# 41
04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I have expanded Dr. Othan's story.
Career Officer
# 42
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
@ sander233: I always enjoy seeing continuation of entries, so that in itself was a welcome scene, and at least there were no truncheons this time for Grimes ^_^ I'm not a fan of the Remans as a whole (or at least the way they were presented as a Nosferatu-like monster for Nemesis...) but K'Jetsk came across as a really nicely developed character, totally a part of his upbringing and environment
Yeah, I didn't really like them in Nemesis either. But I loved the way they were developed in The Romulan Mystery FE story arc. Especially in the mission "Frozen" - when you walk around the base and stop and talk to the NPCs, you get a mix of hope, despair and desperation. I tried to write all of those into K'Jetsk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@danquellar -
@cosmonaut12345 -
Seriously, where have you two been from previous LCs?! I demand to see more of your work in the future
Agreed. Seriously.

Quote:
@sander223 - Yay Grimes! But this was about K'Jetsk and I hope to read more about him as I think the future LCs are going to be focused on Romulans until the release of LoR (much like several LCs were devoted to the Borg). I really like the use of song lyrics to set the stage, so to speak. I still plan on doing the same eventually.
I'm not so sure that upcoming LCs will be totally focused on the Romulans. I hope Bran will give us a chance to actually play and develop our characters a little before we're expected to write about their experiences.

At any rate, you will definitely be seeing more of K'Jetsk. He's become in-game Jesu LaRoca's go-to science-medic guy for pretty much all away missions so along with Rusty he'll probably be making an appearance in any future LC that features Jesu and the crew of the Tiburon.

And I yeah, since he seemed to be so popular last time I threw Grimes in there so he could not talk about his past. I'm going somewhere with him, but I'm not entirely sure everyone's going to like it.
Career Officer
# 43
04-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut12345 View Post
I have expanded Dr. Othan's story.
Again, great stuff.

I'm reading through your character studies also and I really like your style.

Edit:

@shevat - That was awesome! Man, what a cruel lesson for T'laihhae to learn about how loyalty and disloyalty are rewarded in the Empire. Also, I love reading stories where the bad guys win. Very well done!

@patrickngo - waiting for the conclusion with baited breath.

Last edited by sander233; 04-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the compliments, folks -

I was not really a fan of the Remans either (what, the Romulan mythos is so boring that we need to add a race of miner-vampires, Nemesis guy?) but I like what they've done with them in the series. I like seeing from their perspective, particularly the ones with family connections to Obisek, as that seems like a plausible guerilla backstory, especially in a Trek context.

(I deliberately did _not_ give Othan much in the way of positive feelings about Remans. He does favor Reman independence, however, and thinks the idea of an independent Reman republic far, far away from him is a great idea)

I like what people are doing with this, and presenting a story as a surveillance log makes sense. That's what Romulan life is all about!
Captain
# 45
04-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I know, I'd said I'd be giving this challenge a miss, but, I figured that if I skipped challenges I didn't like, I wouldn't stretch myself, and inspiration finally hit me today. Not a format I enjoy writing in, but I hope it will be enjoyable...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Bella - Olivia Wilde
Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh gosh, should we cast? Othan is definitely Stephen McHattie in my head. (Like many Romulans of a certain age, he modeled himself as a young man on the heroic Senator Vreenak, whose death helped save Romulus from a Dominion sneak attack <_< )
Captain
# 47
04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Yeah, I didn't really like them in Nemesis either. But I loved the way they were developed in The Romulan Mystery FE story arc. Especially in the mission "Frozen" - when you walk around the base and stop and talk to the NPCs, you get a mix of hope, despair and desperation. I tried to write all of those into K'Jetsk.
One of these days, I might actually get my PC working and be able to play the game
Captain
# 48
04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut12345 View Post
Oh gosh, should we cast? Othan is definitely Stephen McHattie in my head. (Like many Romulans of a certain age, he modeled himself as a young man on the heroic Senator Vreenak, whose death helped save Romulus from a Dominion sneak attack <_< )
It's something I've always done, as I see the action in my mind's eye before I write it... I find it helps me to have an actor in mind, just to convey a particular mannerism or tone to the character I'm writing
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-18-2013, 08:15 PM
I have updated Dr. Othan's story yet again, this time with his thoughts on Spock and his dislike of Chancellor Martok.
Captain
# 50
04-18-2013, 08:22 PM
For what it's worth, my head-canon has combined Diane Duane's ch'Havran (where the less-well-connected Ship families went) with the modern Remans, and decided that ch'Havran was also rich in radioactives, and Remans are what happens when Rihannsu are forced to work in highly-teratogenic conditions for a few thousand years.
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson