Rihannsu
# 21
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnlang View Post
The reality is that they broke this early on in year one. They came back to "fix" it, but did a poor job (what we have now). Since they could not get it 100% fixed, they simply moved the design goal posts to turn a bug into an intentional feature.

As I said before, it's either a bug or a poor design choice. To call it anything else is wrong or dishonest.
That being said, your post proves that the devs DO in fact care about it and have been working on it, but it's just not that big of an issue for them to drop everything to fix it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 22
04-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I could be wrong but I think the deeper issue is that enemies tend to despawn if they don't aggro onto you, so they need you to take aggro rather than get the jump on NPCs with a cloak.

It's not a bug that dialogue boxes decloak you.

They put the dialogue boxes there in order to decloak you.
Captain
# 23
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I could be wrong but I think the deeper issue is that enemies tend to despawn if they don't aggro onto you, so they need you to take aggro rather than get the jump on NPCs with a cloak.

Your post deserves to be enshrined in the Hall of Fanboism.
Community Moderator
# 24
04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

I think in some cases forcing a ship to decloak is necessary. You shouldn't be able to interact with external objects while cloaked, for example.

What people don't like is getting a popup from a bridge officer that forces them to decloak when it doesn't make sense. That's one reason why Cryptic came up with those mini-dialog boxes that don't do this.

My big issue is the fact that the Foundry authors don't have access to anything but the regular dialog boxes, so they can't very well control this effect.

I would also like to see a nod to "passive scanning" to gather information without an "interact".
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 25
04-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
DS has answered this question months ago, he says it IS working as intended.

His view is that cloak is SUPPOSED to drop when the players captain has any interaction. I personally think it's a load of BS, but it's his game so I just have to accept it, or play something else.
It's a dumb reason. Cloaks aren't supposed to break because any of my officers on my ship talk to me personally, or even with the ship's internal communications. It's one thing to transmit and receive comms to an outside entity, but internal stuff?

Dumb, just dumb.
Captain
# 26
04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Its probably a programming thing that would require a lot of man-hours (and thus money) to fix, when its just an annoyance that isn't really significant. My guess is that the code is set to automatically decloak a ship whenever it Interacts with something, and to save coding, communications count as an Interaction rather than be a separate category when this game was being rushed into production 3 years ago. If thats the case, then to change that now they would have to go back and change every Communication Event in the game. I can't see that being a good use of development resources.
Career Officer
# 27
04-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I think in some cases forcing a ship to decloak is necessary. You shouldn't be able to interact with external objects while cloaked, for example.

What people don't like is getting a popup from a bridge officer that forces them to decloak when it doesn't make sense. That's one reason why Cryptic came up with those mini-dialog boxes that don't do this.

My big issue is the fact that the Foundry authors don't have access to anything but the regular dialog boxes, so they can't very well control this effect.

I would also like to see a nod to "passive scanning" to gather information without an "interact".
Right.

But as I recall, pop-ups didn't originally force a decloak.

I think this is one of those awkward fixes like how we generally only have a beam up animation when moving from ground to space and always have a beam-up animation when moving from ground to space. Its a general logic condition set based on a typical need.

As a rule, it caused missions to break if they allowed people to move through missions while cloaked. So somebody did a sledgehammer fix and made it so that dialogs always decloaked you and made sure there were dialogs that would decloak people.

It's not unintentional that dialogs decloak people. But they can't change that until they make it so that certain missions don't break if people are cloaked in them.

Dialogs decloaking people is a (frustrating but effective) fix, not a bug. The bug is actually what would happen if dialogs didn't decloak people and until they can address that, they're probably not going to remove the decloaking feature of dialogs.\

I don't get how anyone sees this as a "fanboi" defense of Cryptic. I'm saying their game is rigged together with duct tape... and I'm explaining how I believe the duct tape is arranged.

Being a bug or not being a bug has nothing to do with it being desirable or how things should be.

It's frustrating. Undesirable. And intentional to combat another bug that would result in a lot of places if they allowed cloak to work properly.