Commander
# 61
04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Most of the story parts of this game are the complete opposite of content. Since this game doesn't really have text trees that branch out as you make decisions, defining all those walls of nothing as content is stretching reality awfully far, unless we've time warped back to the 1990's.
Will there really be that much new missions? A fleet buddy said that most of the new KDF stuff is just the fed cardassian missions cut & pasted to the KDF. I have not been on tribble, so i do not know. And i do hope they add tons of stuff for a new Rom story arc. But that this point, i am think it will be something like:

"Welcome, new Romulan recruit. Please log in to the console behind you."

<tap tap tap>

"Congratulations! You are now level 40!"

Cryptic: "See we added 0-40 Romulan content. Welcome to the MMO genre! Now get out there and grind!"

Beers,

Jengoz =/

"Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
Republic Veteran
# 62
04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjonel View Post
chat no longer has channel labels, now requires user to color code each custom chat channel with a specific color to separate them when shown on same chat tab.
You can enabled them in the options menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Will there really be that much new missions? A fleet buddy said that most of the new KDF stuff is just the fed cardassian missions cut & pasted to the KDF. I have not been on tribble, so i do not know. And i do hope they add tons of stuff for a new Rom story arc. But that this point, i am think it will be something like:

"Welcome, new Romulan recruit. Please log in to the console behind you."

<tap tap tap>

"Congratulations! You are now level 40!"

Cryptic: "See we added 0-40 Romulan content. Welcome to the MMO genre! Now get out there and grind!"

Beers,

Jengoz =/

"Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"

There is enough unique Romulan content to get you to 40. after that it is Featured Episodes.

Yes, some of the new Klingon content is rehashed Fed missions, but looking at the mission journal on trbble, there is a new content as well.

Last edited by tuskin67; 04-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Career Officer
# 63
04-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlbrtnfrnt View Post
That's the one gripe I have with the new UI design. I like seeing the viewscreen, but I DON'T like seeing a TNG Galaxy viewscreen flying around in my Odyssey. It's also detracted by the fact that this comes up in all space dialogue windows (haven't checked ground yet). It would be nice to select the viewscreen layer and/or turn it off. I don't know if that's possible, or how easy it would be to implement, but it would be a nice option to have.
I truly dislike:

1) That this window is HUGE

2) it can't be moved (IE when you do relocate it, it doesn't remember teh position you dragged it to - it ALWAYS pops up in the center)

3) It can't be resized.

4) The actual text (you know the MAIN REASON this window is needed) is hard to find/read.

5) It's ALWAYS a TNG based Galaxy Class viewscreen (regardless of your Bridge selection on your ship interior.)

6) (And I'm normally not one to complain about immersion-breaking, but) - Why in the world would a Boff that's on my Bridge (either in front, behind, or beside me at his/her/it's station) appear on my main viewscreen every time he/she/it says something to me? I must have missed that shot in all the Star Trek episodes I've watched over the decades. It's going to be really funny seeing that Boff on a viewscreen on Ground missions.

Sorry, but the nice things about the window we have now (and will be loosing to this over-sized monstrosity):

1) It was MOVABLE.

2) It wasn't HUGE and didn't take up 50% of the real estate on your screen.

2) It gave you a mice simple shot of the Boff (or other character talking) and allowed you to decide if the character was (IE with you on the Bridge, talking to you over your communicator, etc.)

3) The actual text you need to read occupied a prominent position an was easily readable.
^^^
IMO of all the aspects iof trhe UI that needed adjustment - that window wasn't one of them.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Empire Veteran
# 64
04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Extremely nice work, I like the Red Alert and the different species choices like Gorn and Orion. This will bennefit a lot of people especially those who claim the red of the KDF UI hurts their eyes.

Great work, a much needed and appriecated improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 65
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
First of all, I'd like to say I'd be fine with the green version of the current UI. The "would be" shot looks nice.

Second: I hope you're still working on the possibility of setting a different UI scheme independently for any toon (or at least faction). I might like to use the Gorn scheme on my Gorn, but I certainly wouldn't want to see it on my FEDs. Same for the TNG of Voyager schemes; I might enjoy them on my FEDs, but hardly on my Klingon or future Romulan.

Third: As I've been detailing in the appropriate Tribble patch threads and the new UI thread in the Tribble section, there are still many things to "optimise" on the new UI to make it, visually and functionally (since it apparently already has a smaller system's load advantage), a valid replacement to the current one.

The main point is to decrease the amount and size of empty spaces in the new UI (as you've recently done with the tray - good job there). Without such a decrease, the new UI generally takes more space while offering less functionality. (The new dialog contact window is a somewhat removed example of that as well, but take a look at the Doff window, you'll see how inefficiently it is structured.)

I hope those useless empty spaces will be eradicated and abnormally large buttons scaled appropriately to the text embedded within them before the May release. Then I'll be happy. (Sad for seeing the old UI go, but happy the new one is as good.)

EDIT: Oh, and I hope you plan to release more schemes in the future (as may have been hinted at by someone) since it is now easier to create them. I'd enjoy a darker, redder Klingon scheme. The orange is very taxing on my eyes (unlike the current red KDF UI on holodeck, btw.).
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!

Last edited by toiva; 04-17-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 66
04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
I truly dislike:

2) it can't be moved (IE when you do relocate it, it doesn't remember teh position you dragged it to - it ALWAYS pops up in the center)

3) It can't be resized.

4) The actual text (you know the MAIN REASON this window is needed) is hard to find/read.

5) It's ALWAYS a TNG based Galaxy Class viewscreen (regardless of your Bridge selection on your ship interior.)

6) (And I'm normally not one to complain about immersion-breaking, but) - Why in the world would a Boff that's on my Bridge (either in front, behind, or beside me at his/her/it's station) appear on my main viewscreen every time he/she/it says something to me? I must have missed that shot in all the Star Trek episodes I've watched over the decades. It's going to be really funny seeing that Boff on a viewscreen on Ground missions.

Sorry, but the nice things about the window we have now (and will be loosing to this over-sized monstrosity):

1) It was MOVABLE.

2) It gave you a mice simple shot of the Boff (or other character talking) and allowed you to decide if the character was (IE with you on the Bridge, talking to you over your communicator, etc.)

3) The actual text you need to read occupied a prominent position an was easily readable.
^^^
IMO of all the aspects iof trhe UI that needed adjustment - that window wasn't one of them.

i dont think people realize how many pop-ups there are in this game. At one point in beta it took like 6 clicks to just dock at Earth.

That thing is going to pop up ALL the time. So you know how when you are trying to exit a sector and you get the pop up when you pass an entrace. Now you'll get that huge screen twice.

It compleatly block your view. Its too intrusive. I would even make the one we have now SMALLER.

On the example i posted the BO is saying one sentace. And its info you dont even read anyway. All we want is the button. But most of the screen is taken up by a box that just displays like 10 words.

This is not an improvement on what we have now.

I would prefer a small pop-up in the corner for all the busy work we have to do.

And lets be honest. Unless you are playing a new story, no one reads this stuff. Everyone knows exactly what it says. I dont need more "immersive" pop-up boxes just to change sectors.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Captain
# 67
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
I truly dislike:

3) It can't be resized.

1) It was MOVABLE.

^^^
I wholeheartedly agree with that, btw.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 68
04-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
I. WANT. FACTION-DEPENDENT. COLOR. SCHEMES.

If you mean "I want to use a blue interface on my Feds, a Red on my Klingons, and a Green on my Rommunists", then why are you mad? That's all in there; you can make those choices. They're the defaults, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Players: "We want more content! Please, give us more story!!"

Cryptic: "Thank you for your comments. We have taken your feedback into consideration and are proud to announce that we have updated the User Interface!"

Players: o_O
People have been complaining that the UI is insufficiently Trek-like and unfortunately shaded since alpha testing. This isn't Cryptic failing to listen to one block of players; it's them ALSO listening to another block of players. BTW, you're making this complaint about their largest content patch in the history of the game.
Republic Veteran
# 69
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
I love the new UI,. and thanks for showing that Green Romulan looking one to remind me why I hate the old UI, and glad it's going away finally.

Cryptic keeps making something signature worthy almost everyday now, I 'm taking a break
Ensign
# 70
04-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I been testing out the new UI on tribble, it looks somuch better than the old clunky UI. There is some polishing and tweaking to be done on the new UI but it's a great step in the right direction.

I do agree with others than it seems silly that your bridge officers is on the "large" viewscreen during a space conversation. Talking to another captain on the NPC ship with a viewscreen is great but not with your officers, perhaps you could make a smaller "normal screen"for your bridge officers (could have a picture of bridge console in background for example) and the screen you got at the moment for NPC captains?

The LCARS UI could do with a little 3D effect to make it look less flat.

The red alert HUD would be nice if it flashed (not too fast a slow pulse flash). If your hud is going to red alert is there a need for a "red alert" writing above as it seems to clash with the enemy target display.

On the ground everything seems nice and simple and I lvoe the fact that in shooter mode what you look at shows there health/shields etc in a target box. But the avatar of your captain could be improved a bit as the 3D model seems a bit off.

The maps are improved a bit with seeing people (npc's) on map but still need work as the maps is essential just a static picture. (3D galaxy map would be awesome but that would be hard work)

Of course this UI can be tweaked before launch and after and to be honest I am not looking forward to using live UI after the tribble.

Great work so far Crpypic (also I agree with others an excelsior ENT-B UI would be awesome)

Last edited by solonite; 04-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.