Captain
Thanks for the invite. I'll assume, for purposes of inflated self esteem, that I earned it by being generally awesome rather than merely existing on Tribble. *ahem*

* Character generator feels a little clunky now, given that the view to actually see what you're changing seems smaller. And the light isn't very good. I would also really suggest that the "Advanced" buttons be a little more intuitively placed given how absolutely delightful your character generator is to use. This is not sarcasm! Everybody should feel encouraged to tinker.

* The exposition rolls by awfully fast? Can I assume this is simply a matter of Cryptic devs being cyborgs not accustomed to a human reading speed? Or maybe I'm just a challenged reader. Anyway. I lost the second half of several lines because I simply couldn't read fast enough while being distracted by the visuals. If you're going to have visuals and exposition rolling simultaneously, it ought to be a "click to advance" type situation.

* It feels awkward to start off an epic new Star Trek adventure without something going on in space. Instead of telling us about the ship, why not SHOW us. Show us thing landing on the planet, show us people offloading cargo. Your first 30 seconds of presentation has a massive impact on how people feel about the tone of your story, and with the cutscene on the ground talking about stuff that isn't being shown, the general feel is that interesting things are happening...somewhere else.

* The romulan colony: FRICKEN AMAZING. You guys are really mastering your tools. It feels like an extremely "alive" place, where real people might conceivably live and work.

* Yay, I'm level 1. I'm a Civilian. Wait, wasn't I just a security guard? So I got demoted? I guess that makes sense, since I'm shirking my duties as a security guard in order to fiddle with bug guts....

* I like whoever has been writing the dialogue boxes, the responses actually make sense with regards to what will happen next and also provide clear points at which the player can pause and take in the scenery.

* Personally I would rather fight fewer, but smarter, enemies. We kill, what, 6 Tal Shiar ships during the Suliban helix mission? It would make a lot more sense to kill the first one (a scout who calls for help), and then fight off something meaner that shows up as reinforcements.

* So far I'm loving the kind of organic way the crew and ship are growing. Giving us a bridge officer with an actual name and story makes me care about him more than getting a "Human tactical bridge officer candidate". I am hoping that this trend of mission rewards being a logical outcome of the mission story continues.
Ensign
# 2
04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post

* The exposition rolls by awfully fast? Can I assume this is simply a matter of Cryptic devs being cyborgs not accustomed to a human reading speed? Or maybe I'm just a challenged reader. Anyway. I lost the second half of several lines because I simply couldn't read fast enough while being distracted by the visuals. If you're going to have visuals and exposition rolling simultaneously, it ought to be a "click to advance" type situation.
Exactly what I was thinking. The new storyline was great, and the new interaction with the first officer in particular is making the characters feel more Trek and less template. If you write the story for the colony world, though, you might as well give us time to read it . 2-3 seconds more per text slide should be fine.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
04-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I believe this stuff is going to be voice-overed, they just haven't stuck them on yet (or done them, who knows) but either way, it's going to be spoken out loud.
Ensign
# 4
04-18-2013, 10:11 PM
I started this game over a yr and a half ago and the tutorial is alot more self explainitory then it was then hope this is the way its going to be for all factions the ui seems to be just a prettied up version of the former but all in all i like the missions
Republic Veteran
# 5
04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
outside of a few clipping issues with the uniforms, i rather like the new ui. I really enjoyed the starting quests, and how you gain your first few bridge officers. I hope they do the klinks the same way and update the fed. I had the same thought when they did the remastered episodes, i kept hoping they would go back and do the rest of the missions, maybe someday theyll update them all