Career Officer
# 331
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
I know that in Canon, these ships are large but I am finding that particularly in sector space they are very difficult to maneuver around other players and their ships.
Sector Space turn rate is independent of ship class, and is inversely proportional to how fast you are going.
Lt. Commander
# 332 Romulan ships are lame
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
So, last week we saw the release of romulan Dev blog 9:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

and did anyone else think that the romulan shipyard is lame? at launch, there will only be 11 romulan ships that can be acquired without a C-Store purchase. Thats 1 ship per tier, 5 fleet ships, and a small craft. Now I really don't feel like spending $114 to get an extra ship choice per level. And before you ask, I do understand that as a romulan, you will be able to use either KDF or Fed ships, but only up to tier 4, and yes I do know that the klingons only had a limited number of ships at launch, but this is just a lack of effort...

If you look back a few years to Star Trek: Legacy (and yes I realize cryptic didnt make Legacy...), the Romulan faction had easily 20 ships.

Cryptic needs to put more effort into this if they want to make the Romulans a formidable faction. I have a feeling that the Romulans are going to become the new KDF where everyone complains that Feds and KDF get all the good stuff.
Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
Career Officer
# 333
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajma420 View Post
So, last week we saw the release of romulan Dev blog 9:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

and did anyone else think that the romulan shipyard is lame? at launch, there will only be 11 romulan ships that can be acquired without a C-Store purchase. Thats 1 ship per tier, 5 fleet ships, and a small craft. Now I really don't feel like spending $114 to get an extra ship choice per level. And before you ask, I do understand that as a romulan, you will be able to use either KDF or Fed ships, but only up to tier 4, and yes I do know that the klingons only had a limited number of ships at launch, but this is just a lack of effort...

If you look back a few years to Star Trek: Legacy (and yes I realize cryptic didnt make Legacy...), the Romulan faction had easily 20 ships.

Cryptic needs to put more effort into this if they want to make the Romulans a formidable faction. I have a feeling that the Romulans are going to become the new KDF where everyone complains that Feds and KDF get all the good stuff.
Go play them first. They're insanely fun and MIRACULOUSLY versatile. I LOVE my Mogai. You don't know power until you've flown a Warbird.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Captain
# 334
04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
Go play them first. They're insanely fun and MIRACULOUSLY versatile. I LOVE my Mogai. You don't know power until you've flown a Warbird.
Heh, my Mogai can take down a TOS constitution fitted with T5 gear OR a pretty decent Dhelan captain without too much modification.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Rihannsu
# 335
04-22-2013, 02:38 PM
lol that should be their motto

"You don't know power until your flown a warbird"

TBH in canon terms Romulans never had that many different ship designs. The only ships i seen on the shows Were The Warbird and the scout class vessal, maybe a shuttle in an episode or two. Starfleet always had the majority of different ship designs
Captain
# 336
Tears are flowing about lack of content before the content is even released. Why am I not surprised?
Career Officer
# 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
I think I'm getting a little too far off-topic here...
Fair enough.

To get back on topic, my question is what do you want these singularity powers to accomplish at the lower levels?

I'm currently L16 on my Romulan and here's my feeling so far.

1 to 10:

Plasma shockwave was almost never ready early on, NPCs were too weak to make use of it (they'd die first, or be almost dead).

When I did use it, if it didn't hit bare hull it seemed too weak to notice.

1 to 16:

Now I have a special heal, tbh I haven't even looked at it, because I haven't needed it either.

I understand that it's a bit of a conundrum, low level players have few abilities and low power levels, weak weapons, etc., so content can't be too demanding.

On the other hand most PvE content in this game is so weak and watered down, does not require any kind of a coherent build and along that train of logic these special powers are bordering on overkill (at the early levels).

Sidenote: This touches on why the PvP community generally holds its collective breath when new 'special' mechanics are added. They often have low, or non-existent impact on PvE yet conversely can have dramatic and potentially very negative balance implications in PvP.

Career Officer
# 338
04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Um, have you even played with the ships yet? I can tell you IMHO that the first three I've flown so far are friggin awesome!

Joined August 2009
Republic Veteran
# 339
04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I agree, the Singularity powers tied to the ships are fun to use as is cloaking while in battle. The Romulan ships are extremely far from being lame.
Captain
# 340
04-22-2013, 02:47 PM
The OP is disgruntled to learn that the Roms only start with 1 free ship per Tier. I understand that sentiment, but the Roms are a micro-faction test bed. The Rom ships are very cool, and more versatile then Fed or KDF ships - the Singularity Cores are nice.

Plus STO has changed a lot over the years. The goal of STO now is to get players at end-game as quickly as possible. Thus there's not a lot of need to have many ship choices at each Tier now. You can go from 1 to 50 in less then 20 /played hour now due to the amount of XP you earn while playing.

More ship choices per Tier aren't going to make the leveling experience that much more enjoyable, primarily because Warbirds are more unique and because you're not going to be in any particular ship all that long. Just look at the playtest. There are people at level 20 just from the first couple of days of playing.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.