Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg Player Faction?
04-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I watched the STOked interview and DStahl said he wants to have a Borg faction in the game. Now I usually support any new content for this game but playable Borg? I think this would be a bad idea, the Borg are one dimensional (Sort of like high tech zombies) and should be permanent PVE villains. Every mission would be - Go assimilate [ ] - gee wouldn't that be fun. The only people who would think this would be cool are kids and those who like godmode when they play. The game is slowly slipping into absurdity.

How about the Cardassians, Dominion, or Ferengi for a Player faction?
Captain
# 2
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
I watched the STOked interview and DStahl said he wants to have a Borg faction in the game. Now I usually support any new content for this game but playable Borg? I think this would be a bad idea, the Borg are one dimensional (Sort of like high tech zombies) and should be permanent PVE villains. Every mission would be - Go assimilate [ ] - gee wouldn't that be fun. The only people who would think this would be cool are kids and those who like godmode when they play. The game is slowly slipping into absurdity.

How about the Cardassians, Dominion, or Ferengi for a Player faction?
Borg have need thown out there as a possible long term faction for a while. There are some who love the idea, there are some, like you, who hate it.

Not sure the Ferengi would make a good faction either to be honest. The Ferengi Alliance isn't a major power in a political/military sense. They are traders, granted some like that idea, but I am not sure it makes for a fun game.
Commander
# 3
04-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Star Trek Armada and Armada 2 had playable borg, so it's not that far fetched an idea.
Captain
# 4
04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
The Borg should always be that menacing, omnipotent, relentless danger. Something that player factions never are for the sake of balance. For that reason alone, the Borg should never be a playable faction in a game like STO.
Empire Veteran
# 5
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I am all for the Borg as a playable faction. I don't see them "joining up" with the Feds or KDF to help in the war.
Captain
# 6
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Hugh, Icheb, Seven of 9 ... playable borg are definitely possible.
Captain
# 7
04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Hugh, Icheb, Seven of 9 ... playable borg are definitely possible.
Playable Borg, yes. That is kind of the whole point of the Liberated Borg species.

But I am not sure a Playable Faction is doable.
Captain
# 8
04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
In any game where borg have been playable, even just making them slightly as powerful compared to how they were seen on TV has made them riddiculously OP like in Star Trek Armada 1 and 2, and Starfleet Command 3.

Borg faction would be bad for the game, it would either be balanced and feel nothing like being the borg except for having borg ship skins, or it would be OP if it were to be accurate.
Captain
# 9
04-17-2013, 09:00 PM
A Borg faction is never going to work as per the above have explained.

A Borg reputation might, like you might even say Janeway did some rep grinding out in the Delta quadrant for example to get her ship to bulldung its way through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 10
04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Borg have need thown out there as a possible long term faction for a while. There are some who love the idea, there are some, like you, who hate it.

Not sure the Ferengi would make a good faction either to be honest. The Ferengi Alliance isn't a major power in a political/military sense. They are traders, granted some like that idea, but I am not sure it makes for a fun game.
The way STO is structured right now, the Ferengi wouldn't make a lot of sense. Crafting's barely worth the time you put into it nowadays, and trading/selling is accessible by everyone and prices are determined by the market. Only advantage I could see the Ferengi having is a higher default sell price, which would be great for junk sellers (like myself, for example).

I want the next faction (if there is to be another one at some point) to be Cardassian, personally.