Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 91
04-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
nope we have peace loveing farmers
CBS said no to sneaky, evil Romulans. Why do people keep making these topics when CBS said no, no playable RSE, no Tal'Shiar? Not now. Not ever. Period.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,107
# 92
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
CBS said no to sneaky, evil Romulans. Why do people keep making these topics when CBS said no, no playable RSE, no Tal'Shiar? Not now. Not ever. Period.
How do you know that?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 599
# 93
04-25-2013, 11:29 PM
ugh... this thread reminds me of Starscream from the Transformers... ALL versions of them. All of them were not afraid to backstab their more powerful leaders and they were all sneaky as well.


I guess this thread gives me a bit of insight to the minds of a lot of STO players... so they want to be the bad guys?
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 443
# 94
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
CBS said no to sneaky, evil Romulans. Why do people keep making these topics when CBS said no, no playable RSE, no Tal'Shiar? Not now. Not ever. Period.
I see what you did there.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,107
# 95
04-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
ugh... this thread reminds me of Starscream from the Transformers... ALL versions of them. All of them were not afraid to backstab their more powerful leaders and they were all sneaky as well.


I guess this thread gives me a bit of insight to the minds of a lot of STO players... so they want to be the bad guys?
I want bad guys to beat up, what are you talking about?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 599
# 96
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Sorry. I just got the impression that some STO players want to BE evil, backstabby Romulans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 233
# 97
04-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
Sorry. I just got the impression that some STO players want to BE evil, backstabby Romulans.
RSE is no more evil then Klingons or Cardassians our, different culture with different values compared to the Federation. In STO the RSE got lump together with a very evil Tal Shair in their storyline.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 758
# 98
04-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Playing as the republic , tal shiar or rse. You wouldn't consider yourself an evil romulan! The kdf don't, the Klingons are fighting with 'honour' but you'd think they would be evil since they want war. Feds may see that as evil the kdf don't. What the Feds think of the kdf shouldn't matter. It's the internal perspective of a faction that dose, not what the federation thinks.. So with romulans regardless that outsiders might see me as a bad guy, I'm actually the good guy to romulan faction. Well that's the way it should be.

If we make every one too much like the federation things will just become very pointless very quickly
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,517
# 99
04-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
Playing as the republic , tal shiar or rse. You wouldn't consider yourself an evil romulan! The kdf don't, the Klingons are fighting with 'honour' but you'd think they would be evil since they want war. Feds may see that as evil the kdf don't. What the Feds think of the kdf shouldn't matter. It's the internal perspective of a faction that dose, not what the federation thinks.. So with romulans regardless that outsiders might see me as a bad guy, I'm actually the good guy to romulan faction. Well that's the way it should be.

If we make every one too much like the federation things will just become very pointless very quickly
I agree. In the big 4-hour interview, Gecko even says that the Klingons 'aren't evil', yet they enslave and kill civilians, routinely employ torture as a informatio ngathering technique, form of execution, and just for the heck of it. And that's when they can be bothered to take prisoners at all, even after they surrender.

If we are going to apply moral relativism, we should at least apply it evenly to the Romulans. In many ways, the Romulans are actually nicer than the Klingons.

At any rate, as I have mentioned, just because you might be RSE, doesn't meen you would have had to be complacent with the Tal Shiar's self-destructive psychotic tendacies. There could have been an episode arc where their plot is uncovered and it becomes the job of the RSE navy to clean hosue. I doubt the odl Sela would have had a problem with this, because she could have used it as an excuse to restructure the Tal Shair afterwards to her liking.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 318
# 100
04-26-2013, 04:22 AM
I have to agree that the story of the RR on Tribble so far is pretty decent, and it's a good story. However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.

Personally, I take that as a negative. When one thinks of our favorite Romulans from the shows, we think of the ones we saw and loved seeing. (Mostly in TNG but also in DS9 and the others.)

Romulans like the canny Tomalak, T'Pel/Selok and Mendak, Taris, Pardek and Neral, and of course Donatra, and even Sela.

These are the characters that define Romulans for me, and I imagine many others. Unfortunately, I don't feel that these are the type of Romulans we're playing. It seems like a no-brainer to me that you'd want to give players the ability to play the type of characters that they enjoyed from the shows, the type of character that defined the race in the minds of many. That's not the direction they chose to go in, though.

To be perfectly honest, from what I've played on tribble, the Romulan story actually feels more Bajoran than Romulan.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.