Captain
# 61
04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
You can excuse a ship's canon depiction from a single, or very limited appearance if you like, to say a budget.

But again, of all the TNG onwards Non-Starfleet ships, the D'Deridex has appeared the most times (or among the most). In every instance, in and out of combat, whether part of a force / fleet or even as an individual, they have shown limited mobility. If that isn't a trend, I don't know what is.

On a side note, 2 Star Treks game come to mind in the depiction of the D'Deridex. Starfleet Command 3 and Bridge Commander. Their depictions?

Powerful vessel in hull strength, shielding, and upfront weapons loadout. Practically everything to the front with poor aft weapons. The ship was designed to pummel outright whatever was in front coming out of cloak, while still being durable enough for something like an assault on a Starbase or tangling with powerful cruisers. But mobility was a concern; A tradeoff for powerful traits in shielding, hull, forward firepower.

In terms of STO ships, I can easily see this being done without making the ship OP. Again, I'm not in the beta test, but it's just something I'm putting out.

Last edited by warmaker001b; 04-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 62
04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Speed can be justified if the ship can actually fire back. No point being a huge lumbering target if you cant adequately defend yourself. Which in this case the D'D retro can't
Rihannsu
# 63
04-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
You can excuse a ship's canon depiction from a single, or very limited appearance if you like, to say a budget.

But again, of all the TNG onwards Non-Starfleet ships, the D'Deridex has appeared the most times (or among the most). In every instance, in and out of combat, whether part of a force / fleet or even as an individual, they have shown limited mobility. If that isn't a trend, I don't know what is.
Im not trying to excuse it-Its my favourite race and ship in Star trek-but i'm not pointing this out to shoot down detractors

I just see a lot over the top conclusions on the warbird's capabilities beyound its "slow" -I agree with you -it should be "Ponderous" it conveys its size -which the show never really conveyed sadly.
Captain
# 64
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandersalvek View Post
I hate to break the "Immersion" But the fact that the Warbirds in the Tal Shiar Fleet just stood still has a lot to do with FX and Budget as its supposed "lumbering" speed
If we're opening that door, then the only reason that Galaxy class ships and Excelsior class ships even showed up on screen in the Dominion War was because of FX budgets.

So we can knock the Excelsior back down to a T3 ship only due to age and the fact that if the show had more budget some other, newer, better ship would have been on screen!

Oh wait ...
Captain
# 65
04-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Well the saving grace of the D'Deridex may be the battle cloak. If I remember correctly, the bop's battle cloak increases turn rate, so if romulan ships also get a buff to turn rate from batttle cloak, their poor maneuverability while decloaked may be somewhat offset once they cloak, which would truly emphasize their cloaking tendencies and the need to use it strategically in combat.

Though I must admit I would be disappointed by three engineering ensign slots... I'd probably much prefer that ensign be universal so one could have one extra science ability or better afford the mandatory tac team and still have two tactical attack abilities. But since they are reworking emergency power abilities, they may rework other abilities too so that being so engineering heavy may not be such a gimping, or perhaps they'll modify the team abilities so that tac team isn't the gold standard for defense anymore. If that's the case, the ship might be just fine... we'll have to see.
Captain
# 66
04-20-2013, 12:46 AM
I think the Lt.Com Eng. Boff should be a universal slot on the Store DD. Would at least change my stance from "urgh, why?" to "instabuy".

Are the Stats of the Fleet DD already known? Should I start cracking whips on my fleet?
Empire Veteran
# 67
04-20-2013, 12:54 AM
-leans back in chair, shadows falling of his face while he steeples fingers- Good, gooood. Give in to your hatred.
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
04-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Well according to this post, the base turn rate is 5.5. Personally I'd have liked to have seen something more like this for the D'deridex-class, since positional combat seemed much more in line with how we saw the ship in its early appearances:

Quote:
D'Deridex Warbird Battle Cruiser Retrofit
Weapons: 5/3
Shield Mod: 0.8
Base Hull: 36,500
Base Crew: 1500
Base Turn: 5.5
Device Slots: 4
Consoles: 4 Eng, 3 Tac, 2 Sci
Bridge Officers: Lt. Tac, Ens. Tac., Cmdr. Eng., Lt. Cmdr. Eng., Lt. Sci.
We could knock the turn rate down to just 5, if the forward power of the ship is deemed too much.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 04-20-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Captain
# 69
04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathofachilles View Post
Well the saving grace of the D'Deridex may be the battle cloak.
The saving grace is probably going to be the singularity core, or at least the designers of the ship would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
-leans back in chair, shadows falling of his face while he steeples fingers- Good, gooood. Give in to your hatred.
Shouldn't you be quelling the rise of the Hutt Cartel?
Captain
# 70
04-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The saving grace is probably going to be the singularity core, or at least the designers of the ship would hope so.
I meant the saving grace for the crap turn rate if it gives a boost to turn rate when battle cloaked.