Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Community Moderator
# 21
04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Just for starters, block unconfirmed F2P accounts from sending email until they complete the tutorial. Boom you just added an hour to their time costs without harming legitimate users.

Or, you know, limit the volume of mail on new accounts to 5 mail per hour.
I know they limit chat for new users and thought they did for mail, too.

Do we know for a fact that mail is not limited for new users?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 22
04-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I know they limit chat for new users and thought they did for mail, too.

Do we know for a fact that mail is not limited for new users?
Both chat and mail share the same limits. Either for the first 20 hours of play, has a Zen balance (though not sure if it means those bought for cash or dilithium) or has made a c-store purchase. Meeting any of these conditions will unlock the mail system.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fr...eatures-matrix
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
IMHO, in-game mailboxes should be locked until later into the game (level 10? 20?) So these goldfarmers would get tired of leveling up characters just to spam their e-mail advertisements.

And never know, PW could take advantage of these spammers by offering early mailbox unlock for a cost of 1000 zen.
Captain
# 24
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Send screens of the in-game spam to the email host and web host (if you can find it) and they willl yank the account(s) eventually
Career Officer
# 25
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't post your email everywhere, don't take part in the "get free zen" scams...

That should keep theese mails out of your box.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Captain
# 26
04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Don't post your email everywhere, don't take part in the "get free zen" scams...

That should keep theese mails out of your box.
... what? we're talking about spam to our in-game @handle from another in-game player/spammer
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
... what? we're talking about spam to our in-game @handle from another in-game player/spammer
TBF given the OP title you can see how confusion might arise
Captain
# 28
04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I, for one, have come up with a creative solution to this problem.

Try to play their game.

You see, I've responded to the past two mails with "I'd love to buy some, but I need to make sure it's real first.", trying to provoke them into A: proving they don't have the EC, B: tricking them into giving me some free EC, or C: ALMOST tricking them into doing so.

So far, neither mail has been answered.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 29
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
oddly enough ive never had one of these mail chains and hope i never do. i occasionally get fleet spam invites, they are annoying as you like. i setup my own fleet to avoid just that, all my alts on fed side there at least. bypassed the problem.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Career Officer
# 30
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Meh... in that case, don't post your handle at random forums...

I havn't recived a single of theese so-called spam mails in 3+ years.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports