Career Officer
# 31
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I decided to go with a backstory for the Reman BOff rather than develop the Romulan I plan to roll. Partially just to keep this entry short, and also because while I know where my Romulan came from, I have no idea where he is now or where he's going. Plus, I have too many characters running around already.

So please enjoy Ash and Dust

starring Viggo Mortensen as K'Jetsk and Edward Norton as Captain Frank Grimes.

Edit: This a direct sequel to my entry for LC 41: Porcelain Hammer. See the full cast list here.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 04-18-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Captain
# 32
04-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Well, like some of the regulars, I wasn't even sure I was going to create a Romulan character - my Fed toons (principally a certain scar-faced Andorian with a massive chip on her shoulder) are almost a full time job already.

But, I had an idea, and I decided to run with it.

If nothing else, it should prove to you guys that I can too write in third person and past tense!
Captain
# 33
04-18-2013, 03:29 AM
First bit of Oar in the water, but I ran out of steam (it's 0330 here and I have to pay bills in the morning), so it's not finished yet. The character doesn't have a 'toon' to represent her, there are probably a host of wrong details, bad canon, etc. etc. and inconsistencies (even from other stories where the ship appeared) that still need work, but then again, when I write the fic, I tend to post it 'cold' as it comes to me, so there you are. Hope it's enjoyable anyway, and I'll try to add more to the post...later. probably in the morning or tomorrow night.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Commander
# 34
04-18-2013, 03:35 AM
@jonsills: Thanks for the compliments and checking my work! I'm afraid I haven't read the Rihannsu novels (and couldn't in the time it would take to make an entry here), but did look up all I could and try to make the best guesses. Glad I didn't make any obvious errors, and that you liked the entry!

@sander233: I don't mind at all! We all borrow from the stories we've heard to make new ones, and if anything, I'm glad if my piece inspires others to explore the sides of Rihannsu culture and society that may not have occurred to them. After all, ST is about 'exploring new civilizations'. Glad you enjoyed the piece!
Commander
# 35
04-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
First bit of Oar in the water, but I ran out of steam (it's 0330 here and I have to pay bills in the morning), so it's not finished yet. The character doesn't have a 'toon' to represent her, there are probably a host of wrong details, bad canon, etc. etc. and inconsistencies (even from other stories where the ship appeared) that still need work, but then again, when I write the fic, I tend to post it 'cold' as it comes to me, so there you are. Hope it's enjoyable anyway, and I'll try to add more to the post...later. probably in the morning or tomorrow night.
I completely understand this. When I write, I tend to want to get it all down as fast as possible after I have the story in my mind, and then try to walk away to re-read it a little later for polishing, but all too often I want it out in print and miss stuff that I have to later edit. Especially true when you wake up with your head on your keyboard to find you've just turned the plotline somehow to Ambassador Spock leading a delegation of Klingons into Candyland to negotiate for a jade statue . That's about the time I realize I need to take some downtime.
Captain
# 36
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
@ danqueller: What an amazing character Absolutely stunning imagery and descriptions ^_^

@ cosmonaut12345: I really like the sound of Othan. Certainly different to the doctors who have been seen to date in Trek, but what a badass!

@ sander233: I always enjoy seeing continuation of entries, so that in itself was a welcome scene, and at least there were no truncheons this time for Grimes ^_^ I'm not a fan of the Remans as a whole (or at least the way they were presented as a Nosferatu-like monster for Nemesis...) but K'Jetsk came across as a really nicely developed character, totally a part of his upbringing and environment

@ patrickngo: I'm really looking forward to your additional work on this entry ^_^

@ shevet: Wow! That was engaging! Darus certainly deserved better than he got, he was a true warrior... I'm sure it will continue to inspire and haunt T'laihhae for a long time to come
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Glad you liked it, Marcus. I very deliberately built Othan as a TNG-era Romulan - sneaky, backstabbing, a little cowardly, kind of racist if you really press him. If Romulus had survived, he'd have spent his life as the sort of guy that your typical Star Trek hero punches in the face at the climax.
Captain
# 38
04-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut12345 View Post
Glad you liked it, Marcus. I very deliberately built Othan as a TNG-era Romulan - sneaky, backstabbing, a little cowardly, kind of racist if you really press him. If Romulus had survived, he'd have spent his life as the sort of guy that your typical Star Trek hero punches in the face at the climax.
Very much so, it was really nicely written, and Othan is a great character I really liked how he turned the tables on the operative assigned to bring him down, he is definitely one to keep an eye on at all times
Captain
# 39
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
@danquellar - Wow! That was impressive. I'm having difficulty crafting mine but your opening line gave me a thought to explore. I hope you don;t mind if I use it (and change it) for my piece?

@cosmonaut12345 - Very well done. I agree that Othan's twists and turns had me riveted. So, in the end, his abilities as a "healer" to threaten without threaten the audience was awesome.

Seriously, where have you two been from previous LCs?! I demand to see more of your work in the future

EDIT:

@sander223 - Yay Grimes! But this was about K'Jetsk and I hope to read more about him as I think the future LCs are going to be focused on Romulans until the release of LoR (much like several LCs were devoted to the Borg). I really like the use of song lyrics to set the stage, so to speak. I still plan on doing the same eventually.

@shevet - NICE reversal there. Man, I love reading your stuff. Although I'm thinking it a little unlikely Romulans would use the word "rubbishing", I guess anything is possible.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 04-18-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Read more, not adding another post
Commander
# 40
04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
@cmdrscarlet: As I said to another poster, I don't mind at all if people use parts of my entries for their own work. The world is what we make it together, so feel free! If anything, I'm honored people think my entries worth using as help for their own pieces. Thanks for the compliments!

As to where I've been in past LCs, I did enter one for the Challenge #26 (Senior Officers) on the ship's bridge crew background, but unfortunately real life has taken alot of my time until recently. Hoping to get back to doing an entry for each future LC, and I'm knocking around the idea of doing a longer series/story, but am having trouble putting the story pieces into context (the story is one I've been putting together for years, and involves the character(s) I run in game, so I don't know if it would be interesting to others or just seem like I'm tooting my own horn rather than telling the story of characters that existed in one form or another before I started STO).

Last edited by danqueller; 04-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.