Career Officer
# 91
04-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut12345 View Post
I have updated Dr. Othan's story again, this time with his memories of being pressed into service against the Undine, and how it must have been the unlucky Undine who were forced to impersonate Romulans...

(Hey, I wonder what Divide et Impera will look like from 'our' perspective...)

Edited to add: I really hope I'm not making this guy too bad-ass! He's a veteran, sure, but he's no fighter and hasn't actually been face-to-face in a lot of battles. I may be emphasizing the pretty deep-ingrained Romulan arrogance to play up his many character flaws.
Too badass? I don't believe that's possible. Sure a character can stretch the bounds of plausibility with various feats of derring-do, but hey, it's fiction.

I love arrogant characters, especially ones who actually can see their flaws and either don't care or choose to view them as personal strengths. To that end, your Dr. Othan is endlessly fascinating.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 92
04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
@ ryan218 - I think this is the first one of your entries that I have read. Great job! I've also thought of Thalaron weapons being used by others. They must be so tempting...
I had the Adigeon's messing about with Thalaron research in the 2330s in a previous entry. I'm sure there are several powers that want to use the technology, and I certainly wouldn't put it beyond Section 31 to have them...

Quote:
that was a unique way to introduce your officer, and I liked it.
Thanks I knew I couldn't introduce her to my regular line up, or it really would turn into a, to quote Q, a 'ship of the valkyries', and that was the idea which came to me for a standalone character
Lt. Commander
# 93
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I have edited Dr. Othan's story again, this time with his thoughts on the Reunificationists.

(Does he like them? No, he does not. He tends to think of them as a bunch of Vulcan hippies, and thinks the government should boot them out if they love Surak so much.)

Last edited by cosmonaut12345; 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Ensign
# 94 Sarik's Daily Logs
04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Be sure to read Sarik's logs and more will be revealed later on today what will happen to him and the crew of the Valtor....
Captain
# 95
04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Right, sorry for my lack of activity, ladies and gents. A combination of (1) being busy writing a very important plot-point for Arkos and crew, (2) not having any ideas for a potential Romulan character, since, like everyone else, I'd rather see the character creation system/intro mission first, and (3) my week being slightly busy, have all contributed to me being absent from this thread.

That said, I have had the opportunity to read some of the stories here, so:

marcusdkane: Very interesting choice of setting! Admittedly, I hadn't considered the possibility of Romulans now being in Starfleet (which does make sense for a lot of the Rihassu refugees), but this does fit the challenge description in many ways. Plus, it was a nice little scene, and the chemistry between the Romulan woman and her tattooist was quite nice.

superhombre777: You wrote the Tal Shiar the way I had always imagined them-- as the clever, all-knowing intelligence agency that they are instead of as the buffoonish cartoon villains that STO turned them into. Well done!

patrickngo: Nice to see that you wrote a follow-up to Orrorsh (and that you wrote a story connected to the most awesome character from Orrorsh, no less). I'm eager to see more about Sa'ana in the future, especially now that you've left open the question of who her actual Romulan parents are...

awesometiflic: I loved it! Not only was the dialogue well written, but I think your story established the position of the Romulan Republic perfectly: desiring assistance from both the Federation and the Empire, but wanting subservience to neither. I also appreciate that you wrote Gell as disagreeing with D'Tan's principles: realistically, I don't think a majority of Romulans would appreciate reunification with the Vulcans either. They have been a seperate, distinct culture for ages, and they wouldn't ant to give that up overnight.

shevet: Another great entry! The action and dialogue were both great, and I appreciated the twist at the end. The whole time, I thought the dashing, heroic protagonist would make it.

sander: Nice to see a story from the Reman perspective! I am, admittedly, a little surprised that you made Kjetsk a relative of Obisek, but for story purposes it worked. And I guess its fitting that Kjetsk is telling this story to the only other person on the Tiburon with a past as tragic as his.

After reading those entries, I now have a few ideas revolving in my head. Hopefully, I'll be able to post something soonish.
Lt. Commander
# 96
04-22-2013, 09:13 PM
@ awesometific - that was a good first entry. I liked the news show idea. You have a few typos and an awkward sentence (below), but overall I was satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometific View Post
D'Tan and I will add, myself, believe now is the time for the Romulan people to demonstrate the full meaning of what it is to be Romulan."
@ stellardrift - I liked the romance backstory. It will be interesting to see how a Romulan woman fell in love with a human from an inter-species aspect. I'm totally fine with you having a lesbian character. Have I mentioned that T'Prynn from the Vanguard novel series is one of my favorite characters?

I recommend rewording this sentence though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellardrift View Post
The Ynala Hvalli she knew of old had been so kind and gracious on Romulus had never been so tormented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
superhombre777: You wrote the Tal Shiar the way I had always imagined them-- as the clever, all-knowing intelligence agency that they are instead of as the buffoonish cartoon villains that STO turned them into. Well done!
Thanks, but who said the Tal Shiar was in my story? That could have been the Breen for all we know...I have a new tendency to write ridiculous entries without fully planning out how things will unfold later. This is a perfect example.

Reviews on other people's work are forthcoming. At this pace I'll finish at the deadline...
Career Officer
# 97
04-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Reviews on other people's work are forthcoming. At this pace I'll finish at the deadline...
I kept mine short for you.

Captain
# 98
04-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Right, sorry for my lack of activity, ladies and gents. A combination of (1) being busy writing a very important plot-point for Arkos and crew, (2) not having any ideas for a potential Romulan character, since, like everyone else, I'd rather see the character creation system/intro mission first, and (3) my week being slightly busy, have all contributed to me being absent from this thread.
I really enjoyed Aphasia, can't wait to see the continuation

Quote:
Very interesting choice of setting! Admittedly, I hadn't considered the possibility of Romulans now being in Starfleet (which does make sense for a lot of the Rihassu refugees), but this does fit the challenge description in many ways. Plus, it was a nice little scene, and the chemistry between the Romulan woman and her tattooist was quite nice.
Thanks, I wanted to try and keep Ael as a standalone character, and this seemed the easiest way to do it I remembered that some others had written Romulan officers into their crews as part of an exchange program, so I figured that there may have been a handful of Romuan refugees serving in Starfleet I might write a peice about Ael's time at the Academy, just a case of waiting for the inspiration to hit me
Captain
# 99
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:

patrickngo: Nice to see that you wrote a follow-up to Orrorsh (and that you wrote a story connected to the most awesome character from Orrorsh, no less). I'm eager to see more about Sa'ana in the future, especially now that you've left open the question of who her actual Romulan parents are...
The Sa'ana story's definitely gotten the best feedback so far, and I'd LOVE to keep writing her-I just don't know where to go from here with her-for instance, I honestly don't know who her biological parents were, or who she might've become if Hobus hadn't exploded, beyond a suspicion her biological father was probably an official or activist of some sort who dealt with/against/on behalf of the Reman minority-and probably a minor official if he was an official at that. I imagine he was something like a Romulan version of Vir from Babylon 5...

The really sick part is, Orrorsh is kind of turning into the 'hinge' for the story ideas I've been messing with so far. I guess that's what happens when you write the death of a player-character. (Pops Montoya is one of my PC's, so are K'Tirr, Uminoe, D'Moj, and-from another sequel, Eialu and Eighty Six.) I guess Sa'ana might become a PC after the May update, but by nature I'm a Klink player more than a Fed.

But I'm still stuck-after re reading what I wrote, Sa'ana's got the whole "Child of destiny" vibe-only I can't think of a destiny for her to HAVE. Maybe she's destined to open a chain of restaurants serving Epohh-burgers and fries? Not sure if the Republic is ready for "Do you want Fries with that?" but then, I have a hard time doing comedy, and with all the 'badstuff' in most of my stories, it's a defect not to be able to create a lighter-hearted situation, so probably not.

We'll see if the next challenge is also Romulan themed, maybe I can use it to springboard more life into the character and start working toward answering some of her mysteries...
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Why do I play KDF? It's like playing Paranoia, but with starships.
Career Officer
# 100
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
sander: Nice to see a story from the Reman perspective! I am, admittedly, a little surprised that you made Kjetsk a relative of Obisek, but for story purposes it worked. And I guess its fitting that Kjetsk is telling this story to the only other person on the Tiburon with a past as tragic as his.
Well, not quite.

First off, Grimes doesn't technically serve on the Tib; he works for Starfleet Tactical Systems (the folks who make all of Jesu's toys) and his past is more dark than tragic.

Second, I'd argue that between the death of his mother at the age of four and the "friendly fire" incident I alluded to earlier (hint hint, Bran) Jesu's got a pretty tragic past of his own, accounting for his warped personality.

And then, I haven't got to it yet but thanks to an officer exchange (ahem, Bran) Sway the Gorn now serves on the Tiburon as well and as you will shortly see his backstory is a horror show. (I'm adding pieces to LC 40 to fill in some of Ssharki and co.'s blanks with past LCs I wasn't around for - Sway will be featured in my entry for "Academy Days.")