Lieutenant
# 1 How is Data not dead?
04-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Unless I just missed something I saw a blurb about Data being captain of the Enterprise? How is this possible since Data died in Nemisis? There was no positronic safe deposit box or other viable download available before his death. It was clear that the other android was not Data nor did it possess his memories. So how does this get explained?
Career Officer
# 2
04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
B-4 is indeed the 'positronic bank'. The information is in there but he simply couldn't understand it immediately. Imagine opening a book of complex mathematics far beyond your current proficiency. Where to begin? We see by the end of Nemesis, as Picard is trying to explain to him, that B-4 is partially, subconsciously even, humming the song that Data had been practicing for Riker and Troi's wedding (at the start of the film).

Data is in there under the surface. I think there is also written material in novels etc that take the story further, along the lines of Data coming back, or at least, B-4 being in full possession of Data's memories and unique behavior.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 3
04-21-2013, 02:00 PM
B4 gets Data's memories in Nemesis. Over time Geordi is able to fully integrate Data's brain/memories into B4's body. Data's commission is reactivated in Starfleet and he becomes the Captain of the Enterprise E.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Community Moderator
# 4
04-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
B-4 is indeed the 'positronic bank'. The information is in there but he simply couldn't understand it immediately. Imagine opening a book of complex mathematics far beyond your current proficiency. Where to begin? We see by the end of Nemesis, as Picard is trying to explain to him, that B-4 is partially, subconsciously even, humming the song that Data had been practicing for Riker and Troi's wedding (at the start of the film).

Data is in there under the surface. I think there is also written material in novels etc that take the story further, along the lines of Data coming back, or at least, B-4 being in full possession of Data's memories and unique behavior.
Its in the Path to 2409 book and Star Trek: Countdown comic.

They unlocked the "data matrix" in B-4 in which basically wiped out B-4 and made him Data. After a bit of testing, he was given the rank of Captain and issued command of the USS Enterprise E.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me on Twitter or G+
Career Officer
# 5
04-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
Its in the Path to 2409 book and Star Trek: Countdown comic.

They unlocked the "data matrix" in B-4 in which basically wiped out B-4 and made him Data. After a bit of testing, he was given the rank of Captain and issued command of the USS Enterprise E.
Data's "resurrection" also takes up a whole chapter of the STO tie-in novel The Needs of the Many.
Captain
# 6
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Yea, the who Data in B-4's body just rubbed me all the wrong way. The "He changed the program to delete himself" explanation to be a cheap cop out. The whole "It's not murder, it was suicide" argument is dubious at best. For anther point, it would be entirely foolish to activate the Data Matrix without first having a separate place to contain it. If the Soong Insitutue was not able to create a replacement body first, what was the point of bringing back Data in the first place? Again, I think back to the bad ethics in the episode "Similtude".

The Reviewer on Ex Astris Scientia makes a very good point on the treatment of "Sim":
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/episodes/ent3.htm

Thankfully, I choose too pick and choose what in the novels is hard cannon, and what is not.
My proposal for an alternate explanation:

Data's parts were not vaporized by the destruction of the Scimitar. They survived (as they have in previous situations) and were simply scattered to the four solar winds (or six as the case may be). One of the first androids or gynoids that achieved sentience made it his/her mission to recover the missing components (much like Skelly from Chrono Cross).
The positronic chips that comprised Data's brain were severely overloaded by the result of the explosion, requiring their replacement. The Data Matrix copied over from B-4 would serve as the final recovered part, sort of like a bone marrow transplant.

Another option story option is as follows:

B-4's positrionic brain simply does not have the physical capacity to contain Data's personality (as was stated in Nemesis). After it was activated, Data quickly had his personality transferred into a temporary storage device (Think Brain in a Jar). Data interacted with the Insitute's staff through a temporary interface until his new body was completed.

Last edited by davidwford; 04-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Whereas the original B-4 was technically lost upon deletion, prior to this a backup of his matrix had been made by the Soong Foundation, who are currently working to try and recreate B-4's conciousness from the stored data (that's data in the traditional sense as opposed to the character Data).
Community Moderator
# 8
04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Data's "resurrection" also takes up a whole chapter of the STO tie-in novel The Needs of the Many.
hehe that's what i meant actually forgot it's actually called needs of the many >.>
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me on Twitter or G+
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
04-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Its a machine
it was never alive in the first place

There is no reason we could not replicate 40,000,000,000 datas and set them on the borg
Career Officer
# 10
04-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Its a machine
And you aren't?
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports