Captain
# 21
04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
My first attempt at one of these challenges. It's awful, but I had fun doing it.

I really enjoyed reading the other entries. Nice work so far guys.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 22
04-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
My first attempt at one of these challenges. It's awful, but I had fun doing it.

I really enjoyed reading the other entries. Nice work so far guys.
You give yourself far too little credit. Your opening paragraph was awesome, and your premise of a band of "agitators" being hunted down by the Tal Shiar was more than a little intriguing.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 23
04-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
You give yourself far too little credit. Your opening paragraph was awesome, and your premise of a band of "agitators" being hunted down by the Tal Shiar was more than a little intriguing.
Well, thank you kindly.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out too: I can barely keep up with one character, so a new Romulan might have to wait awhile. On the bright side, that'll mean less writing and more reading...

Edit: I thought I'd have some more free time this weekend, but getting ready for next week's vacation is bogging me down after all. I won't be around much until after next weekend, but I'll try to read and comment a bit here and there. Good luck to everyone, and I'll look forward to reading them!

Last edited by sparklysoldier; 04-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Like a lot of folks I like to play a character a bit first to get the feel of it but ever since the Legacy of Romulus announcement I have been thinking about this character. I tend to write the bios for my characters with enough detail for you to get a feel for them but not so tight that there isnt any room for growth or tweaking the back story a bit to further RP.

This was also my first participation in one of these challenges. I enjoyed it and hope you all did as well. Keep a look out for that kindly old Romulan who makes a big effort to appear out of the game of intergalactic intrigue but somehow always seems to keep a hand in it.
Admiral Marcus Red-Six
Fleet Admiral
Strategic Exploration Command
Commander
# 26
04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Greetings, all!

Well, I haven't decided yet if I will make a Romulan when it comes out (mainly because I'd have to delete an existing character to open a slot), but I thought I would post an entry for everyone's enjoyment.

Disclaimer: I claim artistic license for any deviations from established Romulan background or cultural setup. I've tried to do my research, but I'm hiding behind the right of an author of a ST episode to completely ignore previous episodes in favor of their story
Captain
# 27
04-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Disclaimer: I claim artistic license for any deviations from established Romulan background or cultural setup. I've tried to do my research, but I'm hiding behind the right of an author of a ST episode to completely ignore previous episodes in favor of their story
You are fully within your rights to do so. For instance, as you may have noticed with my first entry, my take is strongly flavored by Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels, whether they're canon or not (although certain place-names and bits of dialog suggest that the writers at STO are using her works as a jumping-off point as well).

I haven't read your story yet, and will probably come back and amend this when I do (a little busy this evening, not sure if I'll be able to get to it right away), but that's still going to be my stance - if it makes a better story, rearrange whatever you need to.

Edit: Unless there's something on the Tribble server that contradicts your tale, I don't see any issues with it - you've extended the ideas, and contradicted nothing of which I'm aware. And you've done a damn fine job of it, too.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts

Last edited by jonsills; 04-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-17-2013, 09:00 PM
My own story is up.

Last edited by cosmonaut12345; 04-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Career Officer
# 29
04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
@danqueller - A temple priestess turned tactical officer. This should be interesting... I like the way you sprinkled in Rihannsu where appropriate and worked in a lot of religious references.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm borrowing a small element from your story, of an anonymous and well-connected priestess showing kindness to the Havrannsu. (I'm writing for a Reman.)

Looking forward to more!

@cosmonaut12345 - oh, shoot, you caught me! Great tone to your piece, and brilliant twist at the end. Welcome to the LCs and the Forums!

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Sander -

Glad you liked it! Dr. Othan was born to be the worst kind of Romulan - but the death of his society forced him to be something else entirely.