Well, with the changes on Emergency Power to Shields heading for Tribble apparently ruining my cruiser builds, I'd like opinions on getting a substitute build as best as I can.
A few notes as to what I'm looking for:
* Not a healboat. My main is a tac and I'm just plain not interested in being a dedicated healer, although tossing off spare repairs is fine when I can.
* Not an escort. If I want an escort, I'll just use an escort. I want to try this first.
* Ultimately I'm hoping for a DPS-tank, which I've been able to manage plenty well. I'm not interested in perfect match-ups in a pre-made group or anything like that, I enjoy getting in and slugging it out toe-to-toe.
* I don't subscribe to the theory that cruisers "don't need to turn," although having a power of around 50 and an RCS console or two is sufficient (no need for Aux to Dampeners or anything super fancy). I'm not expecting an escort turn rate or even necessarily much of a science turn rate.
* Splitting my attention between 20 different cooldowns, four shield facings, hull HP, four teammates and a dozen or more enemies is extremely difficult and un-fun for me. I need to have the computer help me with this (e.g. chaining), as opposed to waiting for the absolute perfect moment that will probably be off by one second and screw up 2 minutes of planning and maneuvering, and be unrecoverable due to a 3-5 minute cooldown for a power.
* I'd also prefer to avoid major dips and rebounds, so Aux 2 Bat (which I am only vaguely familiar with) probably won't work, at least for now. In fact, I have heard that Aux 2 Bat may be nerfed as well, so it may not even be an option.
* I anticipate tactical team is going to be nerfbatted soon, so I'd like to try to find something to get around that, although I suspect the generic 'redistribute shields' option will be my only recourse, here.
I have no idea if this is even possible, and it may be that I just have to use one of my escorts or Aux 2 Bat (if it's even still usable after all this), but I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Also, I am aware that I am not hyper-optimized for anything, but I seem to be pretty effective at most things with my current setup. For what it's worth, I currently use a Fleet Assault Cruiser.
Thank you for any help you can give me, and again, I realize it may be impossible to come up with a comparable build, but I'd like to see if anyone out there has any suggestions, since I certainly want to try.
If they go through with this idiotic 'fix,' I'll be in a similar boat with my Odyssey (yes its clunky and underperforming, but its my baby!). Have been thinking though, if they AT LEAST drop the global Emergency-To cooldown to 10 seconds, it'll still be possible to run a 4 Emergency-To chain with only a small gap of about 2.5 seconds per cycle. (Of course if they don't adjust the global, even just that little thing, tanks become pretty much impossible.) A dual aux2bat build could make it possible to do it all with just 1 copy of each power, but that depends on how all the timers are ultimately set.
For the love of Kirk, Cryptic, PLEASE don't do this! It negates an entire class of ships!
First off, thanks for all the responses so far. I'm glad people are aware of this outside the Tribble forums.
However, as much as I'd like to wait, the stony silence from the devs inclines me to think that the only way we're not going to be told it's "working as intended" and complete indifference for those whose ships are now spuds will be a riot just after the LoR release, akin to the STF dilithium screaming after S7's debut.
As I am not sure such an outcry would work, I would like to start thinking about how to keep the game enjoyable now, instead of later.
At the moment it's starting to look like the only really viable solution is an Aux2Bat build, which seems to leave significant coverage gaps as well, and also drains your aux to the point you can't repair much of anything. This is compounded by the fact that the Team powers are on shared cooldown, so to get around the repair problem would probably require me to drop Tac Team, which makes the problem even WORSE. Discouraging, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if I could manage an effective, cruiser-like build with my Steamrunner, but that seems like it would end rather badly.
The shared cooldown between two Emergency Power-type abilities of the same type has been reduced from 30 seconds down to 20 seconds.
Example: Emergency Power to Shields I and Emergency Power to Shields II
It's pretty much the exact same before they reduced the activation of EPtS from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.
You got your 100% uptime back. Not sure why people are still complaining about it.
Yeah, if they're doing that it's just a pure cruiser nerf. I had initially thought that they intended to make it more desirable to have extra eng abilities (and just hadn't noticed that there weren't any to fill in the gap), but this means they're actually actively making it harder to build an effective cruiser. Dumb, devs, really dumb.
The ability to cycle two kinds of Emergency powers at the same time, the staple of so many cruiser builds.
This. I imagine that science cruisers may also be hit pretty hard with this, with EPtA getting hit with it as well. But my DPS cruiser is definitely going to feel this, because I won't be able to use EPtW without breaking my chain badly.
As another poster commented - cruiser nerf. Considering these are very central engineering powers, and cruisers are the engineering ship, they're going to take it in the face with this.