Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,637
# 351
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
is there going to be a dedicated sci focused ship in the middle and high tiers? or we don't know yet?
There was this note...

**The Ha?apax Advanced Warbird Refit is a version of the Ha?apax that uses Bridge Officer Seating with a Science focus.

...about the Fleet Ha'apax Advanced Warbird Refit in this blog: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

That requires a T5 shipyard though.

I'm curious to see what some of the BOFF layout changes are going to involve for the various refits/retrofits of the different ships.

Some of the changes to Sci ability arcs in the recent Tribble notes would fit in with some of the slower turning birds we're looking at though...so perhaps that's coming down the line.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 708
# 352
04-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
There was this note...

**The Ha?apax Advanced Warbird Refit is a version of the Ha?apax that uses Bridge Officer Seating with a Science focus.

...about the Fleet Ha'apax Advanced Warbird Refit in this blog: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

That requires a T5 shipyard though.

I'm curious to see what some of the BOFF layout changes are going to involve for the various refits/retrofits of the different ships.

Some of the changes to Sci ability arcs in the recent Tribble notes would fit in with some of the slower turning birds we're looking at though...so perhaps that's coming down the line.
ty much, but doesent that seem a little lop sided virus?? that t5 is the only way to get a sci focused ship? I mena some folks aren't in a fleet im thinking about them
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 29
# 353
04-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Noticed the same as the first post that there is not really an explanation of the singularity mechanic at all.
Just the icon that ramps up to five and then you can fire off an ability from it.
But no idea if not firing it benefits you in any way at all.

I like the graphics on the starter ship and am really having a fun time flying it.
But seems to me that I am beating some "heavier" looking ships that I realistically shouldn't be (of course that is prob true of all the factions.)
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,637
# 354
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
ty much, but doesent that seem a little lop sided virus?? that t5 is the only way to get a sci focused ship? I mena some folks aren't in a fleet im thinking about them
Massively lopsided imho...

I was planning on rolling two Sci. At this point, I'm seeing either Tac or Eng. I'm hoping that the widening arcs is suggesting that we'll see more as they release more.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,637
# 355
04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor63549 View Post
As for singularity core, I still think the cooldown on the charge should scale based on what rank of ability you fire off, and you should be able to fire off weaker versions to retain a partial charge. That could possibly mitigate some of the issues we have currently.
This was actually from today's notes - but I wanted to reply to it in this thread.

It is something I was wondering about to an extent, in regard to the cooldown. Whether there would be a way to reduce the CD if using a lower rank of the ability without turning it into something where folks just spam the lowest tier over and over. Perhaps even if it meant raising the CD at a higher level, eh?

R1 30s
R2 45s
R3 60s
R4 75s
R5 90s

I don't know - still thinking more about how those BOFF layouts are going to play out.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
# 356
04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
This was actually from today's notes - but I wanted to reply to it in this thread.

It is something I was wondering about to an extent, in regard to the cooldown. Whether there would be a way to reduce the CD if using a lower rank of the ability without turning it into something where folks just spam the lowest tier over and over. Perhaps even if it meant raising the CD at a higher level, eh?

R1 30s
R2 45s
R3 60s
R4 75s
R5 90s

I don't know - still thinking more about how those BOFF layouts are going to play out.
Not disagreeing with this, but if this is the case, then I think they would have to allow the Singularity to begin recharging whilst in cooldown, as it can take several seconds until it builds up a charge up to level 5. If you increase the cooldowns too far without taking that into account, not only does it add to the penalty of decreased power levels, but your most useful benefit from it is largely unusable. When many of the games best skills only have a 30-45 second timer, I'm not sure this favors balance.
13th Autonomous Battle Group
FED | Xenovi Thor |Zenovi Thor | Fourty-Thor | Seventy-Thor
KDF |Arbiter |Brayen | Thirty-Thor
RRF | Novarren
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 635
# 357
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
How long does it take to reach full charge with the new change where it charges by itself independent of weapons?

Before it could take anywhere from 30 to 120 seconds depending on your weapons loadout (as it was based on firing weapons more = faster and cannons also charged faster than beams).


I think 90s second is a bit steep as well, maybe the cooldown duration should increase by 10 seconds each level rather than 15, thent he times are 30 seconds to 70 seconds based on level.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,637
# 358
04-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenovi View Post
Not disagreeing with this, but if this is the case, then I think they would have to allow the Singularity to begin recharging whilst in cooldown, as it can take several seconds until it builds up a charge up to level 5. If you increase the cooldowns too far without taking that into account, not only does it add to the penalty of decreased power levels, but your most useful benefit from it is largely unusable. When many of the games best skills only have a 30-45 second timer, I'm not sure this favors balance.
Well, it was more a case that my first thing had the R1 at 10s...spammage.

Though, to an extent - that minute CD whether it is 1-5 - will get us to think more about when we do use it. Do we use it - do we wait - if we use it, we're going to have to wait.

It's a common mechanic in several games out there...but for the life of me, I can't remember if they worked differently.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 635
# 359
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
THe other problem which is partially why I suggested being able to choose which level you fire it at is the fact that say you do wait till level 5 but you're only in a small jam, and tier 5 is more than you need.

If you only need level 3, fire level 3 and pay level 3s cost, then you have to wait less time and you still have som power saved up. it also means you could combine stuff, say fire off a level 3 quantum absorption and then level 2 warp shadow (though it would put your core on cooldown longer than a single level 5).
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,637
# 360
04-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Hrmmm, I know we haven't had the chance to fly certain ships yet - but folks have flown some of the ships that those BOFF layouts/Console layouts are based on.

The T5 D'Deridex Retrofit...has the BOFFs/Consoles of a Mirror Vor'cha.
The T5 Ha'apax (RA)...has the BOFFs/Consoles of a non-Fleet Heavy Cruiser Retrofit.

Those will be...ahem...interesting with the reduced turn rate in comparison. Will definitely be something one would have to fly. It just seems off.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM.