Survivor of Romulus
# 21
04-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Oh man, why did you have to go on and poke in that topic?

If you want my opinion, no Borg faction of any sort should ever be done. To be honest, without trying to insult anyone, I think the whole idea is dumb. You obviously can't play the collective - there are no indivudials in the collective. That worked in Armada, but then you're the Queen ordering Cubes & Spheres around, not an MMO.

A liberated faction would be even worse for me. I mean, I could swallow the Romulans and the way their faction turned out at the end after what J.J. has done to them with Hobus and the way Cryptic developed the aftermath of that. Many people can't swallow that.
But "peaceful" liberated Borg? The Queen & the collective will hunt down any dissidents and they wont succeed - cause they can't win against a player faction. The collective will turn out to be even bigger joke than the faliure that is Sela. Is this the Borg we came to know from Trek?? I hate the way STO is already making clowns from one of the most formidable Star Trek adversaries. A Borg Cube should be a mega-boss in space combat - requiring teams of 20 to take one down. In STO a Defiant can blow multiple Cubes aparat by itself. If the Borg are playable, their ships will become even bigger joke than the NPC ones. They at least had the 'invisible' torp.
Besides, we already have Liberated Borg in game. Those who are liberated would re-join their species. Why would they make a faction that will ally with Feds. or KDF in their war?

I really never understood people's obsession with being Borg in this game. I never made one, I have no desire to play as a drone or a former drone even.
But, I have patiently waited and still wait for Cardassians. I knew that the KDF had to be finished first. I knew that Romulan faction will be the obvious next choice. And I'm still patient for my preffered faction to come in STO. I'm in no rush, I know that still plenty of time would have to pass before this happens, but the Cardassians are amongst the larger and more influental factions in the Trek universe and we do have a lot of material on them. The state the Cardassian Union is in atm makes a perfect sense to use the same model from the Romulan Republic to implement them as a faction. But if Borg happen to become playable before this, sadly it could be a dealbreaker between me and STO.
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!

Last edited by shpoks; 04-18-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Career Officer
# 22
04-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Again, Borg should always take the last number in line after so many faction/gameplay that needs to be in... Borg are awesome villains with strong powers and a feel of strength, size and 'invincibility' still...

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Oh man, why did you have to go on and poke in that topic?

If you want my opinion, no Borg faction of any sort should ever be done. To be honest, without trying to insult anyone, I think the whole idea is dumb. You obviously can't play the collective - there are no indivudials in the collective. That worked in Armada, but then you're the Queen ordering Cubes & Spheres around, not an MMO.

A liberated faction would be even worse for me. I mean, I could swallow the Romulans and the way their faction turned out at the end after what J.J. has done to them with Hobus and the way Cryptic developed the aftermath of that. Many people can't swallow that.
But "peaceful" liberated Borg? The Queen & the collective will hunt down any dissidents and they wont succeed - cause they can't win against a player faction. The collective will turn out to be even bigger joke than the faliure that is Sela. Is this the Borg we came to know from Trek?? I hate the way STO is already making clowns from one of the most formidable Star Trek adversaries. A Borg Cube should be a mega-boss in space combat - requiring teams of 20 to take one down. In STO a Defiant can blow multiple Cubes aparat by itself. If the Borg are playable, their ships will become even bigger joke than the NPC ones. They at least had the 'invisible' torp.
Besides, we already have Liberated Borg in game. Those who are liberated would re-join their species. Why would they make a faction that will ally with Feds. or KDF in their war?

I really never understood people's obsession with being Borg in this game. I never made one, I have no desire to play as a drone or a former drone even.
But, I have patiently waited and still wait for Cardassians. I knew that the KDF had to be finished first. I knew that Romulan faction will be the obvious next choice. And I'm still patient for my preffered faction to come in STO. I'm in no rush, I know that still plenty of time would have to pass before this happens, but the Cardassians are amongst the larger and more influental factions in the Trek universe and we do have a lot of material on them. The state the Cardassian Union is in atm makes a perfect sense to use the same model from the Romulan Republic to implement them as a faction. But if Borg happen to become playable before this, sadly it could be a dealbreaker between me and STO.
For every person who wants to play Batman there's one who wants to play the Joker. But to me the Borg are for those who like munchkin play, it would be akin to someone playing Galactus in a superhero MMO. And really how fun can it be playing a mindless zombie? And if they're not mindless they're liberated and therefore already a player character.
Commander
# 24
04-18-2013, 06:28 AM
I don't want to witness a scene where borg throws festive party popper balloons. bug in the collective?
Survivor of Romulus
# 25
04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
For every person who wants to play Batman there's one who wants to play the Joker. But to me the Borg are for those who like munchkin play, it would be akin to someone playing Galactus in a superhero MMO. And really how fun can it be playing a mindless zombie? And if they're not mindless they're liberated and therefore already a player character.
That was my point. I realize that, as you said, for every Batman fan there would be a Joker fan, but as far as I can see the direction of STO, Cryptic won't allow the players to be the ultimate evil in game. And I really don't want to see Borg hippies. If people think Romulan hippies are bad enough, try imagining a Borg hippie colony.

If it is about good/evil issue, there are other factions that can be regarded as pretty 'evil' and make more sense to be playable. Dominion comes to me as one atm. You can debate Klingons & Romulans not being evil, just different cultures with different values, but I can't see anything positive about the Founders for ex. They despise all 'solid' lifeforms and belive that they should subjugate or evaporate them. There's one evil faction and though the Founders have the obediance of the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar almost as a form of their drones, they still have enough individuality to think and act for themselves - what would make much more sense for a playable faction rather than mindless drones.

Furthermore the direction STO has taken underlines that all present & future factions would share end-game content. Also Stahl said they've put the stakes for a 2 faction PvP. So, in this form of gameplay design, there is no way to include the Borg unless making a complete mockery of them. With the game design we have they should remain a powerfull and evil NPC force that threatens us all.
Now, if we had the option of 3-way; 4-way PvP etc. and standalone multiple factions that would not be dependant on Fed. vs KDF issues, it might work if enough people sign up for it, because then we as player groups in different factions would be each others adversaries and "evil" enemies. But even then, I'd personally think that it is a dumb idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damix4 View Post
I don't want to witness a scene where borg throws festive party popper balloons. bug in the collective?
That's what I'm thinking. How about tight purple mini-skirts for female drones?
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!
Career Officer
# 26
04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
DStahl himself said that a Borg faction would not be the Collective but a Liberated Borg Faction, like The "Hugh" Borg or the Unimatrix Zero guys from Voyager....
Only Internet users deal in absolutes !
Captain
# 27
04-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I personally feel a Borg faction should not be done, they are so totally different that the uniqueness and flexibility that goes into character creation and identity just couldn't work for them. Unless it was like a group of liberated drones like from Voyager Unimatrix Zero episodes. But still why even bother. If Cryptic wants more factions go with a True Way faction satisfies both Dominion and Cardassian fans and keeps in line with the factions we currently have.

Being from that community and modding it for some 11+ years, I say say it works for an RTS not a MMO like STO. The Borg are a bad idea period and with the Romulans coming I don't think we need another faction and this comes from a Cardassian fan.
I think I would rather have a seperate Cardassian and Dominion factions rather then a True way Faction. Granted, something like the True Way is probably the closest we are getting to a Cardassian Faction, given the current in-game political climate. But I would still want to keep the Dominion side as a seperate faction so I could at least pretend I was in the Militaristic Cardassian Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighandrew12 View Post
Exactly they were still Borg who were all linked together but were not part of the collective. We never knew what happened to those Borg.
Ok, I liberated/unimatrix zero/hugh faction is possible, but I am not sure it would satisfy many of the Borg fans. But that is just something for further discussion. One thing I will say is, it makes the Liberated Borgs that lifers have kind of useless, which I am not sure is a good idea for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
I've said this before:

If a playable Borg faction was made, it'd have to be either representating:

• Hugh's Resistance
  • The Borg Cooperative
  • Unimatrix Zero

Or perhaps a combination of them all. Since a 'true' non-liberated Borg faction would
technically be single player, with the player playing as the Borg Queen at most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
There are no secrets except the secrets that keep themselves.

Last edited by daroska; 04-18-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Captain
# 29
04-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I could see the Borg being playable for only PvP and they would fight Romulans,Klingons and Starfleet and the matches would be something like 5 Borg vs. 10 others.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-18-2013, 04:57 PM
The Borg were created for the various tv series to be the ultimate villains. All they do is assimilate and destroy whole civilizations, they have no other purpose. Part of their inherent evilness is they don't kill you but assimilate you into the collective thereby destroying your free will and individuality, basically everything that makes a person unique to themselves and others. They are Star Trek's version of the zombie, space zombies. No the don't spread their infection through a bite but through nanites and they don't try to kill and eat you but they will destroy your civilization just like any good zombie hord should. This is why they would not make a good player faction.

The other reason is they as well as their ships are too powerful and would imbalance game play. Granted STO's timeline puts the game a couple centuries beyond the TNG, DS9, & Voyager so they Borg aren't nearly as unstoppable as they once were. The problem with assimilating technology rather than developing it is if you don't/can't assimilate tech that's better than your enemies then you fall behind them as they develop past your tech level. Still the Borg can adapt to weapons fire, and it takes several player ships to take down their more formidable vessels.

And if you make them liberated Borg then it kills the lifer reward and once liberated I'm sure these folk are going to be headed home rather hang around other liberated drones. I know as soon as I was liberated I'd be high-tailing it for home where I could get some tail (Provided the Borg didn't whack that part of my anatomy off), a hot meal (Not sure what the Borg eat but I bet its some form of goo), & reconnect with family/friends and the life that was taken away from me.