Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,676
# 51
04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Unavoidable fact is its an item-centric game. Cryptic sells items, they want to keep the item focus. Players like items, they make the game more interesting and forgiving. Items will have to figure into the equation. Also theres no palatable way to nerf ships (ala the bugship), and those are items, so unbalanced items will have to stay.

But, some of it can be dealt with by capping modifiers. Lets say, max turn rate modifier for escorts is N--if the bugship is below the cap at normal power then it will still turn better normally, but when it tries to juice up the speed it will hit the cap, or maybe some other ship can hit the same cap by maxing speed and hitting a deuterium burn. So the ship would have value as an item but it would not be completely out of whack across the board like now.

Mod caps do a couple more useful things. For one thing they make it possible to balance around known ranges, which we dont have now. It also provides an opening for a deliberate crafting system.

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 04-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,049
# 52
04-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Unavoidable fact is its an item-centric game. Cryptic sells items, they want to keep the item focus. Players like items, they make the game more interesting and forgiving. Items will have to figure into the equation. Also theres no palatable way to nerf ships (ala the bugship), and those are items, so unbalanced items will have to stay.
In the recent UGC, Geko definitely has plans on adding more and more itemization to the game.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 682
# 53
04-25-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
In the recent UGC, Geko definitely has plans on adding more and more itemization to the game.
Geko also said at some point in the past that the only reason they don't sell (boff) powers in the c-store is that they can't because of technical limitations in the game.
http://hilbertguide.com
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,049
# 54
04-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Geko also said at some point in the past that the only reason they don't sell (boff) powers in the c-store is that they can't because of technical limitations in the game.
Funny you mention that - because he also talked about changing the way you train BOFFs, including how you train BOFFs for other folks. He wants to make them skill books...

...which in turn, given what you've said here, could be something that he could sell in the C-Store.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 677
# 55
04-25-2013, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beameddown View Post
what the dinosaurs back from 1st season gotta get through their heads is..

(god bless you all, you invented all the classic builds and strats)

but,

the game is evolving.

welcome to where team play is king and defense is what matters (not to mention its not always anymore of what $ can buy for your build will mean "auto win" but what your build is)

GONE are the days of 1 build to rule them all!!!

(love this by the way, about time we get closer to rock, paper, scissors)

TIRED I am of seeing the same boff powers poped in the same order on the same silly cookie cutter ships

It's TIME for a reset-

Things to think about:

How can I catch a ship that DECLOAKS and alpha's me? (not to mention, live to get him)

HOw can I FIND a ship that is cloaked? (sorry folks, all the complaining about klinks and their cloaks will be a thing of the past with the romulans coming into the factor for fed)

How do I bridge the gap between EPTS?!? (yup, we all get a bit weaker after it goes live, you all complained about sheild tanking being OP, well- this is Cryptic's FIX so deal)

How do I DEAL with shield DRAIN!! (ya, face it folks, going to be some serious dps and shield drain in the coming months, so when you get the respec, might want to look into what skills do what)

How to deal with all this SCIENCE!! (face it, wider arcs and PLENTY of ships boff layouts to take advantage of it will just be a simple difference of those that know what skills/consoles to slot to min/max it VS those that just sloted a boff for sh!ts and giggles)

FINALLY!

OMG why cant I HIT anything!?! (yup thats right, tac's going to have a trait that de-buffs your acc------ so ya, get use to being focused fired on and not being able to fire back for love or money)

some major love i see coming out for sci,

some great options for tac,

and eng being the wild card with the new trait either making a HUGE dif in pvp (as in the cooldown going way after a spike for miracle worker) or meaning nothing in pvp ---

side note: GOD I hope this new trait for eng is a game changer, eng has being needing LOVE for SOOOOO long its not even funny, (I run 5, ya thats FIVE tac captains on fed and klink, 1 sci and my first character.... an engineer.)

I love the IDEA of an engineer! (who doesnt love scotty or geordi! hell, even obrian or tuker.. comon! they keep the ship together!, its time the engineers come back with a vengence to pvp BESIDES JUST heal boats!!)
Very few people have anything against an evolving game, pandas in general (Just sayin) we love new stuff being brought in game. It makes stuff more complex, new builds to work on. If we were still stuck in Season 1-2 the game would be boring as hell after 3 years.

What we are against is that every time something new is added to the game it widens the gap between PvP newcomers and oldskool players by an average of a month, or a few hundred bucks.

Keep it up and at some point we wont see any new player get into PvP anymore even if they are willing to, and we get into the negative numbers, what gives?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,764
# 56
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfader1988 View Post
Very few people have anything against an evolving game, pandas in general (Just sayin) we love new stuff being brought in game. It makes stuff more complex, new builds to work on. If we were still stuck in Season 1-2 the game would be boring as hell after 3 years.

What we are against is that every time something new is added to the game it widens the gap between PvP newcomers and oldskool players by an average of a month, or a few hundred bucks.

Keep it up and at some point we wont see any new player get into PvP anymore even if they are willing to, and we get into the negative numbers, what gives?
Not to mention it sours the pvp play for some of us old tmer enthuisists whom get tored of constantly having to chase the next seemingly required options to remain on par.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,784
# 57
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Not to mention it sours the pvp play for some of us old tmer enthuisists whom get tored of constantly having to chase the next seemingly required options to remain on par.
Yes that is one point (and a very good one)... and the other way it sours us... is by drying up the pvp pool.

New players almost lay down half the time... when there is new players around.

Right now the community has built some good will with things like the boot camp and I do see lots of new faces in pvp which is great. The more and more grind that is added for people to do before they can play with the big boys though... makes building that good will harder and harder.

As it is I am sure the boot camp guys talking to new players say... "well its best to use this or this" and I am sure lots of those new players answer with "ok I'll have to start grinding for that I guess". Right now its not to insane a few weeks of pveing every day and they have what the need... but down the road its going to get out of hand.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 310
# 58
04-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Yes that is one point (and a very good one)... and the other way it sours us... is by drying up the pvp pool.

New players almost lay down half the time... when there is new players around.

Right now the community has built some good will with things like the boot camp and I do see lots of new faces in pvp which is great. The more and more grind that is added for people to do before they can play with the big boys though... makes building that good will harder and harder.

As it is I am sure the boot camp guys talking to new players say... "well its best to use this or this" and I am sure lots of those new players answer with "ok I'll have to start grinding for that I guess". Right now its not to insane a few weeks of pveing every day and they have what the need... but down the road its going to get out of hand.
I don't understand the complaining about "power creep". Its called advancement. I understand PVP has some issues if you consider that according to the matchmaker a 50 is a 50. But that is a matchmaker problem. I think they should take a bunch of the pvp players and bootcamp users and make a great big pvp roundtable to plan for a pvp season update with more maps, matchmaking, etc.


I think the game will dry up if they don't keep giving us ways to get stronger as characters. So the options are raising the level cap or adding more stuff like this.

Also, those who complain about what you have to do for reputation, don't make me laugh. This game is so casual its not even funny. You need to participate in 15 - 30 minute events about 30 times (with 20 hours in between) to complete a reputation system.

Take a look at a more "serious business" MMO (and not like WoW, I mean one of the ones not created in North America, like Final Fantasy XI) and see what you need to do to get the top end gear. There are items in that game that require -years- of weekly 2-3 hour events to earn. And that earns ONE item for ONE person out of the 18 people required to do it. And while this is a ludicrous example (but absolutely true, and I've seen people with three of those items btw)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 677
# 59
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by originpi View Post
I don't understand the complaining about "power creep". Its called advancement. I understand PVP has some issues if you consider that according to the matchmaker a 50 is a 50. But that is a matchmaker problem. I think they should take a bunch of the pvp players and bootcamp users and make a great big pvp roundtable to plan for a pvp season update with more maps, matchmaking, etc.


I think the game will dry up if they don't keep giving us ways to get stronger as characters. So the options are raising the level cap or adding more stuff like this.

Also, those who complain about what you have to do for reputation, don't make me laugh. This game is so casual its not even funny. You need to participate in 15 - 30 minute events about 30 times (with 20 hours in between) to complete a reputation system.

Take a look at a more "serious business" MMO (and not like WoW, I mean one of the ones not created in North America, like Final Fantasy XI) and see what you need to do to get the top end gear. There are items in that game that require -years- of weekly 2-3 hour events to earn. And that earns ONE item for ONE person out of the 18 people required to do it. And while this is a ludicrous example (but absolutely true, and I've seen people with three of those items btw)
You obviously do not see the issues at all, perhaps this is only obvious for long term pvpers?

The nice thing with WoW or any other more 'serious business' MMO is that there are like 100, if not 1000 times as much PvPers playing there then here. Sure keep going if u want to decrease that 0.5% of the occasional PvPers even more.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,784
# 60
04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
For a "casual" games it is one of the more grindy games I have played... and I am even including eve in that. lol

This game is unique in what they can do in terms of new things to keep people happy.

Its trek... as such all they have to do is keep releasing new ships to keep people happy. They don't have to be any better just new. Being a game with a strong already built IP its not hard to keep us happy by throwing us bones like Jem ships / wells classes / tholian ships / romulan ships / andorian / klingon / gorn / naus / orion / kat folk / vulcan / telerite / Hirogen / Husnock / Suliban / Talaxian / Vidiian / Fek'Ihri / Cardassian / Breen / Iconian / Remen.... and ton of others.

They can give us things like the dual proc weapons.

What they don't have to do is keep adding passive boosts through rep grinds.

Your right it doesn't take to long to grind one rep... really.

However at this point we have 2 and shortly 3... and shortly after that 4... Down the road your right they can raise the cap or add more rep. Which do you honestly think they are going to do ?

At some point a new player is going to have 20 hours of game play x 5 or 6 or perhaps even 7 before they have everything... and likely they will have to have at least half of that to be even remotely competitive. At that point PvP is as good as dead.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.