Career Officer
# 11
04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
You need to keep up with the changes man. EPTS was buffed so much in the las build that it is even stronger than the current version.
Join Unrepentant!

Starfleet Veteran
# 12
04-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
The problem is that if you intend to use non-phaser weapons on the Fleet Dreadnought, I guarantee that you'd be more effective using the Fleet Excelsior or Fleet Assault Cruiser instead, because they are guaranteed to move and turn faster and will probably have similar boff and console layouts.
the dreadnought cruiser is ALREADY less effective than any tact cruiser out there and having a phaser weapons do not magically close the gap.

if the idea is that the dmg that you get from the lance is here to balance things somehow, get that idea from your head.
let said that you got a hit shot at an enemy with the lance, and compared it to a plasma proc in a 3 minute time frame, the fac that the plasma proc do more damage would not surprised me!
and that assuming on just a 3 min ( time for lance cooldown) if we get more time and included the miss shot, i hardly see why a little less powerfull lance will gimp the ship even further.
Captain
# 13
04-17-2013, 07:21 AM
If you're running EPTS1 and EPTS1 alone, yes. If you're a typical 2 different EPTxen or EPTS > 1, then you're either screwed, or left with a pair of useless Ensign slots that you can't run anything except 2x Engi Team in...which is not exactly terrifically useful itself. The main selling points of being a cruiser are now its liabilities, since it is effectively down two power slots over other ships.
Captain
# 14
04-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Being locked into phasers aint such a bad thing. If you were building for insane shield regen with rep bonuses, going all Elite Phasers with shield healing consoles and omega weapons systems on the side gives me DPS and survivability in stacks. I even threw in the Assimilated set for the theme, and there was much synergy to be had. There was also enough shield regen for me to not notice the extra 5% of damage I was taking. Not to mention being immune to plasma.

I'm still going to run 4 EPtX skills because that will proc the WCE doff reliably, and that will cover some aspect of the gaps in defense. I still believe in the Dragon Flagship.

Failing which I'd just switch to Aux2Batt with non-aux dependent heals.

Plenty of ways to play the Dreadnought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 15
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlapo View Post
You need to keep up with the changes man. EPTS was buffed so much in the las build that it is even stronger than the current version.
The way Emergency Power to Shields currently is on Tribble, unless there have been some very significant changes in the last day or so, essentially gives you the choice between EPtS and any other Emergency Power ability. As such, as EPtS is viewed as vital to survival, almost any commander is going to use EPtS and probably not much else, because of the impracticality of using EPtW or any other emergency power in cycling alongside another EP. So while cruisers have some of their ruggedness back (although they still have some significant gaps in terms of power uptime, as I understand it), they're also hard pressed to matter enough to be worth shooting at.

Considering the Dreadnaught, with its lance, is about the epitome of the concept of the tactical cruiser, this is not a good thing for its viability.
Captain
# 16
04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1nx View Post
the dreadnought cruiser is ALREADY less effective than any tact cruiser out there and having a phaser weapons do not magically close the gap.
Yes I know, that's my point. You have to gimp yourself with phasers to make use of the lance, and the alternative is to use a different ship that would be better.

Quote:
if the idea is that the dmg that you get from the lance is here to balance things somehow, get that idea from your head.
I made that exact point already. The lance should be worth it, but it isn't.

Quote:
i hardly see why a little less powerfull lance will gimp the ship even further.
My point is the lance might as well not even be there. So get a tactical cruiser without the lance. They need to buff the lance to hell and back to make the dreadnought worth using.
Captain
# 17
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
It won't be worth flying anyway since you'll be locked into using phasers on it because of phaser lance. No versatility whatsoever. No phased polarons, no awesome Romulan disruptors, no refracting tetryons. All because it's only main ability (the whole reason for using the ship in the first place) would be gimped to uselessness if you don't cram on those phaser relays.
Weapon proc is not as important as weapon mods, and consoles, and besides the phaser proc is excellent. Your ship will also look better shooting phasers rather then all the wrong color weapons for Fed ships. I never had a problem doing high DPS in pve or pvp on my feds and only use phasers on them. Mk XII purple [Acc] [CrtH]x2 DHC with mk XII purple consoles are going to hurt regardless of the weapon type.

All these new dual proc weapons are just gimicks to get people into lockboxes and to waste dil on the rep system, not needed at all.
Career Officer
# 18
04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah, the lance is a disgrace to be honest. 3 minute long cooldown for a weapon that misses more than half the time and with meagre to okay damage.

One Year and Three months waiting for Fleet Galaxy X - "Technical Difficulties" Since 8th Feb 12.
Landmark Technical Difficulties Dates: 13/01/12 - 8/11/12 - 14/11/12 - 14/12/12 - 26/04/13
Career Officer
# 19
04-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Meager damage. What are you talking about?

How are you speccing your character skills? BOFFs? DOs?
Captain
# 20
04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
He must not be specced right, using phaser consoles, or is not a tac captain. I have seen people do good with it like Dalnar getting 1 shot kills in pvp on other players using just the lance.