Captain
# 31
04-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Romulus and Remus are sister planets in much the same way that Earth and Venus are: one is temperate, the other is hellish.
NASA's Kepler scope has found a system about 1200 lightyears from here with what appear to be two terrestrial-style planets, both in the star's Goldilocks zone. One, massing about 1.4 times Earth, is at such a distance that if it's got an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, the average climate would be comparable to Hawaii (thus, probably unbearably hot at the equator); the other, at about 1.7 Earths and in the next orbit out, would be more comparable to Alaska.

So maybe the idea that Remus/ch'Havran is at a distance to have a livable climate on the dark side, and be tidally locked to Eisn, is within the realm of possibility (noting, of course, that if the world is tidally locked, and the dark side is habitable, the light side must be hellishly hot - and living underground would be reasonable, what with the constant hurricane blowing between the day pole and the night pole...).
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah. . . I wouldn't call Earth and Venus sister plants in that regard. . . Venus is more than just hellish, it's totally nonviable.

Now, that bit on the NASA probe is interesting. Indeed, that could be the kind of system that ch'Rihan is in. ch'Rihan itself is described (and shown, from what little we see of it) as a far more temperate world than Vulcan, and considering the climate of Vulcan, a planet with an Alaska-like climate would probably be outside the viable range for colonization. On the other hand, a Hawaii-like planet, even in the temperate zones, would probably be idea. . . at worst, the equator wouldn't be any more inhospitable than Vulcan itself.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandersalvek View Post
and barring some of nemesis and all of JJs atrocity
Hey, I liked the new Star Trek. Among other things, it got rid of those ridiculous forehead ridges on Romulans!
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Anyone know the Romulan word for "technology"?

It's for a Foundry mission I'm working on.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 35
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Note the Star Trek books are essentially licensed fan-fiction, nothing more. They are not canon, even in the absence of other canon sources that contradict them. So, using the Romulan books for ideas about how you might write your Romulan characters or foundry missions is great, but they are not authorities on how you should. Furthermore, if you want a romulan word for something, you can look it up... or just make it up. Either way is equally accurate, as far as Star Trek "reality" is concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Anyone know the Romulan word for "technology"?

It's for a Foundry mission I'm working on.
technology (n) - iahwil'dhenn

From the language site linked a few posts up.

And, while the books may not be canon, Cryptic is certainly using them for inspiration. . . just look at all the Rihannsu language references scattered throughout the game: mol'Rihan, Ra'kholh system. . . mnhei'sahe is even referenced directly by name during one of the Episode missions.
Captain
# 37
04-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
And, while the books may not be canon, Cryptic is certainly using them for inspiration. . . just look at all the Rihannsu language references scattered throughout the game: mol'Rihan, Ra'kholh system. . . mnhei'sahe is even referenced directly by name during one of the Episode missions.
S'harien is referenced a bunch of times too. He even has a mission named after him, "S'harien's Swords".

One of the New Romulus missions mixes up S'harien and S'task, though.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 04-25-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 38
04-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
Note the Star Trek books are essentially licensed fan-fiction, nothing more. They are not canon, even in the absence of other canon sources that contradict them. So, using the Romulan books for ideas about how you might write your Romulan characters or foundry missions is great, but they are not authorities on how you should. Furthermore, if you want a romulan word for something, you can look it up... or just make it up. Either way is equally accurate, as far as Star Trek "reality" is concerned.
To me the best thing about "soft canon" - essentially anything that isn't the shows or movies - is that each fan can pick and choose for themselves what they want to acknowledge and what they want to ignore. Can really do that with the shows and movies as well, I know a guy who goes mysteriously deaf any time someone brings up Star Trek V.

That's why I love Star Trek, cause there's so much of it and it is so varied that every fan can personalize it.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I know a guy who goes mysteriously deaf any time someone brings up Star Trek V.
Gene Roddenberry?
Survivor of Romulus
# 40
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Gene Roddenberry?
lol

Anyway, thanks for the language links. I've never read these books, but I do like to throw in references from the expanded universe in my Foundry missions. Not sure if anyone gets the references, but if they do, it's a little extra fun.

My upcoming missions geared toward Romulan players will feature a villainous organization called the IDE, or Isahhae'edh hsah iahwil'Dhenn nnea Eahesam. Roughly translated as "Destruction Through Advancement of Technology." There's another fun reference for anyone who gets it