Career Officer
# 11
04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
when i saw a trailer a few months back, i noticed the weapons in some of these officers hands are not phaser based but projectile based... we in the future or the past? granted there was one use of projectile based weapons used in the federation with transporter technology involved, but even that was abandoned.

ricorosebud, i will not lighten up, abrams has destroyed trek and that is the end of it as far as i am concerned. the first reboot was completely over the top and hardly any substance to the film beyond the cgi effects which was probably the only thing going for it..
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Commander
# 12
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
when i saw a trailer a few months back, i noticed the weapons in some of these officers hands are not phaser based but projectile based... we in the future or the past? granted there was one use of projectile based weapons used in the federation with transporter technology involved, but even that was abandoned.

ricorosebud, i will not lighten up, abrams has destroyed trek and that is the end of it as far as i am concerned.the first reboot was completely over the top and hardly any substance to the film beyond the cgi effects which was probably the only thing going for it..
I wasn't addressing you personally, but you seem to have taken it personally. Which says something. But you don't need to call me out.

Bolded the important part there for ya.

Will pitching a fit on the STO forums make the movie go away? I highly doubt anyone involved with the film is reading anything here. You want the forumites to know you are displeased? I think we got ya. Mission accomplished.

I've stated this before: I personally think Voyage Home and Nemesis 'destroyed Trek' or 'were not Trek' but what can you do? They still exist. I do not however tell people who enjoy them that their opinion is wrong, insult them, or question their loyalty to the franchise just because they like something I don't. Yeah, you and those like the people I just described DO need to chill.

"the end of it as far as i am concerned" ? I sincerely hope so!

Last edited by ricorosebud; 04-22-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 13
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorosebud View Post
I've stated this before: I personally think Voyage Home and Nemesis 'destroyed Trek' or 'were not Trek' but what can you do? They still exist. I do not however tell people who enjoy them that their opinion is wrong, insult them, or question their loyalty to the franchise just because they like something I don't. Yeah, you and those like the people I just described DO need to chill.
Yeah, it says a lot when 'true' Star Trek fans don't even give this new reality a chance

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations? This reality is one of many that can co-exist.

To seek out new life and new civilizations? If this clip is any indication, that's exactly what they're doing, and it includes the prime directive.

Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
# 14
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorosebud View Post
I've stated this before: I personally think Voyage Home and Nemesis 'destroyed Trek' or 'were not Trek' but what can you do? They still exist.
I will politely disagree with you on the topic of The Voyage Home (the "Save the Whales Episode," as I often call it) - I felt that it played out like a feature-length version of a TOS episode, save that Shatner no longer required his character to have all the good dialog. (That was a bit of an issue on the TOS set...)

Nemesis, though, lost me right at the beginning, with Action!Hero!Picard! driving a jeep through the desert, Worf firing a pintel-mounted phaser rifle at locals mounted on horses, as though the Prime Directive didn't exist and they didn't have gravity-control technology - well, up until they had to do the dramatic charge off the (cliff? hill? I can't be arsed to remember) into the open hatch on the back of a shuttlecraft - all in pursuit of some abandoned Soong android technology that had no reason to be on the world it was on, and which they could have quietly beamed down to and acquired at night, while the local Bedouin-standins were asleep.

My roommate, whose tolerance is higher than mine, tells me about the specs they gave for the Scimitar, and I wonder why the ship didn't just eat Starfleet for breakfast - the damned thing had enough disruptor banks and torpedo bays to stop a Unimatrix.

That, if you like, wasn't Trek. That's part of why there were no more movies set in the main timeline - it was undergoing Michael Bay Syndrome. Rebooting it was the only way to save the universe. (At least, that's what we were taught in VOY, that the Reset Button solves everything...)

The 2009 movie, though, felt more like Star Trek to me than anything that's hit the cinemas since The Undiscovered Country, at least. Pine, Quinto, and Urban looked and felt like the Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley that I remembered from my youth. Of course this Kirk is even more brash and arrogant than Kirk Prime - he never served as a lieutenant on the Farragut, and never spent years blaming himself for not shooting in time at the thing that ate his crewmates. He's never experienced failure the way Kirk Prime did. I think that's part of the theme of Into Darkness, at least if the trailers are anything to go by - NewKirk has to face his own inadequacies the way young Lt. Kirk did. Hopefully, this time it won't cost the lives of almost 400 shipmates...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts