Career Officer
# 61
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
Would you? Starbase 24 Fleet Action opens at level 4 where you end up fighting a huge Klingon fleet. Most of the patrol missions in Sirius, Regulus and Pi Canis sector blocks deal with the KDF. You can see red enemy contacts all over the sector space. The only thing missing from the war is player vs player.

Of course all that changes after the first 15 levels...
You don't really fight any Klingons after that either, at least not ones working for the empire, aside from the ones you make nice with when fighting the Undine.

B'vat is a weird case. He's the guy who installed J'mpok but every indication Fed side is that he's since become a criminal, obsessed with using a Doomsday Machine he learned about from the Temporal Cold War for personal power... Along with going back and restoring Klingon forehead ridges. And his past self and the Klingon you team up with both seem to regard modern B'vat as a traitor.

Seriously, if you just said SB24 was a rogue fleet from the House of B'vat, you'd walk away Fed-side thinking the war was mostly dying down.

And if each PvP battleground had proxy factions like WoW, you'd have red v. Blue, side v. Side PvP without a war... And it would be considerably more balanced with each side having mixed teams.

I can even think of a solid lore reason why you'd have geographical flashpoints where people abandon faction loyalty and start fighting in two teams. It would boil down to the idea of there being technology or artifacts which heighten irrational and aggressive behavior scattered around... And wherever those are found, people break down into fighting. Not unlike the Sword of Kahless' corrupting influence.

That would also allow for a lot more visually diverse and interesting PvP scenarios with unique themes rather than making them all resource squabbles between Feds and KDF. And I'd look at key lore locations for PvP then, which I think works well in other MMOs. (I'm thinking in particular how DCUO has a batcave arena.)
Captain
# 62
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I can even think of a solid lore reason why you'd have geographical flashpoints where people abandon faction loyalty and start fighting in two teams. It would boil down to the idea of there being technology or artifacts which heighten irrational and aggressive behavior scattered around... And wherever those are found, people break down into fighting. Not unlike the Sword of Kahless' corrupting influence.
In the TOS episode "Day of the Dove", the crews of the Enterprise and Commnder Kang's cruiser (never named in the episode, that I can recall) were pitted against each other by a life-form that fed on hostility, and artificially inflated ill-feeling between the two crews to the extent of creating false memories of lost loved ones (Pavel's brother, for instance - Pavel Chekhov was an only child). They defeated it in the end by allying with each other and laughing at it until it left.

It seems unlikely that only one such life-form existed in the galaxy...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 63
04-17-2013, 03:31 PM
An even better lore reason would be "Oh no - that group of ships over there are all commanded by Undine infiltrators! Get 'em!" It explains not only why we're fighting, but also why we're teamed up with people of the other faction, since we do this exact thing in some of the actual missions.