Captain
Ok, so I decided to start running Fleet Actions as a way to pass the time and earn Dilithium in preparation for Legacy of Romulus.

Since I am usually using the Public queue system, which automatic goes on the Need/greed system, I tended to monitor myself in relation to drop items.

If I was actually going to use the item for improving my build (I am rather low level on the toon I am using, so the build could use help) I would roll Need. If I was only going to sell the item for some quick EC, I would roll Greed. and of course if I didn't think it was worth my time either way, I would pass. I figured this was fairest to everyone, especially since I don't really know any of the other players.

The thing is, this usually resulted in me greeding on everything, so I end up getting nothing as someone else always rolled need. Now I am not complaining about other people's actions. They are free to do what they want, and I certainly don't expect a bunch of strangers to follow "my rules".

But my question is, Am I limiting myself for no reason? Am I truly being fair or am I just letting perfectly good loot go by because I didn't hit need? What is the generally excepted practice with public queue groups?
Captain
# 2
04-28-2013, 02:39 PM
I think if you're intentionally using Need/Greed and only choosing Greed you're intentionally letting good loot go by. Either don't use Need/Greed or choose Need and let the computer decide. Personally, I only use the base system when I team - and let each person's loot drops come however the computer deems necessary.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 3
04-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I think if you're intentionally using Need/Greed and only choosing Greed you're intentionally letting good loot go by. Either don't use Need/Greed or choose Need and let the computer decide. Personally, I only use the base system when I team - and let each person's loot drops come however the computer deems necessary.
Like I said, I am using public queues so as far as I know Need/Greed is all you get. but thanks for the feedback.
Rihannsu
# 4
04-28-2013, 03:00 PM
This is the policy our fleet uses, and I think it is a very good one.

With an all fleet team, use greed; that way if a member really does need a loot drop everyone can agree to let them need on it to have it.

With a mixed (fleet and non-fleet) premade team, use all greed by mutual consent.

With a team with even one PUG member, need on everything because just about everyone in the PUG queues are going to needing on loot anyways.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 5
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
In Public ques, expect everyone else to need on everything. They never greed. If you want loot from a public que you need to need on everything. With fleet mates its a different story entirely. but public hit need cause everyone else is.

ORDEROFPERSISTANCE CHATCHANNEL Album of my S8 Crash sigs. Free use to any who want them!
http://s179.photobucket.com/user/fis...line/s8%20sigs
Commander
# 6
04-28-2013, 04:34 PM
since this game is pay to win, why don't they just put a roll/pass button on it instead of need or greed and that eliminates all of this discussion.
Career Officer
# 7
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threat21 View Post
since this game is pay to win, why don't they just put a roll/pass button on it instead of need or greed and that eliminates all of this discussion.
this^^^^^ and plus there will always bee some one greedy
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Republic Veteran
# 8
04-28-2013, 06:18 PM
I used to do the whole "Need it if I need it, greed it if I don't" fair play rule in PuGs.

Then I realized everyone else was needing on everything, so now in PuGs I default to need. Otherwise you'll never get anything. A situation isn't fair when you're the only one being fair.

@Captain_Shephard - Join Date Status: Assimilated - Twitter: @RogueJawa

Set your course and come chart a new adventure in Star Trek Online with Priority One.
Email us here to join the official fleet of STO's premier podcast.
Captain
# 9
04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Since EDCs disappeared from the loot roll in STFs, there is nothing even worth needing on. Everything just clutters up my inventory, I always pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Career Officer
# 10
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Need, always.

The simple logical reason: As long as I can upgrade my character/ship/duty officers with Energy Credits (I still have not got 400 purple duty officers), I will need on everything that I can sell for EC.