Captain
# 91
04-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
"Star Trek: the Motion Picture", "Star Trek: Nemesis", "Star Trek: 2009", and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" had massive enemy ships. Another interesting reoccurring plot device is 'revenge'.

One of the reasons why "Star Trek" was on the decline was due to recycled story elements. Regardless about how they redress the franchise, the overall problems that are plaguing "Star Trek" still remain. Its rather sad.

According to a few early released reviews, the movie is a mix bag of excitement and missed opportunities. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is begin described as fun; however, the movie also contains moments that leave you angry.

*shrugs*

We will have to wait and see.

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" may have been boring to some, but it was a work of pure science-fiction. I do not believe Abrams can make a "Star trek" movie, which mirrors movies similar to "2001 Space odyssey", "The Time Machine (1960s)", and "The Black Hole". Even though his movies are entertaining, Abrams cannot make movies that contain intellectual depth.
In that case, Star Trek II through XI are in the same category as Trek XII by your logic.

However, I do like the Vengeance, it fits nicely into the new Universe. You forgot First Contact and Insurrection had massive enemy ships. I mean First Contact's massive enemy ship was in the opening scenes of the movie. The Voyage Home's Probe and The Search for Spock's Excelsior could also count as a massive enemy ship from the character's view.

Re-imagining Trek was the studio's idea, not Abrams, he just provided the details.
Captain
# 92
04-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
You forgot First Contact and Insurrection had massive enemy ships. I mean First Contact's massive enemy ship was in the opening scenes of the movie. The Voyage Home's Probe and The Search for Spock's Excelsior could also count as a massive enemy ship from the character's view.
For that matter, TMP. While V'ger itself wasn't very big, it had surrounded itself with an energy field that was about a quarter the size of our solar system, and from the "cruising past stuff on the way in" views, the superstructure it had constructed must have compared favorably to a medium-small planet...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 93
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneelift View Post
I love laughing at all the arm chair starship designers criticizing this ship.

Hey, how many of you actually work in the design field in any capacity?

How many of you keyboard warriors actually work for a movie studio?

Didn't think so.

And you folks wonder why the word at large laughs at Trek fans.
I am a professional Graphic Designer, and have done work for both movies, and games. (One of the latter due out this fall) And I can tell you, that's not the most creative ship ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
However, I do like the Vengeance, it fits nicely into the new Universe. You forgot First Contact and Insurrection had massive enemy ships. I mean First Contact's massive enemy ship was in the opening scenes of the movie. The Voyage Home's Probe and The Search for Spock's Excelsior could also count as a massive enemy ship from the character's view.

Re-imagining Trek was the studio's idea, not Abrams, he just provided the details.
I don't mind massive enemy ships. I just find the Naradaprise kind of lazy.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 94
04-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
With what you've said in this thread, I think he knew you did work with design, and therefore knew what you were talking about

But there were many who do not as well, which he was aiming that post towards
No, I think kneelift is someone who thought they could undercut everyone's opinions by questioning people's occupations, which is an attitude I find highly distasteful.

- Someone might not be a chef (or even know how to cook) but they would still know when they get served a plate of poorly cooked food...

- Someone might not be able to drive, but they would still know when the car they are in is being driven unsafely...

- Someone might not be a professional photographer, but they would still know when they are looking at a badly composed photo...

For someone to imply that because someone does not work in a very specific field, that they have no right to an opinion on a subject (other than praising whatever is dished up) is highly distasteful, IMHO
Captain
# 95
04-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
The name "Abrams" just seems to stir some people in an unpleasant fashion:
Mostly because he's a talentless hack who has somehow managed to make it into the industry, only to flood it with a lot of mediocre and pretentious garbage. The execs seem to treat him like he's some kind of wunderkind, yet his output is does not live up to the hype. As someone posted over the page, JJ could not produce a work as spectacular as 2001: A Space Odyssey or ST: The Motion Picture if is life depended upon it. He does nothing more than ride on the coat-tails of whatever franchise he's decided to work on and remake it in his own image.
Lt. Commander
# 96
04-25-2013, 05:54 AM
He has good connections from the J lobby

And the movie...
Lieutenant
# 97
04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Mostly because he's a talentless hack who has somehow managed to make it into the industry, only to flood it with a lot of mediocre and pretentious garbage. The execs seem to treat him like he's some kind of wunderkind, yet his output is does not live up to the hype. As someone posted over the page, JJ could not produce a work as spectacular as 2001: A Space Odyssey or ST: The Motion Picture if is life depended upon it. He does nothing more than ride on the coat-tails of whatever franchise he's decided to work on and remake it in his own image.
And what Hollywood studio do you work for?

How many films have you directed?

Didn't think so.
Lieutenant
# 98
04-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Mostly I was talking about the people who've come down hard on this movie virtually since it was first announced, without ever even seeing the very first trailer. The name "Abrams" just seems to stir some people in an unpleasant fashion; I wonder if it has to do with Lost, which I've never seen. (I don't blame him for Revolution, which I have seen - it's clear from interviews that that show is almost entirely Eric Kripke's fault.)

The design of the Vengeance is - interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I do have to remember that the Galaxy-class took some time to grow on me. I suppose it'll all depend on how it looks in action, much like the newest Enterprise design (I thought it was too bulbous at first, but it's well-designed for big-screen action).

The only way Into Darkness is going to disappoint me, however, is if it turns out that "John Harrison" is in fact Khan Noonien Singh - I thought that would be a horribly stupid plot point when the rumors first started, and I still think so today. I'm open to almost any other possibility.
Boy are YOU going to be disappointed then!

Just wait till you see them transfuse Khans blood into dead Kirk to bring him back to life.
Lt. Commander
# 99
04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneelift View Post
Boy are YOU going to be disappointed then!

Just wait till you see them transfuse Khans blood into dead Kirk to bring him back to life.
Oh my no spoilers eh ?
Lt. Commander
# 100
04-25-2013, 07:57 AM
It looks like the Enterprise-E's retarded sister...

I always thought STO's Chimera was the ugliest ship... I have been proven wrong.