Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 31
04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Meh... in that case, don't post your handle at random forums...
you're sure making a lot of assumptions today
Captain
# 32
04-26-2013, 03:28 AM
I have been seeing comments about this in game. However, so far, I have been lucky and not recieved a single one. Though I maybe tempting fate by saying that.

Anazonda you do not have to post your @name anywhere, everytime you speak it is there, it is posted ingame by Cryptic whenever one of the "Playerx@name has obtained ship y"announcements pops up in the middle of your screen. This means they are very easy to get. It is a false assumption to think people are posting it elsewhere.

Quote:
IMHO, in-game mailboxes should be locked until later into the game (level 10? 20?) So these goldfarmers would get tired of leveling up characters just to spam their e-mail advertisements.
I would never support such a thing, collective punishment is something I will always oppose. In this case piunishing all low level people for the behaviour of spammers is wrong. Add to that they wouldn't be here if people didn't buy from them.
Career Officer
# 33
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Won't work.

They are doing what they did with the earlier spam /tells. Hanging around crowded spots, targeting you then right-click. That lets you know your @handle.

The same goes with all those 'wait till X hours old' solutions. They just keep the accounts online until then. Doing the 'wait until Y level' will penalise certain players. Modifying this so that only accounts without any captains at a particular level or higher... another problem. After all, it's a F2P, do you really want to annoy potential customers? The same goes with blocking IP ranges and whatnot, that's frankly collective punishment and you'd be blocking some of your best/paying customers to boot.

I'm sure Cryptic can spend some more effort and time on this, but I don't see this being as big a problem as in the past. So in the meantime, try setting your Privacy options to only allow /tells from friends/fleet and see if that helps.
Captain
# 34
04-26-2013, 05:53 AM
The fix that doesnt require anything from Cryptic is the option in Social->Privacy to only allow mail from friends/fleetmates
Captain
# 35 Egpal and In game mail system
04-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Can we soon have a fix for these losers they are starting to get on my nerves.

Bad enough we had to deal with the in game chat now we have to deal with them spamming the in game mail system.

Getting really sick of these guys.

Egpal needs to get a life.
Captain
# 36
04-28-2013, 09:27 PM
There's always the option of spamming them back in real life. Remember that time they spammed the Spam King back in real life, by signing him up for some actual mail? Maybe after they receive a few truckloads of snailmail spam in return...
Captain
# 37
04-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
There's always the option of spamming them back in real life. Remember that time they spammed the Spam King back in real life, by signing him up for some actual mail? Maybe after they receive a few truckloads of snailmail spam in return...
That, or scam the scammers. The funny part is, I never hear from them again after sending that reply...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Career Officer
# 38
04-29-2013, 10:21 AM
I've been getting a lot of these spam mails, and what's disturbing is that they're not from randomly-named accounts like the ones that spam in Zone.

They're clearly originating from hacked accounts and we've heard nothing from Cryptic about measures being taken against that.
Ensign
# 39 Gold seller spam
05-06-2013, 09:10 AM
The past few weeks I have been receiving gold seller spam through the in game mail system. Is there something more I can do to help remove these examples of human excrement from my beloved game? How did they even get my @handle to send me this tripe?
Commander
# 40
05-06-2013, 09:40 AM
something need's to be done i have gotten 18 in the last 2 days