Captain
# 1 Crystalline Entity - Too hard
04-20-2013, 05:21 AM
I have been noticing that while the Tholians got quite strong shields, their attacks are also weak so its balanced out. They annoy you with weapons offline shots.

The Crystalline entity has now a nice beam damage, but it also loves to destroy your projectiles... could it get a prefernce for attacking players, not tricobalt devices?

But the one thing that makes it too hard is the Large Crystal fragment spam.

These hard to see, hard to target things fly at your ship too fast, and they are very hard to take down, especially if they swarm you. They also deal a ludicrous amount of damage that completely ignores shields.

This is the problem. I don't mind powerful elite tholians, or the Entity hitting hard. But these shards are annoying, hard to see, too hard to bring down.

I noticed they go for the highest damage dealer.. I think.
Which encourages me to just let my weapons autofire without using an enhancements, and watch youtube while the fight is in progress.
I'll have a better survival rate with that than actually doing my best to deal a lot of damage to the entity and have 6 large shards chase me.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.

Last edited by tpalelena; 04-20-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Ensign
# 2
04-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Try out running them, they are increadibly easy to avoid all together. I had what looked like 10 of the buggers following me around the Entity for most of the match. A round of Fire at Will thinned the crowd a little while the Entity was absorbing energy.
Captain
# 3
04-20-2013, 05:53 AM
The problem is, they are hard to spot. If they come from the entity, they are totally invisible.

Also, they can not be click targeted, you have to cycle tab to get them.

Just let their attacks drain shields first like every other attack.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.

Last edited by tpalelena; 04-20-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Career Officer
# 4
04-20-2013, 06:03 AM
While I certainly wouldn't say its too hard. I do think there are bugs that are adding to its difficulty.

I think as of the last update, the shards can't be clicked on when coming towards you, I've definitely found that to be the case in the last couple of runs. With everything going on, they're virtually impossible to spot, especially when something seems to be a bit funny with the targetting, the brackets don't seem to be coming on until about ~0.4km.

Despite this, its not 'too hard'.
Republic Veteran
# 5
04-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
But the one thing that makes it too hard is the Large Crystal fragment spam.

These hard to see, hard to target things fly at your ship too fast, and they are very hard to take down, especially if they swarm you. They also deal a ludicrous amount of damage that completely ignores shields.
They are larger than most starships and easy to see, they also aren't a danger at 9-10km range, they are however deadly if you go up close to the entity.

Bunch up with other players at the same vector and you'll have an easier time surviving and shooting down incoming shards, whether they are gunning for you or someone else.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2013, 06:20 AM
If you have a pair of torp: spread IIIs, and good quantum torpedoes, the shards really stop being a threat... because they don't really exist anymore. Torp spreads are also *the* optimal ability for annihilating swarms of tiny annoying Tholian ships.
Captain
# 7
04-20-2013, 06:33 AM
When they are coming from the entity, they are not easy to spot. At 9km range they are easy to spot, but that also hampers your weapon efficiency greatly.

And yes, Torp spread, scatter volley, and fire at will are your friends here.

Also, I love to see gravity wells.

These things also speed tank a lot. All you'll see is "miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss." The only sureway to get rid of them is gravity well.
Or alpha strike, spread and scatter, and hope for the best.

Last edited by tpalelena; 04-20-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Captain
# 8
04-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
Also, I love to see gravity wells.
Until they change the CE again, gravity well is really one of the keys to victory in the encounter.
Captain
# 9
04-20-2013, 09:03 AM
They should get rid of the Tholians in CE they are just annoying little bugs that fly around.

The thing that ticks me off the most about the Tholians is that there proc rate is way too high to knock some thing off line like weapons.

Even are proc rates ant that high.

The CE is easy.

Last edited by xcom43; 04-20-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Captain
# 10
04-20-2013, 09:09 AM
I like it, it's more challenging.

Mirror NX, you know you want it