Commander
# 21
04-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Healing's scoring counter does seem a bit out of whack... took my ground tac character (100k points into ground skills, the rest into "kill stuff fast" space skills) with no science or engineer consoles in a stock level 40 science ship. I've had absolutely no experience with healing in space ever, I barely even heal myself in STFs because I go for those delicious Go Down Fighting numbers... I've taken first place every single time I've been in there, except once when there was another healer involved.

Not that I'm complaining. Switching up to heal/gravity well is certainly more dynamic than pointing my ship forward, parking and shooting. I'm enjoying space PvE for the first time in years.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I just noticed that just participating in a Tholian's demise is worth points. My best Sci/Sci runs have included Gravity Wells, Photonic ShockWaves and passive FeedBack Pulse to annoy the Tholian spawns, although I still mostly concentrate kinetic damage on the CE. I am not much of a healer. Perhaps apply some AoE (and enjoy the aggro) instead of hammering one Tholian to bits. Tacs should be able to manage some of that.
Captain
# 23
04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I've been doing it with my tac and eng toons, all using cruisers (since my armitage is a tet boat and utterly worthless here. I nearly always get 3rd place. note I don't dies as much and I'm a beamer for the most part.
Lieutenant
# 24
04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
While it does depend a lot on the PUG you end up in, I've gotten every placement possible on my Eng and Tac toons. Eng is in a Vesta, does excelent DPS and a bunch of healing, primarily on self to keep from going pop, but the fermion field does heal others as well, so it's a bonus. Tac is in a non-fleet armatige. Using the torpedo turret console helps when in range of the shards as well as the main target. In that one I use EM to get out of the way once it starts absorbing so I can survive the shockwave and pound on Tholians for a bit before returning to the Entity.

Ohh, before I forget, use Feedback Pulse, the 'matter conversion beams' will trigger the pulses and a good aux level/skill set will see almost 75% damage reflected. And the multi-dimensional graviton shield will protect from shards and help damage the entity for over 100% reflected damage if speced right. Now the real beast with the Vesta is the deflector phaser, with the right consoles and skill spec I've gotten it to over 4.2K DPS by itself. With maxed consoles (Mine are Mk XI blues) I'm betting it'd hit 5K DPS or bloody close to it. A rapid fire on three aux dual heavy cannons plus the deflector phaser plus the two power level eng abilities (plus power and drain resist) will keep the DPS maxed without having anything like APA available.