Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
# 561
04-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Make base power levels -10.

As the singularity charges give +1 every level of charge until all power is -5 at full charge plus whatever bonus one would receive from a particular core.

I would suggest the power bonus be + 10 for a + 5 to a system to make it closer to the +7.5 that warp cores receive.

Have the singularity charge faster while cloaked, perhaps twice as fast as when not cloaked.

This would give Romulan captains time to plot their next devious move.

Make the cool down to charge the singularity 30 seconds with the 50% reduction from the T'Varo console making it 15 seconds plus whatever bonus you may receive from certain cores.

Singularity abilities should come with a 60 to 180 second cool down based on their tier.

Plasma Shockwave 60 seconds
Shield heal 90 seconds
Warp Shadows 120 seconds
Exploding Gravity Well or whatever it's called 150 seconds
Overload 180 seconds


This way we get faster charging but eliminates spamming higher powered abilities.


Warp Shadows:

Make this behave more like the Shard of Possibilities for space.

Have the shadows actually move so they follow and pseudo attack your target.

The shadows should grab aggro/ targeting from any npc/player that had been targeting them.

Give the shadows 500% threat so to draw npc fire.

You should automatically cloak when engaging this ability ignoring any cool down that may have been in play.

The shadows should last for around 30 to 45 seconds.

A scenario where a target chooses to ignore the shadows and does not notice you decloak in the middle of them could fall victim and hesitate to respond quickly enough to your attack which sounds very "Romulan" indeed.

The Overload ability:

Sorry that I don't use the proper name or know how it will work but I have an idea for it.

My idea for this ability would be at max power you would receive a 5 second burst of +20 power to all subsystems or +15 over max for a Warbird.

After the power ends you are left with -30 power to all subsystems with a minimum of 5 in any subsystem that was below 35 to begin with.

You also lose you boff powers for 5 seconds.

You would recharge you power levels normally but your singularity recharge would not happen until all subsystems were at their -10 start levels or 30 seconds whichever is longer.

The 30 seconds would be affected by the T'Varo console but only if the -10 power levels had been reached so the longer would still prevail.

You could have the most devastatingly powerful alpha in the game at the cost of crippling yourself without cloak being the prey to your targets PvP teammate or have a second alpha chance with the cloak there to get you out of trouble.

It would seem to be the perfect example of the high risk, high reward Romulan philosophy at work..

These numbers and times are all subject to change and enhancement but the concept of these two abilities are what I'm trying to showcase here.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
# 562
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxx500 View Post
*snip*
I don't think singularity overcharge drains your starship's energy levels to fire. The text on the dev blog says it drains power from your warp core to significantly boost the effectiveness of energy weapons for a short time. Now we typically think of pretty much all meaningful levels of ship power coming from the warp core and would think that draining the warp core makes all your energy levels drop, but I think they just mean it drains all that stored power from the singularity gauge to boost your energy weapons for a short time.

Last edited by wrathofachilles; 04-26-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
# 563
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Is there any negative to using the overcharge ability then?

If not, it would seem one can have the reward without risk.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
# 564
04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxx500 View Post
Is there any negative to using the overcharge ability then?

If not, it would seem one can have the reward without risk.
I wouldn't take the "High risk, high reward" thing too far. I think it just refers to battle cloak, which is a very risky maneuver, your shields drop and if you don't have enough stealth/the enemy has enough stealth sight, a large ship like the D'Deridex shouldn't be too hard to stay on top of and attack despite the cloak. So provided you survive the cloaking procedure, you get a high reward in the form of a few seconds bonus to weapon damage when you decloak.

In regard to the singularity abilities, I think they are looking at balancing that out by gimping the ship in some other area, like they've said, reduced power levels, fewer boffs, fewer consoles, something. So I'm not sure the singularity powers are supposed to come with a 50% chance to blow yourself up by using them or anything like that, lol.
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
# 565
04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I just saw blog 10.

So Warp Shadows gives you a jump with some kind of semi belated cloak?

I only used it once and was not too impressed by the statues of my ship.

Singularity gives you a jump with debuffs but not much damage, so 2 jumping powers?

Singularity Overcharge seems as if it could be OP so everyone will only use this ability at end game.

There is no real danger in just super buffing your weapons at least not mentioned.

This is kind of the reason I suggested having individual cool downs for the abilities that were linked to their tier.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 243
# 566
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxx500 View Post
Sorry that I don't use the proper name or know how it will work but I have an idea for it.
This is why I keep saying "wait and see, wait and see." We don't know exactly how 2/5s of the powers work, and we have people dismissing them ALL as "gimmicks" (which, btw, tells me that they're too lazy to think of how to use it to its best advantage.)

We have two methods for reducing the cooldown between uses of Singularity skills, one of which we haven't even been able to get our hands on yet (T'Varo console), with other methods that may yet come (from traits, DOffs, etc.) and yet people are already clamoring "cut the cooldown! it's useless to me!"

We haven't seen a fraction of what the system can do, but people are taking the most superficial glances at it, rejecting it as "broken", and throwing out "fixes" willy-nilly.

CHILL, people. Wait and see. Actually TEST the damn things.

Also, pay attention while you're testing it. I'm seeing a lot of people saying "plasma shockwave sucks, it's useless!" because they stopped watching after the initial disappointing burst, not realizing that more than three times the initial damage was going straight to the hull after the burst.

And always remember, if you don't like the singularity system, with its particular perks and flaws, you always have an out; a whole wealth of ally and lockbox ships are available to you too.

EDIT: Case in point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxx500 View Post
So Warp Shadows gives you a jump with some kind of semi belated cloak?

I only used it once and was not too impressed by the statues of my ship.

Singularity gives you a jump with debuffs but not much damage, so 2 jumping powers?
I would LOVE to have Warp Shadows in Infected Space Elite, as I'm always the one making a kamikaze crowd control run on the spheres at the gate. When someone pops one generator well before the rest, I'm charging over to the gate to use TB Repulsors to push back the spheres, and then pin them down with Gravity Well to buy as much time as possible. Since I use Evasive Maneuvers to get there in time, I have to get away under standard power, and since TB Repulsors decides to tick off the gateway ~90% of the time, it's usually not safe to cloak. So when the transformer goes down, I have a swarm of angry, angry spheres (and/or a tac cube) all after me (because of the damage from TB-R and GW) and still on cooldown so I can't run away. I would LOVE to be able to drop 5 indestructible clones behind me to take the heat off long enough for me to get away. Or, if I'm lined up properly and we needed yet another delay, a singularity jump to slow them down (and if the transformer pops while it's active, well, I'm 5km further away and they have an accuracy debuff.)

I cannot WAIT to get this into STFs.

Last edited by hyouki; 04-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
# 567
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxx500 View Post
I just saw blog 10.

So Warp Shadows gives you a jump with some kind of semi belated cloak?

I only used it once and was not too impressed by the statues of my ship.

Singularity gives you a jump with debuffs but not much damage, so 2 jumping powers?

Singularity Overcharge seems as if it could be OP so everyone will only use this ability at end game.

There is no real danger in just super buffing your weapons at least not mentioned.

This is kind of the reason I suggested having individual cool downs for the abilities that were linked to their tier.
I'm sure it won't always be most advantageous to use the overcharge ability, there will be times where taking the heal is most critical to stay in the fight or ducking out through shadows is your last ditch maneuver to prevent yourself from staring at the respawn timer. The singularity jump could be just what you need to get an escort off your aft and keep it busy for a few seconds to give you the opportunity to get away or reposition yourself to take it out. So I don't think the overcharge will be the only ability anyone ever uses.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
# 568
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
This is why I keep saying "wait and see, wait and see." We don't know exactly how 2/5s of the powers work, and we have people dismissing them ALL as "gimmicks" (which, btw, tells me that they're too lazy to think of how to use it to its best advantage.)

We have two methods for reducing the cooldown between uses of Singularity skills, one of which we haven't even been able to get our hands on yet (T'Varo console), with other methods that may yet come (from traits, DOffs, etc.) and yet people are already clamoring "cut the cooldown! it's useless to me!"

We haven't seen a fraction of what the system can do, but people are taking the most superficial glances at it, rejecting it as "broken", and throwing out "fixes" willy-nilly.

CHILL, people. Wait and see. Actually TEST the damn things.

Also, pay attention while you're testing it. I'm seeing a lot of people saying "plasma shockwave sucks, it's useless!" because they stopped watching after the initial disappointing burst, not realizing that more than three times the initial damage was going straight to the hull after the burst.

And always remember, if you don't like the singularity system, with its particular perks and flaws, you always have an out; a whole wealth of ally and lockbox ships are available to you too.
Well you don't have ally ships at end game, so not really, but lockbox ships would be an option... a super expensive option. But then I don't see the point of playing a romulan and playing a non romulan ship... especially not one that doesn't cloak at all... let alone battle cloak since many of the traits seem to revolve around that tactic.

If the damage from the plasma shockwave is ultimately comparable to the hull melt from the experimental beam plasma hyperflux, that will be pretty sweet. I remember using that ability and thinking "meh... that didn't do much." and then the hull on the enemy starts... well... melting, lol. They may not be having that ability be boosted by tactical consoles to prevent a fully plasma romulan from being OP, or only making it particle gens so that a romulan who doesn't want to take plasma weapons doesn't obviously gimp their plasma shockwave... though it does strongly encourage (I won't say force) you to take particle gens when you might not otherwise... which reminds me, I need to pop in and figure out for sure if particle gens increase plasma dot damage for plasma weapons and torps...

I'm sure the devs are taking feedback with a grain of salt. They have the bigger picture and may have it planned out that once you get to end game and equip up, the singularity powers cool faster or become more powerful or both. But I think one of them also mentioned it was good to know if it felt underpowered or lame at lower levels cause they want it to feel good and useful at all levels.

But you're right, we're not going to know how this thing really performs until we can see what doffs/equips/traits affect it and in what ways and to what extent. The devs want to keep progression in mind, and since there's progression, they feel it can't start at its best. The players may be saying "the cool needs to be 30 seconds!" well... that might be what the devs intend at the end of the day once you've put the appropriate core and traits and doffs in the mix... and they may have it set up so that you can use your abilities more frequently or accept the current cool and have them be much more devastating/effective instead. We'll just have to wait and see... though it seems it would be most productive to show us everything before asking our opinions. On one hand, It's like showing us nothing but the kitchen and asking us what we think of the house. On the other, it does give them what our gut reactions are to the system when we see nothing but the beginning. They want that reaction to be good, but they also know what the rest of the house looks like, so if we say "this kitchen is crap and this house would be insufferable unless every room had its own bathroom." Well... maybe every room does have its own bathroom and we just haven't seen it yet.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,229
# 569
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathofachilles View Post
I wouldn't take the "High risk, high reward" thing too far. I think it just refers to battle cloak, which is a very risky maneuver, your shields drop and if you don't have enough stealth/the enemy has enough stealth sight, a large ship like the D'Deridex shouldn't be too hard to stay on top of and attack despite the cloak. So provided you survive the cloaking procedure, you get a high reward in the form of a few seconds bonus to weapon damage when you decloak.
Geko reiterated it in the 4:20:19 UGC interview. Warbirds have that hybrid-assassin playstyle going for them. Ships are classes to him. BoPs are assassins. The Warbirds are different types of assassins.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
# 570
04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Geko reiterated it in the 4:20:19 UGC interview. Warbirds have that hybrid-assassin playstyle going for them. Ships are classes to him. BoPs are assassins. The Warbirds are different types of assassins.
I know. I listened to the whole thing, but I don't think the idea of "high risk, high reward" is intended to extend into something like "pulls all the energy out of your shields to deliver a devastating blow!" By which I mean all the hp in your shields, not your shield power. In which case, if you didn't destroy your enemy, you've now wasted your shields and they might blow right through you.

I think that the biggest "high risk, high reward" of bops is simply the battle cloak. Despite their low hull and shields, they can be remarkably durable depending on the skill of the pilot and how you build them, and they can do a considerable amount of damage, plus they are so maneuverable that their low shields and hull are largely compensated for by their ability to get out of an enemy's kill zone with relative ease. Where they will most certainly have the biggest risk is when they cloak, particularly by virtue of their low hull strength, but again, with the maneuverability and small size, they can cloak and be gone. A D'deridex on the other hand won't be that maneuverable even with battle cloak improving the turn and speed, and it's much larger, making it an easier target to find and stay on top of. So the D'deridex, I imagine, will take a tremendous risk when cloaking even with a thicker hull, perhaps an even bigger risk than a bop does.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM.