Ensign
# 1 Fleet assault cruiser
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Engineer captain, don?t have access to a Fleet assault cruiser as my fleet don?t have a T5 shipyard yet.

If I want to off tank but keep as much DPS as possible, which ship would be second best?
Career Officer
# 2
04-27-2013, 07:16 PM
The Regent. The Assault Cruiser Refit in the C-Store.

The Fleet AC-R is just an AC-R with 10% more hull and shields and a fourth tac console. The non-fleet version has lower maximum damage potential, but not by a huge amount, and it has the same boff layout so if you find a build that works for you it will directly translate over. Plus you'll get a 3-module discount on the Fleet version eventually.
Ensign
# 3
04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Sounds good to me , thanks.
Captain
# 4
04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
At least one fleet has been advertising T5 Shipyard access for ~10 Mil EC, so that's an option if you feel like grinding up that much plus what you need for modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0dann View Post
If I want to off tank but keep as much DPS as possible, which ship would be second best?
Fed side, best would be lock box ships that have good HP and can take DHCs, like the D'Kora or the Jem'hadar HEC and Dread ships. Galor, even though it can't take DHCs, makes a pretty good broadsiding cruiser as well.
Career Officer
# 5
04-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Well Fleet excelsior is almost as good, as same console layout as Fleet Regent, available at shipyard tier 3 and then ensign engineer boff can have EPtW to compensate for the WP boost Regents enjoy. Also Excelsior has a better turn rate 8 v 7.
Also VA Excelsiors have Lt. Cmdr Tac as well.

Unless of course losing the ensign Tac to ensign Eng causes problems for the build you've set up.

I fly a regent for my main and was tempted by the fleet excelsior but still being a tac slot down the weapon boost and having a fire at will on my ensign spare Tac I decided to keep to it and simply upgrade when the time comes. Presently working on our tier 4 shipyard so tier 5 will happen one day.
Ensign
# 6
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom61sto View Post
At least one fleet has been advertising T5 Shipyard access for ~10 Mil EC.
They don't want much then

Don't get me wrong - I understand it takes a lot of work to get to T5.
Ensign
# 7
04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions some good advice in here.
Ensign
# 8
04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom61sto View Post
lock box ships that have good HP and can take DHCs, like the D'Kora or the Jem'hadar HEC and Dread ships. Galor, even though it can't take DHCs, makes a pretty good broadsiding cruiser as well.

Are lock box ships are a big gamble? I mean in terms of trying to get one? It's not something I have ever looked into really. Are my chances of getting a ship I want pretty silm? If I get one I don't want do people trade or just dump them on the exchange?
Captain
# 9
04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Are lock box ships are a big gamble? I mean in terms of trying to get one? It's not something I have ever looked into really. Are my chances of getting a ship I want pretty silm? If I get one I don't want do people trade or just dump them on the exchange?
Very, very small chance to get one. In total, across various lock-boxes, I've opened several hundred by now and have never gotten anything better than mirror ships (which are level 40 remix ships).

That said, I have a Jem HEC on my main. I ground and saved up EC for it. Ironically, a large chunk was from selling keys (bought via trading Dil to Zen) to people on the exchange.
Commander
# 10
04-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Your chances to get one out of a lockbox are very small. If you want a lockbox ship, save up EC and buy it directly.