a slow machine) have the system put a flat wallpaper as a background, just for the appearance phase (while keeping the character body in 3d and setting graphics to full - just for it) in order to keep the game functional even for the slow machines.

Thanks

*Potemcy = Potency
This sounds eerily like a graphics/systems bug to me. You might be better of reposting in the tribble bug forums. What you are describing should not be happening. The game should release the resources when you get into the game proper, and use the player defined settings, and not use every setting on the highest possible quality.

Anything on Tribble is WIP (work in progress), so I would have to think that this is an unintended bug...
Captain
# 3
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
May be the video card, I have a dual 2.4 processor, 3 gigas ram, but a 640 megabytes video card and game runs smoothly on best graphical settings.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Ensign
# 4
04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
This sounds eerily like a graphics/systems bug to me. You might be better of reposting in the tribble bug forums. What you are describing should not be happening. The game should release the resources when you get into the game proper, and use the player defined settings, and not use every setting on the highest possible quality.

Anything on Tribble is WIP (work in progress), so I would have to think that this is an unintended bug...
I guess I haven't explained myself good enough - this happens only in the stage of character creation when you manage your characters appearance.
At this point the system goes "full graphics" so you can see how the character looks at full graphics.
After you complete the appearance settings and move to the next stage (name and background IIRC) everything returns to the graphic settings you chose.

This happens at the current version of holodeck, but with the simple flat wallpaper background my system had no trouble handling it.
In the new build on trible, the new background is also 3d rendered, and it is simply too much...

I don't think its a bug, as the new character creation screen is plan to be this way (and its really nice this way). the new set simply hadn't considered lower potency machines, which will find it to hard to handle...

Last edited by centurion47; 04-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.