Career Officer
# 11
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I am kind of liking this.

I saw it for a little while on Tribble, and I must say the overall feel is nice.

I am curious of the Red Alert though... Is this on Tribble yet?
I would like to see how this works. As you mention through out the blog, one of the goals was to keep the UI from distracting.
Wouldn't a pulsing red display kind of defeat that purpose?
Captain
# 12
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm really hoping that the new UI means that the PvP queues will be moved out of the drop down arrow and given their own button.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
04-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter1969 View Post
I am kind of liking this.

I saw it for a little while on Tribble, and I must say the overall feel is nice.

I am curious of the Red Alert though... Is this on Tribble yet?
I would like to see how this works. As you mention through out the blog, one of the goals was to keep the UI from distracting.
Wouldn't a pulsing red display kind of defeat that purpose?
From what I here, it's a very subtle glow, though I have yet to test it.
My Fan Fictions
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
Been enjoying the new UI on Tribble, makes me sad to come back to live.

Yellow Alert when hostiles are nearby, but not engaged, might be neat. Or even when you are in one of those funky nebulas that disrupt ship systems.
This.

And maybe 'grey mode' when you're in those funky sensor jamming nebulas or high-magnesite asteroid fields.

While I know we never saw this in the show, since Cloaking is new on Federation ships and, as we saw on DS9, they couldn't keep the Defiant's lights on while cloaked (in fact they had to cut main power completely), could we maybe see that triggering a 'grey mode' which is essentially cutting all but main power?

Also, perhaps a 'Blue Alert' when we hit Spacedock Control Area (the point where you're stuck to manoeuvring jets) at ESD?
My Fan Fictions
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
okay, so...this is worse.

no border shadow to the windows make them look flat. the borders of the windows are unnecessarily thicker than they should be. the federation bold font was changed to federation standard and loses it's bold, making it super thin and the shadow distorts the label when viewed in black space. chat no longer has channel labels, now requires user to color code each custom chat channel with a specific color to separate them when shown on same chat tab. power presets don't match the corresponding subsystem labels underneath the respective power levels, thus making the presets confusing for new players.

you know what i liked about the current user interface design? it's clean.
twitter - tehjonel

Last edited by tehjonel; 04-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Career Officer
# 16
04-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Again, another potentially great improvement to the game that wasn't executed well. Some parts of the new UI look as if it was made in MS paint or something. But the rest looks really nice and feels more like Star Trek.
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinn74 View Post
Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-17-2013, 01:36 PM
I do hope to get that Klingon red as well as an option
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
Again, another potentially great improvement to the game that wasn't executed well. Some parts of the new UI look as if it was made in MS paint or something. But the rest looks really nice and feels more like Star Trek.
Check your game res. I thought the same thing until I realised my resolution was set to 840x420 (I just know I've butchered that ) instead of the monitor resolution. It looked fine after that.
My Fan Fictions
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
04-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Can we keep the current one?
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Ugh
On tribble, I don't think that any of those colour schemes is usable due to the contrast between colours. I find it painful to use for more than a few mins at a time.
Perhaps this could be mitigated if one could turn down brightness or contrast of the UI separately from the game itself? Or better still, let us change the UI colours ourselves, rather than a few colour schemes.
Personally, I would choose keep the fed "blue on blue". It's much easier on these old eyeballs of mine.

For as long as I have known of this new UI, I've had the feeling that it is simply for the sake of it, rather than reasons of practicality. Even after the last tribble patch, I've been seeing higher cpu usage than on holodeck, with the same ram usage and for what? A set of colour schemes that I cannot use for more than a minute or two at a time?
Although with that said, I assume that there are a load of extra testing and sanity checks running in the background on tribble?

Maybe I should upgrade from eyes v0.89?
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes