Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
# 81
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
I love laughing at all the arm chair starship designers criticizing this ship.

Hey, how many of you actually work in the design field in any capacity?

How many of you keyboard warriors actually work for a movie studio?

Didn't think so.

And you folks wonder why the word at large laughs at Trek fans.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 967
# 82
04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
"Star Trek: the Motion Picture", "Star Trek: Nemesis", "Star Trek: 2009", and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" had massive enemy ships. Another interesting reoccurring plot device is 'revenge'.

One of the reasons why "Star Trek" was on the decline was due to recycled story elements. Regardless about how they redress the franchise, the overall problems that are plaguing "Star Trek" still remain. Its rather sad.

According to a few early released reviews, the movie is a mix bag of excitement and missed opportunities. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is begin described as fun; however, the movie also contains moments that leave you angry.

*shrugs*

We will have to wait and see.

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" may have been boring to some, but it was a work of pure science-fiction. I do not believe Abrams can make a "Star trek" movie, which mirrors movies similar to "2001 Space odyssey", "The Time Machine (1960s)", and "The Black Hole". Even though his movies are entertaining, Abrams cannot make movies that contain intellectual depth.

Last edited by linyive; 04-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,510
# 83
04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneelift View Post
I love laughing at all the arm chair starship designers criticizing this ship.

Hey, how many of you actually work in the design field in any capacity?

How many of you keyboard warriors actually work for a movie studio?

Didn't think so.

And you folks wonder why the word at large laughs at Trek fans.
I'm a tattoo artist and also do design consultation in various mediums.

Want to tell us what you do, before getting on your high-horse?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,795
# 84
04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I'm a tattoo artist and also do design consultation in various mediums.

Want to tell us what you do, before getting on your high-horse?
With what you've said in this thread, I think he knew you did work with design, and therefore knew what you were talking about

But there were many who do not as well, which he was aiming that post towards
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,907
# 85
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Mostly I was talking about the people who've come down hard on this movie virtually since it was first announced, without ever even seeing the very first trailer. The name "Abrams" just seems to stir some people in an unpleasant fashion; I wonder if it has to do with Lost, which I've never seen. (I don't blame him for Revolution, which I have seen - it's clear from interviews that that show is almost entirely Eric Kripke's fault.)

The design of the Vengeance is - interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I do have to remember that the Galaxy-class took some time to grow on me. I suppose it'll all depend on how it looks in action, much like the newest Enterprise design (I thought it was too bulbous at first, but it's well-designed for big-screen action).

The only way Into Darkness is going to disappoint me, however, is if it turns out that "John Harrison" is in fact Khan Noonien Singh - I thought that would be a horribly stupid plot point when the rumors first started, and I still think so today. I'm open to almost any other possibility.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 529
# 86
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
The design of the Vengeance is - interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I do have to remember that the Galaxy-class took some time to grow on me. I suppose it'll all depend on how it looks in action
Well I've heard speculation that the picture isn't the finished version. So it may look better in the film.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,795
# 87
04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Mostly I was talking about the people who've come down hard on this movie virtually since it was first announced, without ever even seeing the very first trailer. The name "Abrams" just seems to stir some people in an unpleasant fashion; I wonder if it has to do with Lost, which I've never seen. (I don't blame him for Revolution, which I have seen - it's clear from interviews that that show is almost entirely Eric Kripke's fault.)

The design of the Vengeance is - interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I do have to remember that the Galaxy-class took some time to grow on me. I suppose it'll all depend on how it looks in action, much like the newest Enterprise design (I thought it was too bulbous at first, but it's well-designed for big-screen action).

The only way Into Darkness is going to disappoint me, however, is if it turns out that "John Harrison" is in fact Khan Noonien Singh - I thought that would be a horribly stupid plot point when the rumors first started, and I still think so today. I'm open to almost any other possibility.
Nah I don't think the hate started with Lost, as that was an original series. Star Trek 2009 on the other hand was a VERY different reboot of a series that many took and take seriously...

So they're probably just using Lost as a scapegoat to fuel their arguments, having barely given it any thought before (the average person I mean; no doubt some have personally seen it).
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 355
# 88
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
That ship looks bad-ass ...
________________________

Subscribed For: 1600+ Days
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
# 89
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintaris View Post
WTB T5 Vengeance.
I echo this sentiment!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 90
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Good to see JJ is continuing with exciting stuff as he rewrites the best Star Trek series ever, TOS.

Just because a ship doesn't look like something excreted it like all the Next Gen ships do doesn't make it ugly.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 AM.