Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 829
# 11
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I like this. Maybe a Borg cube shows up while you're retaking the player ship and the Khitomer covers your escape. Something that prevents the Khitomer from coming to your aid.

Of course if you wanted to make it really dark, you could fight and destroy an assimilated version of the Khitomer at the end.
I am still iffy if the Khitomer even has the authority to make someone a captain of another vessel. And remember it is highly unlikely an ensign would be chosen anyways. So either the captain of the khitomer is incompetent and gives someone a job they are not qualified for, or they abandon a crew member (ie you) and save their own skins. Either way, doesn't say much for that guys career.

Plus there are potentially higher ranking officers on board the ship you are on. Assuming you transfer all the current "beam over to the Khitomer" stuff to the now "beam over to Ship X", you have a Andorian Lieutenant and a Vulcan (?) Commander in Engineering. Don't remember what the Bajoran (again ?) in the transporter room's rank was, but presumably he also outranked you. Any one of these would take over as captain (though logically the Commander first) over an ensign.

The bottomline is any change seems just more silly and absurd then what we currently have.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,033
# 12
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Here's what I'm thinking:

You go to the Khitomer's bridge, where Taggart assigns you to join an away team beaming over to help the [ShipName] fight off a Borg boarding party. The [ShipName] has lost most of its crew, including all but one of the senior staff. Over the course of the tutorial the last senior officer from the [ShipName] dies, as does your away team leader. Meanwhile, the Khitomer comes under attack and is assimilated.

Being the highest-ranked officer left on board, you go to the [ShipName]'s bridge and take command. After helping fight off the invasion in much the same way you do in the current tutorial, the assimilated Khitomer warps in and you have to destroy it.

I don't think that's any less implausible than what we have now. Under such circumstances, I wouldn't think it really matters whether you're assigned to the [ShipName] or not.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,108
# 13
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Here's what I'm thinking:

You go to the Khitomer's bridge, where Taggart assigns you to join an away team beaming over to help the [ShipName] fight off a Borg boarding party. The [ShipName] has lost most of its crew, including all but one of the senior staff. Over the course of the tutorial the last senior officer from the [ShipName] dies, as does your away team leader. Meanwhile, the Khitomer comes under attack and is assimilated.

Being the highest-ranked officer left on board, you go to the [ShipName]'s bridge and take command. After helping fight off the invasion in much the same way you do in the current tutorial, the assimilated Khitomer warps in and you have to destroy it.

I don't think that's any less implausible than what we have now. Under such circumstances, I wouldn't think it really matters whether you're assigned to the [ShipName] or not.
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. There is almost no one left on the [player ship] and if the away team leader is taken out (which is a great excuse to force you to seek out the EMH) you are literally all that there is.

You're right that once you retake the [player ship] and reestablish contact with the Khitomer, there needs to be a good reason they don't beam over more experienced officers to relieve you. They can't lower shields if they're battling a cube.

I would say that the Khitomer shouldn't be assimilated right away as that just means you have to fight it before you've gone through the space tutorial. If the Khitomer is actively holding off the cube, and the [player ship]'s weapons are damaged, retreat is a prudent action. (And a good way to teach about ship movement.)

(I'm really starting to think I should mock this up as a Foundry mission in order to illustrate it effectively.)

@greendragoon
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 829
# 14
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. There is almost no one left on the [player ship] and if the away team leader is taken out (which is a great excuse to force you to seek out the EMH) you are literally all that there is.

You're right that once you retake the [player ship] and reestablish contact with the Khitomer, there needs to be a good reason they don't beam over more experienced officers to relieve you. They can't lower shields if they're battling a cube.

I would say that the Khitomer shouldn't be assimilated right away as that just means you have to fight it before you've gone through the space tutorial. If the Khitomer is actively holding off the cube, and the [player ship]'s weapons are damaged, retreat is a prudent action. (And a good way to teach about ship movement.)

(I'm really starting to think I should mock this up as a Foundry mission in order to illustrate it effectively.)
honestly, I am thinking the Foundry idea isn't a bad one. It is just hard for me to visualize this in any concrete way that doesn't either make the Khitomer Captain incompetent or make it just more ridiculous then what we have.

I am not saying the current tutorial is perfect, but you have to admit, it does get the job done of giving you a ship in a believable way. Even the borg being gone can be explained in that the ship is not empty. Everyone else is just an enlisted rank, thus you outrank them.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
# 15
04-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
I am still iffy if the Khitomer even has the authority to make someone a captain of another vessel.
Well Picard was able to do it in Redemption Part 2 when he assigned members of his senior staff to take command of some of the ships that made up the blockade he put together.

Besides it is an emergency situation and until Admiral Quinn makes it permanent your character is just the temporary captain.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,108
# 16
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
honestly, I am thinking the Foundry idea isn't a bad one. It is just hard for me to visualize this in any concrete way that doesn't either make the Khitomer Captain incompetent or make it just more ridiculous then what we have.
You're absolutely right that the devil is in the details and they way it plays out is crucial making it workable. At this point I'm going for the fact that no one intends for you to take command of the [player ship], it a case of once things fall apart after beaming over, you're are the only workable option.

1. You do not start out as leader of the away team.
2. The away team leader is injured in an initial attack. (I'll admit this one is tricky.)
3. Contact with the Khitomer is unavailable due to Borg interference.
4. Contact is not reestablished until you retake the ship.
5. Once you retake the ship, you find the Khitomer locked in battle with a cube.
6. The Captain of the Khitomer orders you to take the [player ship] and retreat.

The idea is that at no time is there an opportunity for the Khitomer to replace you with a more experienced officer.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 04-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 540
# 17
04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
You're absolutely right that the devil is in the details and they way it plays out is crucial making it workable. At this point I'm going for the fact that no one intends for you to take command of the [player ship], it a case of once things fall apart after beaming over, you're are the only workable option.

1. You do not start out as leader of the away team.
2. The away team leader is injured in an initial attack. (I'll admit this one is tricky.)
3. Contact with the Khitomer is unavailable due to Borg interference.
4. Contact is not reestablished until you retake the ship.
5. Once you retake the ship, you find the Khitomer locked in battle with a cube.
6. The Captain of the Khitomer orders you to take the [player ship] and retreat.

The idea is that at no time is there an opportunity for the Khitomer to replace you with a more experienced officer.
2. How about something easy? you beam in last, not finding your party with the main away team (signal was deflected or such..magnetotronic flux designed by the borg to disrupt teleports or such) and as such being told to make your way to regroup at the bridge - then when you get to the bridge, you find your away team leader and the rest of the away team disabled by nanoprobes/dead (mainly as the original crew is getting borged first)

Once the away team is beamed to safety, the Khitomer captain informs you of valuable materials concerning the borgg are on the on the ship and too unstable to transport - hence why the borg are attacking - and tells you to retreat and take the ship back to esd while they hold off the cube
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 319
# 18
04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
These were my detailed suggestions for 'tweaking' (fixing) the current non-sequitur issues with the current Fed tutorial: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=549831
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 278
# 19
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
For me personally, despite how much the suggestions would make the tutorial make more sense, I hope and pray that they do not change the fact that you are sent to the ailing ship alone (as it stands now) to going with an away team! The reason for this is simply because, I am working on a 40+ episode foundry series and I plan to, in some way, shape, or form, incorporate the CURRENT Federation "Khitomer" tutorial!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 147
# 20
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
hmm it would make sense if a senior officer takes command insted of the player...but say that person is too frightended from the whole experience and decides you should take command while they help you through the controls, then have the Kittamer destroyed since we never see her or hear from again really...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58 PM.